Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 08:08PM

For starters, why the hell do they run LATE AKA Mormon standard time? I was going to take a bus to the temple (I was meeting a dear friend there for lunch later on at a certain time) and the stake bus was supposed to be at my chapel by a certain time. I waited over a half hour and got so pissed I just drove to the temple myself. It was great to see my friend for lunch, though. :-D

Then while I was at the temple, my in-laws took care of my kids. The YM President was supposed to pick my DS up to have him help some Boy Scout doing his Eagle project (and the kid's only FOURTEEN!) at 9:00 am. Well, he was nice enough to stop by to say there was a change in plans and that he'd pick my son up at 1:00 pm. Of course, the rude jerk didn't even bother to pick him up and my MIL was PISSED! Now she really has a bad opinion of my ward and TSCC and I totally agreed with her. "Why the hell couldn't he have the decency to look up our last name in the phone book and call to say he wouldn't be coming over? There aren't very many folks in our town with our last name and he knew our address!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 08:09PM by imalive.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 08:21PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 08:23PM

I have a friend that used to homeschool her kids when they lived in Utah. She said it was unbelievable how the parents in her home schooling group behaved. Each of the parents was supposed to take a Friday and plan a lesson/activity but almost invariably, some or even most kids just wouldn't show up. Or, they'd show up and the family who was in charge of the activity that day had forgotten and so they just all went to the park. She said she'd spend time and money on a special lesson or activity and a lot of it just went to waste. And the parents would never call. This friend was so happy when she moved to Seattle and got in with a good, non-LDS home schooling group.

I also found dealing with Mormons in social situations extremely frustrating. The Mormons who used to live in our neighborhood had twin girls my daughter's age so we tried to invite them to things like birthday parties or water gun fights but they'd just never show up and without any explanation or even bothering to respond. After a few times, we gave up. Another time, my son wanted to invite a boy in the ward to his party and it was one of those parties where I needed an exact count of who was coming. I called this boy's mom a couple of days before the party because she hadn't responded to the invite and she said "Well, I don't know - we aren't sure what we are doing yet this Saturday." In other words, she wanted us to know they were waiting for a better offer. Her son didn't get invited to another party because I couldn't deal with his mom's bad manners (this is just one of several social faux pas she made).

I think Mormons get in the habit of being late for two reasons. One is that their social network is all late, bad-mannered Mormons and they never learn better. It never occurs to them that polite people find this constant lateness rude. They are just all social nerds together. Two, I've noticed I'm often late to things I really, really don't want to go to. Or, if I'm on time, I've waited til the last minute to get ready and am racing to get there on time. Because I don't want to be there in the first place. So I think Mormons don't really want to do a lot of their church stuff, drag their feet, get in the lateness habit and that bad habit is reinforced by their social group.

Just my opinion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 08:24PM by CA girl.

Posted by: Scooter ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 08:50PM

but you have defined the culture I live in to a tee.

Here in Washington Heights we call it Dominican Time. And it is exactly the same culture. Refusing to commit because, you never know, you might get a better offer.

But we run a tight schedule in our troop and if you've paid $40 for a trip that leaves at 6 pm. Guess what? By 6:10 we're headed across the George Washington Bridge.

Why? Because our funders are giving us grants to expose these kids to WHITE, MALE, CORPORATE AMERICA. And that means that the van leaves on time.

The mothers are invariably pissed that we don't refund their money. But the money on the van rental was spent whether their kid was in a seat or not.

The parents never get it. But the kids do. Now they're the young adults running the show, still referring to it as Dominican Time, and they're much harder asses than I ever was.

But that's how you break the fucking cycle. Took me about ten years.

Welcome to New York. We have a schedule to keep and deadlines to meet.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 08:57PM

As for me... this happens because the church is a class system. I am in the lower class while my wife is much higher up. She hangs out with the holiest of the holies in our ward. There are people these guys love and would lie for, others they like and would help, many they just ignore and the remaining ones they just shit on (in the best possible way).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/12/2011 09:01PM by Joe Laban.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: November 12, 2011 09:05PM

This is contagious. Some of these people treat people like crap, so they treat the people who they look down on like crap. They spread the love.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: November 13, 2011 06:19AM

Posted by: met ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 12:33AM

It's because many grew up in extremely religious households that mostly interacted with other Mormons. My Father's sister married Mormon and my cousins are Mormon. That's fine but her husband seems to be overbearing and her kids only socialize with other Mormons. They talk down Catholics in front of my poor foreign born mother and her family who are very religious but too polite to say anything back. they have always treated me as an outsider, belittling my mothers race and acting disappointed when they find out every visit that I do not speak my mothers native language.It is aggravating to deal with them. Now they are converting my grandfather who is already dead. My side of the family was not invited to my 2nd oldest cousin's wedding, because they did not want Non- Mormons in the temple or to be associated with them. I have Mormon friends at school and they are normal so I have no clue what happened.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.