Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: justsayin ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 09:37AM

What’s with all the tears and carrying on at GC, especially Eyring. I thought at any moment he was going to collapse in a ball of sobs. Between the tears and the noise and view of saliva slushing around in his mouth, I actually began to feel physically ill.

Maybe I remember wrong, but I thought back in the 90s the profit or one of the 14 chastised members for crying at funerals, because it should be a time of joy. Yet at GC we see rivers of tears and emotions. Shouldn’t people that have God’s one true gospel be the happiest on earth, with smiles ear-to-ear? Is this another case of do-as-I-say, not as I-do?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 09:42AM

People will say it was the Spirit.
In response I usually reply with "then why doesn't everybody cry?"
*crickets*

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 09:48AM

I have no idea. Maybe they are feeling a mixture of scared of all the media attention lately, and at the same time, validated by Mitt.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:14AM

When obviously, by the time you've made it to the big 15, you need it desperately.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 10:23AM

Foaming at the mouth in humans is a symptom of rabies.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 11:13AM

Eyring can't speak without croaking and crying.

Scott is just plain creepy ("Don't doooo itttttt! Just don't doooo itttt!)

And then there are the 70s who suck up so hard to the profit.

If Monson stopped suddenly their heads would pop through his a$$ into Monson's throat and out his mouth!

Posted by: Mormon Observer ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 12:21PM

Maybe he was overcoming stage fright by imagining everyone sitting there in their underwear or naked.

And his imagination worked!

Posted by: emanon (not logged in) ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 01:03PM

....and I only heard a few minutes of GC! For the one speaker I heard I asked myself, "Why all the sobbing? Is he using female hormones because of prostate cancer treatment?"

Posted by: Cathy ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:43PM

They need to show they're overcome by the spirit so everyone in attendance and watching immediately feels guilty if they too are not overcome by the spirit. Manipulation, pure and simple, and too many people buy into it. Year after year, decade after decade, I sat in church looking around wondering why other people seemed to be "feeling the spirit" and I didn't feel a flippin' thing. I never felt ANYTHING. Now I know why and I feel vindicated beyond belief.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:53PM

We all have been through the Mormon wringer guilt-trip.

Imagine what it must be like to be approaching the end of your life and realize that you've been faking until you make it your whole life and you are STILL a hypocrite.

I used to cry when I would speak, but the tears were tears of self-pity. I felt so sad because I didn't have the manifestations and miracles in my life that others did. Instead, I had problems. I felt despised and alone.

Now I realize that everyone else kind of felt that way too. They thought I was having those manifestations and was "blessed" while they were just slogging along in the pits because of their own transgressions.

Another dimension of the King not wearing any clothes.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:55PM

Methinks they may be channeling Jimmy Swaggert?? He was the grand champion crying shyster "Christian" of all time.

Ron Burr

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:55PM

To anyone outside of the cult, it is VERY creepy. Mormons are so clueless, that they think that it makes a positive impression. I LOVE when Mormons cry at the pulpit because it makes them look like the Cultists that they really are.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 02:59PM

I would cry too if I was a member of a cult. Pretty simple.

Posted by: mostcorrectedbook ( )
Date: October 09, 2012 03:14PM

Yeah. I have realized that they have often played the "crying" game and used highly emotive language to convey that it is the Holy Ghost confirming the "truth".

Goshdarn it! I was so suckered!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.