Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: nw gal ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 02:47AM

I am addicted to politics. Seriously. I cannot explain this, but I constantly have to check updates, watch it on tv, listen to talk radio. Normally I can do this and I enjoy it, I enjoy being informed, I like some of the back and forth, tit for tat as my husband calls it, and I feel very passionate about my liberal values. HOWEVER, as of late it has been very stressful. The last couple of days I am walking around with my stomach in a not and at times my heart is even racing. I know this isn't healthy.

I really really HATE the attitudes that seem to come from conservatives lately. No offense to any of you that are conservative. It's not that I hate the people, but I do not like that kind of thinking and subsequently I do not want to really talk to them much.

So last night I googled "overcoming political addiction" The one and only entry that had anything to do with political addiction was a guy who wrote a blog about how he was addicted to politics (also a liberal) and how it was keeping him from forming friendships with conservatives etc. Guess what he said he did to break his addiction? He decided to start attending his LDS ward more regularly as it forced him to get to know conservatives as people, etc etc. I kid you not. So I said to myself "That's not gonna happen" A lot of help google was. Everything else was about alcohol and drugs, which I never touch but if I can't calm down about politics it might be my only hope, lol!

I know some people will say, I drank the kool-aid, blah, blah, blah. Yes, I am well aware that politicians are not always in it for us little people, I know they are slaves to their corporate masters. That's part of my interest, trying to spread the word about getting money out of the political system. Might be a hopeless cause, but I am very well aware of how it all works, no kool aid needed.

So to those of you who do not have this interest the solution might seem simple: just stop watching, listening discussing etc. I am trying to do just that. I actually tried to go on facebook to remove myself from all my political groups. I might have to get my kids to do it for me because every time I tried to remove - "Ooh, I have to read this it's important to know" My email is full of political crap too that I have to delete. I work at a job where people like to come in and discuss politics. ALL of them seem to be conservative despite living in the most liberal city in the nation. My boss is conservative and always has talk radio playing. I can't quit my job, and yet politics are constantly being thrown at me at work.

The tough part for me is this feeling of needing to be informed and feeling like these things are important to know, and yet also this information is basically giving me panic attacks.

Tonight I was also drawn into a political discussion with a neighbor, on facebook. She would put me down without coming out and saying things, you know that condescending way that Mormons do that and she is not Mormon btw. I actually have not felt that hurt or insulted by anyone since we left the Mormon church 15 years ago. Now I do not like her and don't want to see her, but she is my neighbor so there's no avoiding that.

Anyone else dealing with similar issues? Am I the only fruitcake? If you have dealt with this and overcame, how did you do it? As long as it doesn't involve going back to the Mormon church!

Please be nice and respectful!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: BadSheep ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 05:01AM

I know how you feel. There was a time in my life when I didn't care much either way about politics. I only voted in general elections, and even then I only voted for president because I didn't know enough about the other issues.

That all changed for me during the Prop 8 debacle. I began watching the debates, learning the issues, deciding my personal stance on things that are important.

I felt like the last presidential election was so important. I spent more time than ever watching politics, and felt so proud that I was able to vote in such a historic election.

I feel like this election is even more important! And for me, politics have become an emotional issue. I no longer discuss politics with friends because I cannot seperate my emotions from the topics. I read the news and watch election coverage rabidly. I even hosted a viewing party at my house for the recent Bill O Reilly v Jon Stewart debate.

I pester my husband, I cajole my family members and I frequently remind people on facebook that it is so important to vote! I'm sure people are getting tired of it. But I really can't help it. My state is deciding marriage equality this November. I honestly cannot wait for my voter's pamphlet to show up in the mail.

I know exactly how you feel. I can't wait for the election to be over. Then the outcome will be decided, one way or the other, and I feel like I'll finally be able to relax then!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 05:51AM

I think you are normal! I know a lot of people that are heavily involved in politics, and they do stress out about it. I think individual voters get frustrated, when they feel powerless. You might do well to become more directly involved--at least you will be doing something about it. You will meet friends that are more like-minded.

My cousin is running for office, and I help out whenever I can. Of course I get knots in my stomach! Of course I'll be upset if he loses! I have the dates of the Presidential and Vice Presidential debates in my calendar, with alerts! I won't be doing anything else those nights.

Here are a few suggestions, of things I do to calm down, and I like your suggestions, such as staying off of Facebook. At work, it would drive any sane person nuts to hear conservative political radio programs all day long. Bring your i-pod, and some good ear phones (the kind that stops ambient noise.) Just as we're doing here on RFM, during election time, have conversations with people who agree with you. At this point in the elections, it might do you more harm than good to argue. Statistics show that the debates seldom change people's mind. There's nothing wrong with telling people to vote, so keep on doing that, and I will, too! Someone said that she was not going to vote, and I said, "Give me your absentee ballot, and I'll vote for you!" I wasn't serious, of course, but wanted her to know that not voting was the same thing as giving your vote over to the opposition. I know a Democrat and a Republican who are married to each other, and every year they cancel out each other's vote. Lighten up, and get your mind off the subject.

Voting with an absentee ballot would be less stressful for you. You can take your time about it, and you won't have to go to the crowded neighborhood polls. One year, the voting took place in my old ward house. I had not been inside a Mormon church since I resigned, and it was very disturbing for me to go back there. The place had the same stench, and was unheated. My heart was pounding. The woman who took my name was from my old ward, and, that's right, she had the nerve to say, "I haven't seen you in church for a long time!" I said, "That's because I haven't been there." I was so upset that I reported her, and complained that there should never be voting in a church. Next year, the voting was at the school, again.

Also--it is perfectly OK to not like someone! Your neighbor, for example. It is like saying "no." In the Mormon church, you are supposed to say "yes" to everything anyone asks you to do, and you are supposed to LIKE everyone. Mormons have ASSIGNED friends, such as the VT's, HT's, the missionaries, the bishopric, and all the leaders. In real life, you have a right to avoid someone, and not give any reason at all. If there are conservatives you do like, you could make a joke about avoiding them until after the election. I am in charge of my office, and I'm always saying, "No politics or religion in the workplace." It's just policy, that's all, and nothing personal.

Keep up the good work!

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 09:01AM

Seriously, I'm going to look for a rehab after the election...

Okay, all kidding aside, in the "Instant Information Age" we live in, there are powerful forces at work and if you're going to forgo the "comfort" that such "medicaiton" offers, then you'll have to deal with the consequences from withdrawal from the payoffs.

I don't know why you would want to be friends with many conservatives however. I was an asshole when I was one.

Posted by: taketheredpill ( )
Date: October 10, 2012 11:28AM

My post probably won't help you:

I was also addicted to politics while Ron Paul was still in the race. I never thought someone like this could have been in a presidential race. It was amazing to watch. Some might say he's too idealistic, or revolutionary, but that's how ideas work their way into the mainstream.

You might be a RP supporter, or a Libertarian already.

If not:
Politics is another Rabbit-hole much like coming out of the TSCC. You realize the truth of the situation. Endless political rhetoric by the duopoly talking heads. Though they differ on a few social issues (which the fed gov shouldn't be involved in anyway) there really isn't much difference between them. I affectionately refer to them as "Republicrats." People who believe in and trust the status-quo. But, it all comes back to giving up our personal liberty to Uncle Sam (a child molester).

Once you let go of Dems-Gop, you free yourself, much like realizing the truth about the MORG/TSCC.

Free your mind!

Unless, you already have...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2012 11:30AM by taketheredpill.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.