Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 01:07PM

I tried a few times...because I thought I should in case I was missing something by not reading it. I never got past about page 3, because it was stupefyingly BORING! I never once in all my life have had a testimony. Same deal with the Bible. And my dear parents, both with callings in the church, never told me I had to read any scriptures....I still have the triple combination that belonged to them but everything else went into the landfill.

Ron Burr

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: hexalm ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 05:45PM

I recall it being incredibly boring when my parents would read it to us, although I think my dad was better at reading with some feeling than my mom, who got kind of monotonous, eventually. Not sure how he managed that.

I think I did manage to read the whole damn thing, at least for seminary if not on my own some other time (I seem to recall at least one abortive attempt).

But yeah, pretty boring and difficult to get through (let alone get anything useful out of).

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 05:59PM

Tried reading the Holey Babble.

Fell asleep.

Tried reading the Book of Marmints.

Fell asleep.

Tried reading the Pile of Great Poo.

Fell asleep.

Tried reading the Doctorin' My Countenance.

Fell asleep.

Tried staying awake during Gen'rul Cawnfrunzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Fell asleep.

I feel damn lucky I didn't develop narcolepsy before I turned 23.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:32PM

Never did crack the POGP or the DAC...no clue what's in them...and nothing I ever heard quoted from either in sermons or SS classes stuck...

Ron Burr

Posted by: fabfeline4me ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:34PM

Just a general observation....one, no never read any BOM,etc., just thought it was a big ol waste of time when there so many other great things to read, and have always been a voracious reader,BUT and this is a big one and sort of a question also, when the MOs speak or write, it seems like they take a common word, then break out the MO thesaurus, and find the most obscure,least commonly used, replacement, and then string them all into some kind of obscure sentence.

Now I am college educated,fluid in medical terminology and all of the Latin and Greek forms of words, but am amazed when I read articles or replies from the TBMs, I find myself...lost...oh wait not lost...oooooh let me get my thesaurus.....;)

Posted by: fabfeline4me ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:40PM

Oops I meant fluent...not fluid...dang....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.