Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: October 11, 2012 08:09PM

Sometimes unwanted contact doesn't respond to anything but something quite drastic that makes your point, loud and clear.
That was the impetus for this small door sign.

I only used it once for a short time following some behavior from some missionaries that was inappropriate. (They didn't respond to any of our clear messages that we could not help them with what they wanted.)

THE DOOR SIGN:

NOTICE:

I am under no obligation to:
avoid all loud laughter,
lightmindedness,
evil speaking of the lords anointed
or any other impure or unholy practice

Enter at you own risk
Rachel, My New Name

(Big Smiley Face here!)

I put it on the inside of the window in my front door then I watched the Mormons that came to my door read it! It was priceless.:-) I had vinyl blinds that could be adjusted so I could see them but they could not see me.

For those that have been to the temple, this statement is from The Law of the Gospel, one of the temple covenants. As the temple is so sacred it is not to be discussed, seeing this statement on a door can be quite a shock! And humorous.

Law of the Gospel: We are required to give unto you the Law of the Gospel as contained in the Holy Scriptures; to give unto you also a charge to avoid all lightmindedness, loud laughter, evil speaking of the Lord's anointed, the taking of the name of God in vain, and every other unholy and impure practice, and to cause you to receive these by covenant.

REST HERE:
http://www.lds4u.com/lesson5/templecovenants.htm

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2012 08:10PM by SusieQ#1.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: pigsinzen ( )
Date: October 11, 2012 10:42PM

That's funny.

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: October 11, 2012 11:09PM

If it were me, this is what my sign would say:

Dear LDS (Large Dangerous Scheme), I have requested that you not contact me. Why are you here, if not to harrass me? Since you are still here and still want to talk with me, I will do so under the following circumstances, with the intent to sue you:

1. I will set up my video camera to record our conversation;
2. I will send a copy of our video taped visit to:
a. My attorney
b. The District Attorney
c. YouTube
3. I will ask you the following questions before you are allowed to speak:
1. Here is a notarized copy of my letter sent to Pres and Bish ABC, and XYZ requesting no contact. Here is the Post Office receipt verifying that both received it. Why are you here, then?

You should know that my home security system has video taped you outside my door. I see that you have read my door sign regarding contact from the LDS.

I will then ask you why you didn't depart from my front entrance?

You can then ask questions, into the camera, but I will not reply other than to say, "why are you here?

Date: October 12, 2012 12:35AM

That will put an end to unwanted contact also!

Posted by: quinlansolo ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 09:25AM

How do you cope with with real challenges in daily basis?

Posted by: agentpi ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 01:40AM

If I really wanted to never, ever be bothered by Mormon missionaries, I'd just paint a naked woman on my front door. Maybe I'd have her partially on the door and partially on the wall so that the doorbell would be one of her nipples or something.

Imagine a missionary trying to ring THAT doorbell.

Posted by: wondering ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:41AM

I went to the used book store. I keep copies of the BOM and Quran on the table by the door. I offer the JW the BOM and the TBMs the Quran. No one has bothered me for a long time. I think my address is flagged.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 03:02AM

Wanted to share another trick my son (the atheist) used with some sadly misdirected JW's. When they offered him a copy of the "Watchtower," he replied, "Tell ya what. I'll read your Watchtower if you'll promise to read the Book of Mormon."

Boy, did they beat feet! And I haven't seen any other ones come around since then!

We have a rainbow-colored pinwheel decoration displayed prominently on our porch. This just might tip people off that ours is a somewhat liberal household, and not likely conversion material.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:48AM

Wow that is actually a good idea. I need to go buy some copies of the quran!

Date: October 12, 2012 09:03PM

wow..lots of ideas that work for folks that need to make a statement to the LDS that they want to be left alone....

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 09:11PM

I may have to do that too.....wish my home phone was smart enough to stop calls from the SP. Blocking numbers should be easier. Just got one before supper tonight to invite me to stake conference this weekend. I guess President/Dr. Evanson hasn't removed my number from his call out list....funny thing given the fact he is party to my resigning....

Ron Burr

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:24AM

Do you have an answering machine?

You may also consider changing your number. Sucks, I know, but sometimes you have to do desperate things.

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:30PM

I'm not that worried to paranoid about it. I guess I could always call him tell him not to call anymore...if I actually cared...

Ron Burr

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 04:36PM

Unplug your phone during mealtime.

Last week, the battery backup my phone is plugged into died, along with everything else plugged into that battery backup.

I Didn't realize this (I make all outgoing calls on my cell) until my sister sent me an email asking why I wasn't answering my phone.

I put off getting it fixed for another week...

It was the nicest two weeks I've had in awhile.

The minute it came back on, a telemarketer called...

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 11:04PM

I love that sign, SusieQ! It's one of my favorite funny things here.

Good to see you posting. Good health wishes to you and your hubby.

Date: October 12, 2012 11:24PM

Hi Dagny..
Thanks for the good wishes. We are maintaining as well as we can-all things considered. We deal with life one day at a time.
I come and go here... when time permits.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 12, 2012 11:09PM

Fantastic signage.

Posted by: emma ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:48AM

What i would like to know is how you got away with doing a sign like that being married to a tbm?

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:57AM

Nor do I want possible legitimate mormon visitors to be insulted.

Finally, the bishop is required by law to keep his official mormon representatives off my property. That includes the driveway, the front walk and lawn, and the private road and curb in front of my house, not just the front doorway. Any official mormon is already a trespasser if they intrude on my property and come up to the house close enough to read a sign.

Date: October 13, 2012 05:37PM

Like I said before, I didn't hide the small door sign from my husband that I placed on the front door. He knew it was there for a short time.

Hubby was a bit annoyed with the pestering missionaries and told me to "take care of it" when they called. So I did. One in particular would call when he was busy and demand to speak to him because they claimed they wanted a ride to and from an appointment and wouldn't accept my answer, that my husband was busy and couldn't help them anyhow.

Besides, they had bikes, it was nice weather, they could ride there in just a few minutes and I told them that. Even gave them directions. But, they had a lot of excuses about how that wouldn't work. For some reason, they had the idea that they could call my husband anytime they wanted a ride and he would stop what he was doing (or leave work) and help them. That was not going to happen.

My hubby saw the sign, thought it was a little bit extreme, but like I also said, I only used it once - just a few days-- until those missionaries came back again, which I knew they would. Then I took it down because it fulfilled it's purpose and I had a good laugh! :-) I threw it away years ago.

My husband was not one to follow some kind of priesthood order where I was to obey him (he knew that would never happen anyhow) and if I wanted a blessing, for instance,he would tell me to ask whomever I wanted. This is another story that upset a man I asked, as he told me my husband was to ask him and proceeded to chastise me in the blessing to "follow the priesthood in your home". My husband said it was my choice. I could ask anyone. He didn't have to do it.

I never asked that idiot to assist my husband to give me a blessing again. My husband knew I would not appreciate him chastising me in a blessing for healing right before I was going in for surgery.

I also wanted to make sure my husband was OK with my choice to resign my membership. He was. And I did. That was a few years later.

I hope this answers all your questions.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:20PM

How about one of those needlepoint "Home Sweet Home" type framed pictures in the entry that says:

Health in the navel
Marrow in the bones
Strength in the loins
And in the sinews
Power in the Priesthood
Be upon me and upon my posterity
Through all generations of time
And throughout all eternity

Make sure to add lots of hearts and flowers.

Nobody would understand the significance except for unwanted Mormon visitors.

Posted by: ipo ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 07:02PM

Needlepoint all THAT? You have no idea how long that would take and how disgusting it would feel to work on it. Maybe a cutesy card with scrapbook stamps instead? Much faster. Ready in a couple of hours. (Otherwise a good idea with the bonemarrow wish!)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:14PM

I don't know any of that stuff. ;) But you're right about feeling disgusted writing that out, much less hanging it up in your entry. Bleah!

Forget I said anything. :^)

Posted by: the outlander ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 06:30PM

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: October 13, 2012 08:22PM

my dear late husband would say "I am an orthodox jew and you are disturbing my Sabbath." That usually worked.

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 04:55PM

Mine used to say say a large amount of the reported stories about Kimball how he lived how he did the allegations of wearing dresses etc. Of course I used newspaper articles which were not a morg approved source.

I took it down when mishies said who is Kimball?

It's quite pointlerss dealing with mishies at all sometimes. He had still been alive when theses mishies flew out. Who is Kimball?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 15, 2012 04:57PM

I promised a customer a copy of your door sign for their door. They already have one that says.

We Love our Country
Support the Troops
Believe in Organ Donation
And Already Have a Church.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.