Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 08:48PM

He called to invite us to the family disaster prep home evening. This after I got those texts last week from my SIL re: her bishop asked her to take an inventory of our entire extended family's food/water supplies.

Really? Why would they think we are interested in any family home evening, much less one where we would disclose how much ammo, weapons, & emergency supplies we have?

Maybe it shouldn't bother me so much, but it still f*cking bothers me. I declined, maybe a bit rudely. I feel strangely proud of myself. Is that wrong?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: blueorchid ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:03PM

Yay! I was biting my nails until I got to the word declined.

You will master the classy refusals soon enough. I've got your number.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:13PM

I can understand how getting invited to an FHE where your possessions would be inventoried by a church you neither believe in or belong to in order to prepare for a end-of-the-world scenario you really don't see coming would annoy the heck out of you. Mormons just presume everyone that was ever Mormon secretly, if not outwardly, agrees with them. They also fear having to feed you if the worst happens. My mom would visit my sister in college and buy food storage for her, so she'd be OK til she could refugee home to where the real stockpiles were. She'd buy nasty freeze-dried crap too, so my sister wouldn't be tempted to eat it if money were tight one month. It was meant for Armageddon.

Standing up for yourself is never wrong - you should be proud. Even if you went because you were mildly interested in the 72-hour kit aspect of it, like the Red Cross recommends, it would have deteriorated into religion and prophecy. And the inventory for the ward aspect of is creepy to me. Tell them thanks, no thanks and move on. They aren't trying to be rude but are assuming you share an interest in something they are interested in. You were smart to set your boundaries.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:25PM

I hope you clued the bitches in on what precise part of "MY stuff" was none of their effing business.

Mormons - finding a new way to be nosey as hell every day of the year.

Posted by: frankie ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:49PM

don't do it!!!!! this is none of those mormon's business. The mormons want it done, so they can take you stuff away from you in the name of the church. If something were to happen they would make you feel guilty for not giving the stuff up. Communism

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:57PM

I guess one of the reasons I am so bugged is this: after our dog died last weekend, some family members converged on our house in the name of sympathy early Sunday morning. You know, just to remind us of the plan of salvation, blah, blah, blah. Maybe they mentioned it before I told a certain sibling to basically gtfo of my house. I can't remember.
How long does it take for them to stop trying to save the heathens?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 09:58PM

Frankie and these other posters have their number. Think about the temple pledge. Your stuff is their stuff and they want to know where it is so they don't have to spend your tithing money to buy it.

They'll just come to your house and go Law of Consecration on you.

Anagrammy

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: October 16, 2012 10:05PM

The most messed up mo I have ever met was a refugee from a fringe mo survivalist group. I can't get my head around the type of logic that drives the teaching of survivalist dogma.

Good for you for refusing. We are prepared for a a disaster, but not end times. So far this year I've been in three earth quakes one a 7.1 haven't needed to crack open my first aid kit yet.

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 17, 2012 02:06AM

Mormons are so stupid. It would take the general public about 5 minutes to remember/learn that those crazy Mormons horde large amounts of food in a major disaster.

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: October 17, 2012 02:20AM

would be the LAST thing anyone would want to, or even be ABLE to use.

I highly doubt anyone is going to want to chew wheat kernels when they get hungry and the power is out.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 17, 2012 07:37AM

I had to laugh when one Louisiana woman was asked about her lasting memories of Katrina. She said she would never forget the smell of the water with rotting bodies, second only to the smell of wet storage wheat after it got wet and burst its metal storage container.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.