Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Searching ( )
Date: October 20, 2012 05:48PM

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/sex-death-and-the-meaning-of-life/4od#3428958

I just watched this little video from richard dawkins. The part that struck me was how religious people masturbate and are just as sexual as non but the difference is in how they feel about it. When religious people act human and are taught to feel guilty it has quite a debilitating effect on them psychologically. I remember growing up how alone, and terrible I felt every time I masturbated.

It was surprising the first time I told my mission president how ok he was with it. I thought for sure he was going to send me home. And it was eye opening as I left the mormons to realize that its not evil and how many people actually do masturbate.

I feel angry at the church for making me feel like such an evil and terrible person. They caused a lot of damage to me and to many others.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 04:54AM

Since we know that religion is about fear, and pushing people to act out of fear, religious people are FEARFUL of most sexual things. I categorize Mormons in with all religious people when it comes to sex. Religious people are fearful of sex, they are fearful of anything that will lead them down that path to wickedness. Religious people are afraid of gay people, which foments hate (even if they dont think its hate) because being open about sex outside the lines really freaks them out. Fear creates self-loathing, and hate for others.

So I agree with you. Religious people are NO DIFFERENT - biologically - than non religious people (or religious people who are simply very sexual and express themselves openly.) Religious people "choose" to repress their sexual activity because of fear, but its still there. Horny bastards exist the world over, in every group and every setting. Religious groups go to great lengths to contain sexual activity.

NOW, if people could be the opposite of what we are now (in general) that is SMART about sex and completely 100% free and open about sex - with NO FEAR - we would be far better along than we are now.

People are different and sex drives are different and fear of god or the unknown varies amongst people - the only way to combat it is a very open and liberal position towards sex (and other such things). This means ALLOWING everything (legal) and not just allowing it, but embracing people for everything they are...my leaving TSCC has taught me to be free sexually and embrace things I once feared. It has taught me to get smart on humans, and not fear those who are different.

No more fear....now back to tuggin' my bird.

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 05:04AM

Add to it - not just religion, but parents and society also create fear of things sexual.

Parents will never encourage their children to become gay; good parents will not encourage their children to go out and have lots of sex with random people (even if they themselves did it and came away unscathed.) And parents need to talk to their kids about the risks of sexual activity and hope that their children make it out of their teens unscathed and with wisdom about the "ins-and-outs" of sex. We as parents really do need to ensure our kids know about sex - this is tough for parents because no dad wants to sit and teach his kid about throwing on a jimmy hat (but somehow this impetus must come from fearless parents.) My wife will buy our teen daughters vibrators, and I am - through oblique father language and innuendo - ensuring that my son knows that "tuggin your bird" is great - just dont let mom or sisters catch you and NEVER stick your gym socks in the toilet to hide the evidence. Just kidding... its up to parents to STOP fear, educate well, and then hope that kids will turn out fine. I do not see a religious father in the world telling his son that sexual experimentation is fine, so long as you know the rules and the risks...thus perpetuating another generation of religious kids who go bat shit when confronted by scary sexual things.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2012 05:05AM by Yaqoob.

Posted by: Mnemonic ( )
Date: October 21, 2012 05:30AM

It seems to me that when public figure are involved in sex scandals, the more religious a person is, the kinkier the scandal.

Democrats seem to get in trouble for having mistresses or visiting prostitutes.

Republicans seem to get in trouble over secret gay lovers.

But the really wild sex scandals involve Catholic Priests and Christian Televangelists.

You just can't bottle up your sexual feelings. To do so causes all kind of harm.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.