Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:00PM

I was chatting with a Christian friend from high school on Facebook this evening. I told her that my hubby and I had left the Mormon church. She knows sithlord because he and I were high school sweethearts. We had a nice chat, but something she said really cracked me up. What she said is this:

"I have spent a lot of time over the years praying that you and [sithlord] would see the truth. I love answered prayer!!"

Guess we were prayed out of the church. Take that, GA's!

LMAO

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:05PM

LOL The problem with those prayers are that they always mean, "I pray that they'll be converted to my truth."

Date: October 22, 2012 11:09PM

She wasn't even praying for us to be Christian, but that we would see the problems with the church.

Posted by: safetyforthesoul ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:11PM

I had to laugh because I had the same experience a few weeks ago! She has had a pra yer group at her church praying for my family for nearly a year.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:12PM

Ask her if she'll pray for Bishop Jackwagon and his family! Seriously, he helped me get out ... I owe him. :)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/22/2012 11:13PM by CA girl.

Posted by: fubecona ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:24PM

My very Christian friend said the same thing. I think she prayed for my whole family, but it only worked for me, lol.

Date: October 22, 2012 11:27PM

It makes me wonder how many Christians are out there fervently praying for Mormons. Wonder if they have temple prayer rolls.

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: October 22, 2012 11:33PM

Same thing here. I called about 3 old friends to tell them I finally got out. One has become a holy-rollin, bible thumping evangelist type. Apparently she shared this with her prayer group, and its a weekly prayer topic: pray the morg away. I just said a sincere thanks, and ignored the thrice daily fb posts about how I could be "born again". I cannot fault her though, her heart is in the right place. She has been a huge support for me- she used to Mormon as well, ( for a year and a half). It is just lovely to have folks who care :)

Posted by: Camara ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:11AM

They also pray this fervently for Catholics. I once had a conversation with two of the Bible-thumpiest Baptists EVER who told me, tearfully, that it was awful that Catholics roasted in hellfire for all eternity but that's the price one paid for not having a "Born again" experience.

Even Mother Teresa? I asked, trying to make them see the obscenity of their beliefs. "Of course Mother Teresa too. But we didn't send her to Hell, God did."

Even more bizarre, a long-time friend was feeling boxed in as a SAHM of toddlers so she signed up for a Bible study. When the women went around the circle telling the name of their church, she said,"Our Lady of XXX Roman Catholic Chuch" and she said it suddenly got deathly silent, the women stopped smiling & exchanged glances. It was a very short prayer meeting.

After the closing prayer she was surrounded by weeping women, hugging her as if she were doomed, had just announced she had minutes to live.

She had thought that since they were all Christian women she'd be accepted. Poor thing.

Date: October 23, 2012 09:56AM

That's exactly why we are not looking for another church. JS got one thing right....join none of them, they are all false.

Posted by: smithscars ( )
Date: October 23, 2012 09:55AM

It's nice to have people praying for you and putting you on the temple prayer list, but it can go overboard, like having temple workers call and tell you that someone put you on the temple prayer list, they can't say who, but they love me so much and wonder if they can send me something? The first time I told them to take me off the list but that didn't go over so well. The next time I just declined having them send materials but said thanks for the prayers.

Kinda messes with a perfectly fine day

Or when I see brother & sister mormonson and they tell me I'm on the temple prayer list...really awkward

Although its nice to be prayed for, sometimes it can be used as leverage

Date: October 23, 2012 09:58AM

The problem is they say it as though it means something to you, and by telling you, I guess you're supposed to fall to your knees and repent?

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.