Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 12:17PM

I was interested in a recent thread that discussed how the kolobians go about deciding whether they'll build a McTemple or not, and the thought occured to me that there must exist (within the COB) a special interest group related specifically to temples.

This is business, after all.

I'd be especially interested to see which kolobian contractors are hired to build them. I mean, let's be honest: local ward members aren't working in quarries and hand-carving door knobs.

I'm sure every facet of temple-building is carried out by the same small group of companies (owned by kolobians) who are making millions by influencing internal church decisions to build as many temples as possible.

It's the Temple Industrial Complex. And I have to give props to those kolobian contractors who are getting their tithing back and a little bit of everyone else's while they're at it!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 12:45PM

i'm still surprised that this many years into the temple building boom we don't know much about the shenanigans that are most likely going on

i don't buy that temple building is all about increasing activity rates and/or tithing - those things may be beneficial to TSCC but i can't help but wonder if the original idea wasn't simply money - the hinkster had people he wanted to enrich and this was his way of doing it

i think it would be fascinating if someone could blow the lid on who is making bank (and how much bank) on all of this construction

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 12:53PM

when the 'Seattle' temple (located in Bellevue, Wa) was going up, I asked one of the Spin-Meisters if contracts were awarded Low-Bid...

Answer-reply/response: Prior experience 'track record' with the church is more important.

Certain trade work (plumbing, electrical, soils, engineering, traffic & environmental studies, etc) has to be done by people certified with local (state) licenses, but reciprocity agreements sometimes make that a minor hurdle for out-of-state work.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/24/2012 12:55PM by guynoirprivateeye.

Date: October 24, 2012 12:56PM

Second ONLY to the Divorce - Industrial Complex.

Posted by: Jesux of Nazdaq ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 01:02PM

I think the construction angle is very intriguing.

Still weddings are big business. The temple is offered without rental fee, but the all of the attendees pay combined FAR more than would ever be charged by the average wedding center. Close to the most elite wedding centers.

For example, The Plaza on 5th ave in NYC charges $375 per person attending your wedding. A wedding party there requires min of 200 people, and upwards of 500. That's a price tag of $75,000.

In the typical LDS temple wedding, you have 20-30 people, of which 10 households may be represented. Each paying on average $5K in full tithing ($50k being average US salary), that's about $50k per wedding in tithing. Furthermore, think about how long the wedding lasts compared with the elite services, which provide entertainment, food and more. The LDS church pumps through wedding parties at some temples at rates that would make an amusement park look slow.

Every LDS wedding is nearly as expensive as the most elite places. It's a fantastic bizness model, and control over it is essesntial to the profit.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 01:06PM

yes - but have temple marriage rates in north america increased at the same rate that the number of sealing rooms have increased?

it's not like they were turning people away in the 90s...

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 04:18PM

I love the term "Temple Industrial Complex." This whole temple building craze is corrupt and wasteful. What a waste of tithing dollars. Someone's making big bucks on it though.

Posted by: AKA Alma ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 06:11PM

I always thought (no data to back up my paranoia) that all the temple building was just a way to launder tithing money to the real LDS leaders.

Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 07:18PM

An apostate friend of mine suggests that since conversion numbers are down, the increase in temple numbers is a way to keep the membership happy with (or believing in) "growth". If we don't do the side-by-side comparison with membership numbers and growth (or shrinkage) rates, we can always comfort ourselves knowing that temple construction is up (just like our chocolate rations!) and the numbers for one week's missionary applications has blown off the roofs of the COB (because the number of potential missionaries has got to be somewhere close to infinite).

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 07:59PM

They must keep multiple lists of construction businesses.

One for the businesses owned by the sheeple. These people can be squeezed. You can ask them to do more for less money, make them tear out stuff you don't like, and pay them late. They think they are special and lucky to work for the church.

One for the businesses owned by the GA's brother in law. They probably get overpaid.

One for the local businesses you have to use that are owned by Gentiles.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 08:19PM

I'm thinking along the same lines.

There must be a kolobian equivalent of KBR that's run by family members of some general authorities that get paid the proverbial $10,000 toilet seat and $50,000 dollar hammer.

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 02:16AM

Actually, I think it is more like Blackwater (Xe) Security...

Does anybody know whether the company that used to be in Boise, Morrison-Knudsen was run by morg? They used to do huge construction projects. They were the KBR of the Vietnam war...

Maybe they built temples.

Date: October 24, 2012 08:18PM

I believe most if not ALL of the material sourcing is done thru SLC, even tho it might b cheaper to source it locally.

Great Way to PISS OFF local vendors!

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: October 24, 2012 09:31PM

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 02:19AM

Tegucigalpa? That certainly isn't local...

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 02:37AM

People forget that the Neo-Liberace Las Vegas style temples sit on the most prime real estate lots in their cities. LDS, Inc. says it's a church, so they can own these view lots tax-free! They throw up a windowless eyesore, and pay the relatives to build it cheap, and call some work missionaries to help out. The edifice gives the illusion of growth and opulence (yeah that represents Christ, all right) and the cult advertises the heck out of it. It, and the surrounding grounds, is maintained for free, by forced volunteers. (It is our ward's turn to have "temple night" at a temple that is two cities away, quite far from us. After the sessions, they are going to clean the temple, and they are prepared to stay out until late at night, scrubbing and toiling.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 02:37AM by forestpal.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: October 25, 2012 04:11AM

LDS Inc and their MORmONS are so proud of the their (piddling) 130 what ever temples. Each one is actually an architectural testimony that MORmONISM really is not Xtian, or even Judaic in origin for that matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dV1NYP60274

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Gr1keBlXkY

The Catholic church, which MORmONISM labels as hopelessly apostate and which MORmONISM was supposed to supplant( yah, good luck with that one MORmONS!) and which MORmONISM is desperately dependent on despite the LDS contempt for traditional Christianity, has THOUSANDS of cathedrals.

I think LDS Inc should build many more MORmON temples, as it will really just hasten the coming of the day when LDS Inc collapses under their own weight. I will be LMAO when LDS inc finally has to start selling off their temples.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2012 04:03PM by lucky.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.