Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: AnonRegPoster ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 05:38AM

The last time a major storm hit this area electric power was down for up to 10 days for some users. So now I am trying to prepare for Hurricane Sandy.

Hurricane Sandy, degraded to Tropical Storm status, is forecast to pass over us on Tuesday afternoon-evening. 70 mph winds likely, with 6-12 inches of rain. The authorities are telling us to prepare for power outages. My preparations are as follows.

1. Electric power backup - 2000 Watt inverter generator and enough gasoline (18 gallons) to run it 12 hours per day (3 hours on, 3 hours off) for about ten days. After that I would need to buy more gasoline. My gasoline has been treated with Sta-Bil.
2. When generator is running, it will power two refrigerators, well-water pump, battery charger, cell phone charger, laptop computers (2), Uninterruptable Power Supply that powers modem and router, Inverter microwave oven for limited cooking. Keeping the UPS charged from the generator should allow the UPS to power the modem and router non-stop. This is only useful if Comcast Internet Service stays up (questionable).
3. If Comcast Internet service stays up, then should be able to access Internet as needed during waking hours.
4. In case Comcast Internet service is down, we have backup Verizon Wireless modem that connects wirelessly to Internet. Great for low data volume usage (no video downloads).
5. If need to heat house (not likely), can power wood-pellet stove when generator is on.
6. 18 gallons of water stored in one gallon containers. Can replenish as needed from well water.
7. NOAA weather radio to listen to forecasts and emergency alerts (tornado warnings if any).
8. Plenty of spare AA batteries to power NOAA weather radio, LCD headlamp, LCD flashlight. Can also power these with rechargeable batteries that can be recharged from generator.
9. BGE report outage phone number - (877) 778-2222
10. Fuel tank of car is full.
11. Some cash to use for purchases in case power is down and credit cards cannot be used.
12. Food and groceries for two weeks (longer if we get desperate).

What have I missed?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 06:23AM

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 06:31AM

Usually the biggest challenge in a emergency situation is fresh water and sanitation. If you have a well instead of being dependent on a municiple supply that's a big plus. It never hurts to have some chlorine bleach incase you have to sterilize some water.

If your generator is new you don't want to load it up at first. There is a break in running period, then you change the oil and then you can put heavier loads on it. You might want to have some extra oil for the generator on hand to top that off if necessary. Check the oil level often. If you load up a new generator to it's capacity, there is a chance it will fail. You also want to ground it with some 8 guage wire. Also make sure to not overload it past it's rating.

It's also a good Idea to have a 72 hour kit for everyone in the house put together just in case you do need to evacuate for any reason.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 06:50AM

You know, I thought about getting a generator after last time. Didn't, though. Oh well, guess it's filling the bathtub for me...

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:49AM

Have a plan "B" for in case your generator fails -- i.e. ice, batteries, water, candles, etc. I would go ahead and buy some ice ahead of time. You can pack it into your freezer and around your refrigerated food to help keep it fresh during times when your generator is powered down. Ice is one of the hardest things to find after a storm, although local authorities will probably have a plan to distribute some.

Fill bathtubs with water. Use this to flush your toilets and save your barrels of water for cooking and personal hygiene.

Get any information off of the web that you need to get ahead of time. This might include banking info, etc.

Plan to shower, wash your hair, do laundry, and iron whatever needs to be ironed before the storm hits.

Have a plan for providing warmth if necessary -- winter pajamas, comforters, etc.

Be aware of areas where there is a potential for flooding (ANY low-lying areas next to water.) Get and keep your car away from those areas. Put any vehicles on high ground with good drainage. Do not attempt to drive through standing water. I've seen too many vehicles fail while trying to do this. There is also the potential for the vehicle to be swept away by a flood.

Posted by: mindlight ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:53AM

I have been following this on the news.

Please keep us updated with posts ... My thoughts of strength and support go out to all.

Could I get just a general area you are in so I can listen on news for info? I want to follow along

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 09:54AM by mindlight.

Posted by: AnonRegPoster ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 12:48PM

I am in Maryland. Thanks for the good wishes.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:56AM

You forgot your booze. Not for the hurricane itself, but for the hurricane party after the storm, until they can get the power back on. It is a rookie mistake.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:44AM

Why thank you, FCD! Good catch. I nearly forgot to put that on my list! ;-)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.