Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 09:48PM

I hope no one is protesting. I got religion (so to speak) at the ex-Mo conference, and met up with a few friends and heroes of mine. Annagrammy said I needed to come back. Truthfully, I missed being out of the RfM action, and it was a trial to not participate. I hope no one thinks less of me.

Hey, I got to thinking, where are some of the folks, anyway? Gay Lay Ale for instance. He was always protesting about something. Where did he go? Did he get that back operation? There used to be a newbie name of Deb who was supposedly an almost-convert and was moving someplace. What happened to her? Was she real? And, of course, what about Naomi?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 09:57PM

wb

Posted by: Lori C ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 09:58PM

Posted by: wittyname ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 09:59PM

Naomi? Was there one before sexismyreligion changed her name? Deb was real, I think. I saw her posts on BBC's LDS board and Mormons & more. I don't know what happened to her because I come and go here (a few months of heavy activity, many months of no activity, lather, rinse, repeat). I've been wondering about Gay Lay Ale too, and a few others.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 04:46PM

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: October 26, 2012 10:10PM

glad you're back!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 01:30AM

Welcome back, cludgie. You know that we are always glad to have you here.

Deb the almost-convert never came back that I know of. GLA swings by every now and then.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 01:32AM

Glad to see you back!

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 02:03AM

You seem like a nice person. You were missed! I thought you'd probably come back....

Posted by: Soft Machine ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 04:42AM

Are you still likely to be posted to Europe?

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 06:38AM

Yay!

Posted by: Brother Of Jerry ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 08:44AM

Welcome back, cludgie. I missed Exmo2012 because of scheduling conflicts. There are enough old-timers around on RFM to preserve institutional memory, and enough new people to keep things fresh. The average age of posters does seem to be getting younger, which is great.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:38AM

My husband sithlord and I are new-ish here. He left the church at the end of June and I followed 3 weeks later after intense study in an attempt to bring him back. Our story unfolded here over the summer. Posting a bio soon, after some editing.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 09:56AM

Incidentally, I'm really glad you've returned. You add a very unique perspective here.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 10:08AM

cludgie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> Hey, I got to thinking, where are some of the
> folks, anyway?

Cludgie, nice that you are back. But one of the interesting things about "Recovery from Mormonism" is that people DO recover, and - unlike TSCC - the purpose of RfM is to be a temporary stopping place while you find your non-Mormon feet. People SHOULD move on when they are ready.

I was thinking during the conference (I couldn't attend this year) about the first exmo conference I attended, in 1998, in Las Vegas, and the people there. It was a great group of people, enthusiastic and friendly. Today, only two of them are still involved in RfM (Eric K. and me). They have all moved on. That's the way it's supposed to be.

They are not to be mourned. Their absence (we hope) is to be cheered like the graduates of any institution of learning.

Date: October 27, 2012 11:55AM

Hi, Richard,

Well, it is good to see that some, like yourself, remain. You, for instance, have your repository of information that we generally all use to some extent, and we all find that very helpful. Plus you also represent an earlier part of the church (not trying to say that you're old, but you are the only one here who can tell about the 50s-style washing and annointing), which in and of itself lends a broader perspective to present-day Mormonism. You can imagine how different it would be to have only those on here who went to the temple after 1990.

My reason for staying is not that I have any particular information or perspectives to lend beyond what anyone else has. But I no longer have a church or social group much beyond what I find here. Quite simply, I like to read and to sometimes comment. It will always be interesting to me. I have recovered in the sense that I am very confident that I know way more about the LDS church than any active Mormon I know, and am no longer timid about talking about it. I don't miss the church at all (although I don't think I ever actually missed it).

My life is in quite a bit of turmoil now as my co-workers and I face closure of my work site, and we are all being reassigned around the US and the world, having to sell our homes at a loss and move our kids to different schools and such. It's difficult right now, and, for me personally, I think that's why I need the release of getting back to RfM.

I'm hoping that some of us are in 'til our deaths. It would be hard to have an RfM that didn't have certain people aboard.

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 03:09PM

hasn't been around for a while. I've been in semi-frequent communication with him via facebook. He's doing OK. He finally found work (he'd been out of work for a year).

Date: October 27, 2012 03:12PM

Wow, this post is bringing everyone out. I haven't seen you around for a while either, Michael. Whenever I see your posts, I also wonder whatever happened to Devorah.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 03:42PM

He went through a very rough patch (non-Mormon related, I think) but seems to be doing better now. He's such a sweet person! I'm so glad his life is looking up now.

Date: October 27, 2012 03:11PM

Oh, I meant to add when I posted earlier: I'm glad you are still around. I must have been on a board break when you announced you were leaving. I'm glad you're still here, I like your contributions and perspective.

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 03:13PM

welcome back cludgie...

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 03:34PM

And I have been meaning to ask you for your chili recipe :)

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 03:43PM

Maybe we should just have a recipe thread? :)

(I LOVE chili!)

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 04:31PM

Britgirl, anyone else remember her? Sandisu, kymba, Scottish Boy and his sister. It was SB who posted one evening from his Mission Home!

So many others...

Date: October 27, 2012 04:48PM

I don't know Sandisu, but I remember a Sandi who seemed to be trying a new religion every month. I often wonder what happened to her.

Posted by: ginger ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 05:06PM

Welcome back cludgie! Gay Lay Ale needs to get his butt back on here!

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 07:46PM

So you run away every time you deem anyone is speaking harsh words to you and then when you come back you expect those of us who have a spine and stick around even when someone's not nice, to catch you up on everything?

Date: October 27, 2012 10:47PM

I didn't run away. I was pissed. I think there may be a difference. You once took a break for a while, too, as I recall.

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 09:14AM

I've taken several breaks and probably will again. I need to when the reality of what I have to deal with because of having been raised mormon starts overwhelming me and I need to force myself to step away from it all.

I don't make a big deal out of leaving, having to say "you guys pissed me off so I'm leaving and I'm recovered, I don't need this schit anyway," and then have to blow the trumpets and announce my return. I go and come back and usually no one notices.

Date: October 28, 2012 01:24PM

Sorry that it bothers you.

Posted by: ragingphoenix ( )
Date: October 27, 2012 08:32PM

Welcome back! (I was "Lost Mystic" when you left)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2012 08:33PM by ragingphoenix.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: October 28, 2012 01:49AM

Glad you decided to pull your chair back to the table. It's a spot of stability in your churning personal life. We are portable friends who can be reached at any time of day or night, from any computer and without the need to coordinate a free lunch time...

It's an exciting time to be here because of the election and the changes in the Morg. I suspect we have become one of their focus groups because we've had survey-takers come and go, the most brazen trolls I have ever seen.

But whatever. Who cares. Anyway, I'm definitely glad to have you back and hope to hear about your adventures.

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.