Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 10:05AM

Because my name is listed on the Foundation's website as a "media contact person" I get occasional requests for interviews from journalists, radio talk shows, etc.

When I was out of the house a few days ago my nevermo wife took a call from a talk-show host, inviting me to participate in a radio panel of people who had left the religions of their birth. She said she could take his number and have me call back. He started to give her his number, but asked first, "You ARE ex-Mormons, right?" Not wanting to complicate things, she said yes, even though she was never Mormon, but is a "lapsed Catholic."

"So what are you now, Catholic? Protestant?" he asked.

"We're atheists."

Dead silence.

"But you do believe in God and Jesus Christ, don't you?"

"No, those are just myths. We don't believe in myths."

More silence.

Finally, he said, "I guess we don't have anything in common. Goodbye."

She said, "Goodbye. Enjoy your myths!" (She can get snarky at times.)

He said, "Thank you." and hung up. Yes, he said "Thank you."

I wish I had taken the call. When he said "We don't have anything in common," I would have said:

"Oh, I think we have a lot in common: we both are good people, we both love truth and hate lies, we both want to work for a better world, we both love our families, ...."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 10:14AM

"Enjoy your myths!"

Priceless!!

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 10:16AM

Oooooh, you evul atheists! We have nothing in common!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:10AM

I got a similar, though unspoken reaction, during a radio talk show on Saturday.

I was on the Drew Marshall show (Toronto) with Tal Bachman. I hope we conveyed some important issues re Romney's Mormonism. However, when I mentioned I was an atheist there was quite a reaction from Drew Marshall, the host. I got the impression that, if he had known beforehand that I was an atheist, he would not have had me on his show. So, I understand the experience your wife had, Richard.

By the way, I thought Tal was very impressive in his measured way and it helped that Drew knew and liked him.

Tom Phillips

Posted by: Jesus Smith ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:27AM

Tom, glad you got the nod for the Drew Marshall show. If there's a recording, please let us know.
thanks

Date: November 05, 2012 11:41AM

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:47AM

Did you just thank Jesus for something? :D

Date: November 05, 2012 11:56AM

Posted by: ambivalent exmo ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:57AM

Heh. Awesome:)
Tom- I would love a link to the program/podcast as well. Thx

Posted by: Camara ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:21AM

Many Christians don't like to get too close to atheists for fear that the condition is catching.

Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:32AM

I guess you can answer that kind of question with that kind of answer, but IMHO it coursens the discourse. Tact is an art and directness is probably less so, but a mix of the two produces a finer outcome, again, IMO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/05/2012 11:33AM by elcid.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 12:12PM

It's easy to offend Christians... They're programmed with a list of things to be offended at.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 01:05PM

Some months ago I actually did get invited to be interviewed on a Christian radio talk show which broadcasts from somewhere in the South (Tennessee? - I don't remember). They wanted to know about Mormonism. I had explained to the host when he invited me that I was an atheist, and he was very excited. He said that they had been wanting to host an ex-Mormon and also an atheist (the program was exploring all religions), and here he was getting two for one!

The interview went very well, and most of the call-in Christians were quite polite. It had been a long time since I had so often been called "Brother Richard."

So it all depends, I guess.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 01:10PM

Dear 'Christians,'
Atheists do not have cooties.
The End.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 01:34PM

Excuse me, but I don't recall any atheist exclusion clause in the commandment of Jesus to "love one another as I have loved you."

Do you feel loved by Christians when they run from you as though you were not quite human?

Remember how Jesus treated the lepers and castigated the Jewish leaders for keeping them out of the temple?

Atheists are the new lepers in Mormonism. Since I'm on to them, when people ask me if I believe in Jesus, I say yes, of course I do. I believe he existed and was an enlightened Master.

They never ask for more information but it is not a door-slammer.

Best

Anagrammy

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.