Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: zzapp the witch ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:43PM

I'm a regular on the regretsy forums. Its the nice kind of crazy there. Now someone's asking questions about Romney and mormonism and the TBM women are popping out of the woodwork, talking about how women aren't mistreated and it only looks sexist, but it really isn't (we promise) and I'm actually having a panic attack over this nonsense.

I posted some of my experiences and the short version of why I left the church, etc.

Why am I freaking out so bad because I find out there's a handful of TBM housewives here? I already knew there was one or two, and we generally avoid the religion thing. You'd think this wouldn't be more than a small blip on the radar.

I guess I feel like a sanctuary has been invaded, and I know that's not at all rational.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: November 05, 2012 11:51PM

Can you say to them, "Well, if women are treated so well, why are you expected to be a sister wife in the afterlife?"

Then point them to D&C 132

Then slip in a little, "Helen Mar Kimball" was only fourteen!

That oughtta help your anxiety.

Date: November 05, 2012 11:56PM

Well, I was thinking of keeping it more "modern" such as whatever that oath was that Romney took against America (I need to use the google-fu, but I saw something about it here last week) and things of that nature.

One gal already said that if you don't like your husband when you get to CK that you can choose a different one; as I recall the husband can throw away the wife and get more wives, but the wife won't have anywhere to go and has no say in which man she's with. Was tracking down that one to correct.

Pretty much taking what they've posted so far, correcting it and waiting for the comebacks.

Date: November 06, 2012 01:04AM

One of the two times I went to church in Colorado Springs while my husband was stationed at Ft. Carson, I had bruises on my arm and my right cheekbone.

The ladies in RS asked me what had happened and I just looked at the floor. Later, the bishop called me into his office. It lifted my spirits, finally I could tell someone that might really be able to help me get away from my abusive husband (who was a born Jewish, raised Catholic never-mo). "Sister, it appears that you have been having some troubles at home." I started crying with relief. "I would like to talk to you about your relationship with your husband as I see it. Remember, if you submit to your husband you will be lifted by the lord." I looked at him, shocked. "I don't like seeing Sisters in your state," and he motioned to my bruises, "and if you pray for guidance and submit to the wishes of your husband, I am sure I will never see you in this state again."

And he was right, he didn't. I never went back, I got the balls to sneak the phone when husband was passed out drunk, and my husband's Sgt and my parents cooridated a rescue effort.

Date: November 06, 2012 01:05AM

Bah, that was supposed to be under FCD's post.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 01:37AM

than those you love feel you deserve.

Anagrammy

Date: November 06, 2012 01:35AM

You're talking about the oath of vengeance?

And wow, glad you got away. It's scary getting beat.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/06/2012 01:39AM by FormerLatterClimber.

Date: November 06, 2012 01:42AM

Yes, I think that's it! Thanks, you'd think the name was more than obvious. My brain isn't multisyllabic this evening.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 12:04AM

Mormon women aren't the only ones who deny their obvious second class status. Muslim women frequently do it as well. It's too embarrassing, perhaps, to admit that you are treated like an inferior on account of your genitalia.

Why are so many religions obssessed with wieners?

Date: November 06, 2012 02:35AM

+ 1 LOL!

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: November 07, 2012 11:30AM

Don Bagley Wrote:

>
> Why are so many religions obssessed with wieners?

Because so many religions were started by men and are now controlled by men. And men are obsessed with wieners.

Posted by: forestpal ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 12:19AM

These are not "Mormon housewives." They are senior couples missionaries on what they call a "computer mission." I have known 5 couples who have been called on such a mission. They spent their hours on Facebook and the internet message boards. I'm sure these included the ex-Mormon sites. The less intelligent senior missionaries would spend their hours hitting the pro-Mormon websites, to keep them at the top of all the searches.

The senior missionaries also track down and identify Mormons on the various sites. A couple in our ward, who used to be active in the YM/YW, found my son's new address and phone number. This couple, and several others, tried to "friend" my daughter on Facebook. Older people butting in and "friending" a younger generation is just creepy. I don't "friend" my children or their friends.

I'm so glad you were on that board, to set people straight about how Mormons treat women! We probably should all speak out more!

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 02:12AM

tell it, forestpal...

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 12:28AM

The funny thing is, if as a man, you say that the church teaches women to be submissive, a lot of TBM women will take offense, then go home to their husbands and have them call you out on it, because they will not feel it their place to confront you themselves. I have actually seen this happen a time or two. One guy even used the words, "My wife is not submissive to me," even though he was a convicted wife beater.

Posted by: enoughenoch19 ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 02:46AM

Well, look at the polls. I am beyond shocked! It is 50/50. That means that 50% of women in this country don't give a s**t about fair wages or their own reproductive rights.
If they don't care about that in THIS LIFE, why should they care about the AFTERLIFE? Seriously. I never thought with a liar like Mittler running, it would be this close. I am very disappointed in the people of the US at least half of them who seem to be mamboozled by lies. Of course there are (according to them) 14 million people who have been bamboozled by TSCC. I always non-Mos were smarter that that but guess not. I will know tomorrow if I am moving out of god's kingdom on earth (GAG!) or not. The USA will not be worth living in if certain things happen. Just getting to hear how it was JS's prophecy come true will make me vomit repeatedly. Anyone else?

Date: November 06, 2012 03:25AM

"I always thought nomos were smarter than that..."
I don't think it's necessarily smarts. I think it's no awareness of programming methods and when to identify it. <please see Iraq war> Nomos are capable of being programmed, it happens to the best of us...repetitive skewed information, particularly on a massive scale can be quite powerful, especially when the listener doesn't take the time to check the claims.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: November 06, 2012 10:04AM

What on earth are TBM housewives doing on Regretsy? When I was a TBM that site was a very furtive guilty pleasure, 'cause those people are naughty! ;)

If the TBMs make a big enough stink, the Regretsy regulars (and the site administrator herself) will make short work of them. There are some very caustic, hilariously witty people there who are savage to newbies, especially those who show any sign of hysteria or weakness.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.