Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 10:31PM

So just to continue what I mentioned earlier about that awful teachers workshop...

First of all, does ANYONE use the phrase "raise my hand to the square" except mormons? How weird did that sound to everyone else in the room?

Secondly, the presenter kept ajusting himself. At one point during the shunning I amused myself with making a hash mark every time he grabbed himself. Like 24 times in about 45 minutes. That isnt normal.

Finally, I did mention to our academic VP a little bit of what happened and she said she would lodge the complaint with Title II. That potentially could be a BIG problem for them, so I feel a little better.

What I learned: Shunning from people that you know hurts A LOT... but so does shunning from almost perfect strangers. I also learned that a lot of mormons are really nice to people outside the church and a lot of mormons are really nice to people in teh church... but a lot of mormons arent very nice to people that LEAVE the church.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 10:40PM

He probably got a case of crabs on his out of town rondevu.

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 08:51AM

Exactly what I was thinking!

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 11:11PM

He was picturing all of you naked, & it was more than his sexual repression could handle :P

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: November 09, 2012 11:16PM

It was bad enough watching little boys doing it on the baseball field. That is so unprofessional and so..... EEEEWWWWWWW! And I am glad you are reporting. The next person he does it too might not be as strong as you are. If you don't call people on their bad behavior they never learn to do better.

And just one more time,
EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 08:54AM

I'd send him a little anonymous letter, letting him know. Too bad you can't include a spy cam with it.

Posted by: spaghetti oh ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 08:58AM

I'm a nevermo and I had never heard the phrase "raise my hand to the square" until I learned more about mormonism. So, I suspect the rest of the people in the room were probably thinking 'wtf?'

Posted by: hello ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 06:11PM

Don't the masons do this arm thing too?

Posted by: nonmo ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 11:29AM

Ok...this was a professional/job-related workshop correct??
If it was...then you should have have said something right away...especially with the arm to the square comment.

Something like..."hey we're not in your ward...we are in the CLASSROOM...no arm raising to the square in the classroom because for one...IT'S AGAINST THE LAW"

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 12:12PM

I can understand why you felt hurt by it. It can be a shock when you expect adults to act like adults and yet they treat you like the unpopular kid in a high school hallway.

One of my pet peeves is definitely adults who choose to behave like they never matured past their teen years.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 02:40PM

Wasn't there a feedback card about the seminar? I'd even write a letter to the organizers, if no feedback card was given out in the last session. I'd be very obvious and tell the organizers what you told us about the guy doing the presentation.

Second, about shunning. People who obviously shun others are seriously messed up. Be thankful that those people who live their lives as an insult to everything the Savior stood for, while claiming to follow him, have so obviously outed themselves. Now you can, politely, cross them off your "friends" list and move on to a better class of people. Please don't let it hurt you because the mere fact you had the integrity to realize what the church is really about and the strength to do the right thing puts you head and shoulders above that crowd. Even higher, since you are willing to be nice to them despite their delusional behavior. If they don't want to be around you, be grateful you don't have to tolerate their behavior and that you will NEVER be anything like them and move on. I'm sure anyone nice would feel lucky to have you as a friend!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 02:43PM by CA girl.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 02:58PM

Let them continue with high-smiles, low-loyalty Mormon friendships and remember--they are living in a Country Run By Old Men who give them orders about everything - from food to underwear.

Whereas we here, your "imaginary" friends as someone put it--if you lost a limb and needed a prosthetic, we would make sure you got it.

Isn't it wonderful no one has to tell you when/how to "act" compassionate because now you are free to "be" compassionate?

Anagrammy

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/10/2012 03:01PM by anagrammy.

Posted by: suzanne ( )
Date: November 10, 2012 03:56PM

Thanks everyone just for reading and for being there. It helps a lot actually just to know you are out there somewhere. As everything was happening I remember thinking to myself, ah gee! I can't wait until tonight for wine and rfm!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.