Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: November 16, 2012 06:48AM

Hey I hope you see this, and I just noticed that in one of your replies on my post was talking about how I said "lack of God=evil" and after I made that more recent post I was kind of hoping no one noticed that because I had just heard it somewhere and I thought I would put that little tidbit of knowledge to some use and see what other people thought about it, but in all honesty, the post you mentioned it on (it said "I AM SO FREAKING SICK OF THIS") was how I was actually feeling and I didn't think to edit that comment and take that out but I don't even know where the post is anymore :P but yeah I just don't want you to see me as the idiot as I really am :)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 16, 2012 09:43AM

Hey Nickson,

I recall being one of a few folks who tried to point out why that example is fallacious but no big deal. I don't see you as an idiot.

One thing, though:

1. Do you now see that atheism is not a belief and requires no faith?

That's the real problem I had with your post.

Date: November 16, 2012 05:05PM

Yeah I do see what your saying. One person said they knew what I meant and they were explaining how that could be misconstrued because I didn't realize the difference. What I meant was more of that opinion I guess? I don't know if that's a better way of explaining it. But yeah I understand now that it's the difference between a belief and a lack of belief and I would prefer to just not have a side...but unfortunately not even having a side is something to argue about so it's probably best to just say I don't care and not involve myself in serious debates about this kind of stuff.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: November 16, 2012 05:10PM

<<Not even having a side is something to argue about>>

I couldn't disagree more. The default position (the middle) is the only safe place for you to be if you don't want to argue with people about "this kind of stuff."

There's nothing to defend there. The arguments are happening between people on either side of you, and much of their arguing will be about who's gonna recruit you to their side.

So let them argue, take your time, evaluate their arguments, apply critical thinking skills, and make an informed decision on your own terms. There's no time limit.

They can't both be right but they can both be wrong.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: November 16, 2012 05:12PM

Date: November 18, 2012 01:43PM

Well thank you! That honestly helps a lot.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.