Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 05:52PM

I was talking to my one remaining TBM friend over the weekend. She was saying that some of the men in the Spanish Ward decided to write to President Monson. They wanted to tell him that he's wrong on his position concerning women in the Church.

My friend said, "He's mad because the Church believes that women and men are equal, in the eyes of the Lord."

I couldn't help it. I burst out laughing. I'm sure she thought that I was laughing because the men wrote to President Monson, to tell him that he was wrong.

But, no. I burst out laughing because she said that the Church believes that men and women are equal.

I didn't correct it. Let her think that's what I meant. LOL

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ness ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 06:06PM

Men and Women are equal in the eyes of the Lord... but not the church. TBMs can't separate the two. :P

The church can claim all it wants that men and women are equal with pretty talks, but just because a turd is wrapped in a pretty package doesn't mean it's still not a turd. ;)

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 07:54PM

When I worked for the Church, one of the women applied for the top job when the Manager of the office quit. They basically pat her on the head and told her that you need the Priesthood to do that job. Never mind that some women in the Church did hold that job. Well, just a few, but it wasn't impossible for a woman to hold that position.

I was just really angry at their attitudes. They basically humoured her. It was part, "Silly woman," and part, "Awww, isn't she cute, thinking she could do this important job?"

It was maddening. That's when I really knew that I was considered to be a second-class citizen by them.

Posted by: Surrender Dorothy ( )
Date: November 20, 2012 08:14PM

TSCC hasn't changed its attitude about women from the early days. They've just become more prudent with their choice of words. Words can be important, but when their words don't comport with their actions, their prettied-up words don't mean a damn thing.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.