Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: gentleben ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 10:28AM

Growing up in the church I was always led to believe that once a member had received his/her endowments, then the door for eternal progression would be opened, and the highest levels of the celestial kingdom would be attainable.
It is also my understanding that all ordinances pertinent to salvation must be done in mortality, or by proxy in mortality. So, if there is an ordinance that is performed that ordains a person a king/queen in mortality, that ordinance must also be performed by proxy for the dead, otherwise no one who has died without receiving the ordinance will be able to attain the highest level of exaltation...
Is the second anointing performed by proxy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 10:38AM

My understanding of the 2nd anointing is that is not required for exaltation. It is more a blessing/guarantee of assurance/comfort.

Other examples:
Sacrament
Baby blessings
Patriarchal blessings (this is probably the closest parallel)

Date: November 30, 2012 02:18PM

Another question for you anointed one. I listened to some of your interview on youtube, and it says you can live as long as you want, which I think also means you can die whenever you want to stop living. In that case if you invoke that clause, and die when you no longer choose to live, is that a form of suicide?

-edit: oops, I replied to wrong comment...

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/30/2012 02:19PM by gentleben.

Posted by: Lois Lane ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 03:37PM

My grandfather went through the second annointing in the 1930s.

A short time later he said he felt he would be dead within the year. He got his affairs in order.

He was right. Although he had no symptoms at the time, within a year he was dead of appendicitis.

Don't know if there was any connection between the two events.

Lois

Posted by: anointed one ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:53PM

At my second anointing Elder Ballard stated it was not necessary to perform the ordinance for the deceased i.e. by proxy. He gave no further explanation.

Tom

Posted by: wine country girl ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 12:56PM

Date: November 30, 2012 02:14PM

Maybe 'cause they don't want the riff raff in the highest level. There is only so much room in the infinite universe, and you can't have hobos loitering around up there.

Posted by: Bite Me ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 02:33PM

Bwahahahah!

Posted by: Just browsing ( )
Date: November 30, 2012 03:28PM

In the early day of temple work , this was performed but like the saying goes "you can't give away what you do not possess" so it was only performed by those who had already received ther second annointings and on approval of the General Authorities..

One historical example is of the nephew of a general authority who died about 17 years of age, who was classed as a very spiritual young man.

Yes it certainly was performed, though infrequently.

JB

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.