Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: SEcular Priest ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:13AM

These are must books for beginning a gospel library so the sign said and I think for 79 dollars you could start your gospel library.

One book by Monson, a small easy to read book on temple preparation, a book on service and obedience, and several other books that I call gospel fluff books. Nothing on how to study the BoM, or other Church scriptures. Just basic stuff with no deep thinking required.

What ever happened to the staples that my parents era had to read A Marvellous Work and a Wonder. Back then the gospel was marvellous and wonderful. Jesus the Christ. Back then you knew about Christ and his premortal, mortal and post mortal life. That gave you a testimony that you could truly say "I know that Christ lives." There was another book, oh the Book of Mormon. That was your basic beginning library and you read those books before you got baptised.

What do we have today. Times have sured changed.

The new library is so watered down, if I did not know I was in an LDS bookstore I would wonder how these new book can represent the Church in its true form.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 12:45AM

I've been associated with TSCC for more than 50 years. It's morphing fast as they attempt to "normalize" and conform to cultural changes in order to keep and attract members. Even though some of the changes are refreshing, it only serves to remind me that it's all a human construct.. all made up.

Posted by: motherwhoknows ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:36AM

That is very interesting, and telling!

Yes, the changes reinforce my non-belief also.

My nephew was in the MTC this fall, and he was shocked at how little actual scripture study was included in the training. The Mormons are definitely moving away from scriptures, the written word, history, and debates of any kind. The missionaries are taught sales techniques, fellowshipping, manipulation, how to spot that needy golden contact. Instead of studying the scriptures with people, the missionaries are told to spend their time going from door to door, simply asking people, "Is there anything you need us to do for you?"

There was a hugely publicized story on KSL about some missionaries who cut down some branches blown asunder by Sandy. My nephew says they do that all the time, plus mow lawns, repair roofs, even repair cars.

It's all about FEELING, not reading or learning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/04/2012 01:37AM by motherwhoknows.

Posted by: crafty ( )
Date: December 04, 2012 01:47AM

The missionaries in our stake no longer tract. They are outsourced to community services and do things like trash pick up and gardening at the city parks. They don't do much teaching.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.