Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: knotheadusc ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 01:28PM

We're going in November in honor of our 10th anniversary-- two five night cruises on the Hebridean Island Princess. The weather may suck, but at least we'll have lots of scotch!

http://www.hebrideancruises.us/destination.html

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 01:33PM

that's my number one travel destination.

maybe next year!

Posted by: michael ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 01:40PM

I am SO jealous. Which 2 five-night cruises are you going on? I'm so tempted to ask you to bring something Scottish back (that's legal to bring back - no McSweens Haggis, unfortunately).

Date: June 11, 2012 01:51PM

The last two five night cruises of 2012... November 17 and 22!

Our anniversary is the 16th and we will get to Glasgow on the 15th. We're planning two weeks there.

Date: June 11, 2012 03:10PM

Major jealousy attack even more!

ENJOY!

Posted by: matt ( )
Date: December 08, 2012 08:39PM

knotheadusc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The last two five night cruises of 2012...
> November 17 and 22!
>
> Our anniversary is the 16th and we will get to
> Glasgow on the 15th. We're planning two weeks
> there.

Try to get to Edinburgh, too, if you can.

Date: December 08, 2012 08:42PM

We're back now, matt... Spent four nights in Edinburgh and had a fabulous time!

Posted by: runtu ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 01:41PM

I can't even think of traveling until we pay off my daughter's wedding. Maybe I should start a collection. :-)

Posted by: nomilk ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 02:19PM

A friend from work went last year and liked it so much she's saving to go again.

Date: June 11, 2012 02:21PM

It's been on my bucket list for awhile. I'm really looking forward to it and hoping the weather is decent. But if it's not decent, I predict we'll still have a good time because my husband and I will be together, celebrating 10 great years together. It really is a triumph, given what we've been through.

Posted by: EssexExMo ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 03:30PM

the weather over here ATM, is like novemeber...........if there's any justice in nature, november's weather should be like June

[OTOH pray for global warming]

Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 03:56PM

If you have time to drive the 40 miles from Glasgow to Edinburgh, please hit the Scotch Whisky Heritage Museum. It's just off the espinade of the castle as you start dow the hill on the Royal Mile. Every brand know to man (that man being Scots) is available.

http://www.scotchwhiskyexperience.co.uk/index.php

Date: June 11, 2012 03:58PM

We are planning to fly out of Edinburgh... Two nights in Glasgow and four nights after the cruise, two of which will definitely be in Edinburgh. I'm not yet sure what we'll do with the other two nights... ;-)

Date: June 11, 2012 04:09PM

If you're looking for a B&B in Edinburgh after your cruise, let me suggest:

Sakura House, 18 West Preston Street, Edinburgh EH8 9PU, Scotland

I've stayed there twice and have enjoyed it immensely. If Margaret is still the proprietor, let her know that Michael from Atlanta, Georgia referred you. It couldn't hoit, ya know?

Date: June 11, 2012 04:37PM

Thanks for the suggestion! We are definitely now looking for places to stay! And if anyone can recommend something we should do with those two extra days, let me know. I gave some thought to flying to Belfast on a cheap EasyJet flight, but I don't know if it's worth the hassle.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 05:06PM

it might be worth trying to find.

Date: December 08, 2012 08:36PM

We did the scotch whisky experience... and we visited two distilleries, including Springbank in Campbeltown!

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 04:45PM

It sounds great! I've gone sailing in November, and all I can tell you is that you can't spend a lot of time topside due to the freezing wind. Bring *very* warm clothing -- lots of layers.

Date: June 11, 2012 05:05PM

I've already taken advantage of LL Bean's end of winter sale. Bought myself some nice duck boots and a new quilted jacket... Guess the next thing to buy is long underwear and some good thin, but warm, gloves.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: June 11, 2012 05:50PM

If I'm remembering correctly, on the bottom I wore long underwear, fleece pants, and wind pants. On the top I wore long underwear, a T-neck, a fleece jacket, and a poly/spandex athletic jacket. I wore a fleece beenie on top and a fleece scarf. That may be a bit too action-oriented for what you have in mind, but it gives you an idea of what to expect. The people who run the cruise could also advise you.

I brought fleece gloves and athletic gloves.

I hit the outlet stores to outfit myself and spent about $200. The Champion outlet was great.

Then again, you might not be spending that much time topside.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2012 05:53PM by summer.

Date: June 11, 2012 05:57PM

Well, it's not a sailboat... it's a retired car ferry. They do have outdoor activities, but there's also a nice salon with a big fireplace! ;-)

It's an all inclusive cruise that only carries 49 people at a time. Should be very interesting.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.