Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 02:25AM

Mormons are notorious for doing genealogy.

they collect birth and death dates of their ancestors, and then turn them over to the church for temple ordinances.

They turn over information for every single ancestor they can find. Both young and old. They do baptisms for them.

Do they do baptisms for those who died before they were 8. If so, why? They teach that those who die before 8 go to the CK.

What would be the point?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 02:31AM

busywork?

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 02:42AM

On one hand, they tell us that 'the Millenium' is for catching up... for people whom they didn't perform the ordinances 'before', Right?

Remem: the temples are the biggest $ makers the Morg has...

Posted by: squirrel ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 05:44AM

How do temples make money?
I left before endowment age.. The only temple experiences i had were the youth baptisms

Posted by: yorkie ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 06:03AM

They are money spinners because in order to hold a temple recommend you have to be a full tithe payer.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 03:16AM

The names don't have to be related to mormons. They can be anyone of any age, any religion, no religion, exxed former member, resigned exmo, nevermo, anyone.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 10:04AM

Cheryl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The names don't have to be related to mormons.

The goal is that every soul must be gathered in, all the billions and billions of humanity.

What really defines the smugness of the proxy baptism is the oft-repeated statement, "The soul has the option to refuse the "covenant"! IMO, every single mormon that says this is positive that these souls will be eternally grateful.

Arrogant much?

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 11:34AM

The parents of a child who died before the age are told there is no need to have the child baptized by proxy. I have no idea what happens with names submitted for temple baptisms, it seems anything is game there.

Posted by: worldwatcher ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 12:04PM

Cynthia Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The parents of a child who died before the age are
> told there is no need to have the child baptized
> by proxy. I have no idea what happens with names
> submitted for temple baptisms, it seems anything
> is game there.

I'm aware of the "age of 8" doctrine but in the minds of some, that's just a suggestion. I agree that there is a practice of submitting many names for temple baptism, a lot of them more than once.

A friend of mine lost a baby and was approached by a mormon who "offered" to have the child baptized in the temple to insure his salvation....

I wonder how the names of many of these Newtown children will be submitted for baptism by overzealous mormons "just in case".

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 16, 2012 12:09PM

No, children under 8 are not baptized by proxy however they are sealed to their parents.

One of the "deep doctrine" concepts in Mormonism is that parents will come back and raise their children during the millennium - at which time the children will be baptized.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.