Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: NeverBeenaMormon ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 07:54AM

http://bookofmormononline.net/#/home

Anyone know if this is official or not? Someone has put in a lot of effort!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 08:08AM

Such maritime technology existed, then I suppose this shinola has appeal... Glenn Beck believes this stuff; that ought to persuade reasonable people it's nonsense.

From the scientific crowd:

http://ohio-archaeology.blogspot.com/2011/12/responding-to-lost-civilizations-of.html

>"There is no credible evidence to suggest that any Old World peoples migrated to the Americas after the initial incursion from Siberia prior to the tentative forays of the Norse beginning at around 1000 CE other than limited contacts between Siberia and the American arctic."

That means there is no evidence in the archaeological record: no Hebrew/Semitic DNA "markers" in either mitochondrial, y-Chromosome, or nuclear DNA among today's Native Americans. Nothing at all...

No evidence of metallurgy in the New World until long after the "BOM timetable." Archaeologists notes that one always leaves traces in the archaeological record. No horses, no cattle, no wheat, no barley, no use of wheeled vehicles for transport...

>Anyone know if this is official?

Who cares?

SLC
Who could be persuaded to confess to a possible bit of troll baiting with this one

Date: December 18, 2012 08:27AM

Oh yeah, don't worry I know it is all nonsense and that there is no evidence to support the BoM. I meant more the website has clearly had a lot of effort put into it. Do people know if it is a private site or whether it has backing from SLC?

Posted by: The Big lebowski ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:17PM

There is evidence that small groups from many nations por races made it to the American continents, after the Mongolian or Pacific Islanders got here, but before Columbus. there is no evidence of anything described in the Book of Mormon. vikings, black Africans, Chinese, Welsh, Irish were here before Columbus.

Posted by: anon for this ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:28PM

Wrong about the Welsh prince Madoc coming to America. It was a fabricated story.
http://exmormon.org/phorum/read.php?2,708357,708357#msg-708357

Posted by: SL Cabbie ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 04:14PM

Menzies was touted here a few years ago by several people, and his fleet of junk ships was promptly shipwrecked (pun intended). This one is from a group of scholars who were horrified by his Von Däniken-like nonsensical claims about Chinese seafaring prowess...

http://www.1421exposed.com/

There's also the story of Prince Henry Sinclair who is claimed to have sailed to the Americas a hundred years before Columbus...

Didn't happen, but that one has given rise to stories of Masons--Henry was one--in America and the Minnesota fraud known as the Kensington Runestone.

There's also the story of St. Brendan, the Irish monk who lived around 500 A.D.

St. Brendan's story predates the Blarney Stone by a millennium, but you get my drift. In addition to claiming to have sailed west across the Atlantic where they encountered Judas, only to see him morph into a sea monster, there were these mermaids...

Most of the popularity of this "diffusionist" silliness can be traced to a series of three articles in the Atlantic that were titled "The Diffusionists Have Landed." One of the principals cited in this was John L. Sorenson, the Mormon apologist--he is credited with the "Limited Geography Theory"--and the problem in trying to get legitimate scholars to speak to this subject is they often have a hard time not laughing.

http://www.exmormon.org/mormon/mormon606.htm

Mormon pseudo-scholars like Sorenson, Brant Gardner, and others have done grave disservices to science and history with their tripe, and as far as I'm concerned, they're fair game for the ridicule they have earned.

Vikings in Newfoundland? Definitely. Polynesians on the Pacific Coast? Quite likely and more research needs to be done...

Anything else? Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof, and only silly frauds have been forthcoming.

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:37PM

It has an 'about' page that says it is not official.

Posted by: Leo Walsh ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 06:29PM

Heresy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It has an 'about' page that says it is not
> official.

BookofMormonOnline.Net is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Date: December 18, 2012 07:21PM

Thank you!

Posted by: CannonFodder ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 03:42PM

The about page includes the following comments:

Who Created BookofMormonOnline.Net?

BookofMormonOnline.Net is created and developed entirely by KC Kern. Orginal outlines were created in early 2004, and the work of organizing, digitizing, programming, and writing went on until official launch in late 2007. Since then, it has undergone a major rearchitecture with the inclusion of a number of new features. It continues to be added to and refined regularly.

Disclaimer

BookofMormonOnline.Net is not an official Web site of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

There is also a link to another site created by KC Kern, with a pic of him. http://about.me/kckern. Looks like he's an MIT grad student, who previously studied at BYU.

Posted by: Finance Clerk ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 06:49PM

Whoever created this couldn't make his mind up about which geography theory he followed. He included maps of the BoM happening in Mexico, Panama, Costa Rica, the Heartland, New York, and all of the Americas. He went as far as labeling the seas, cities, Hill Cumorah, narrow neck of land, etc. on all these different maps.

For some reason he also applied the same titles to maps of Sri Lanka and Malay.

Wierd!

Posted by: Ex-CultMember ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 07:22PM

I noticed that too. Not too faith promoting when you its apparently so hard to nail down where it all took place.

Date: December 18, 2012 07:24PM

Sorry the site won't let me do multiple posts but thanks to everyone who got back to me. It was the maps thing that caught my eye as well which is why I wanted to know more

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: December 18, 2012 09:23PM

This is another attempt to create the illusion that the BoM is real. That's what Mormonism is all about -- fantasy and illusion.

Date: December 19, 2012 04:15AM

Couldn't agree more. It's just remarkable that an individual has put this much effort in. We will have to hope he'll uncover something that leads to him leaving

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.