Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 01:10AM

I was on campus today for the first time in two years. I was in the Bookstore on unrelated business but wanted to see if they had a copy of the book referenced in the Subject line.

They did. A single copy.

But it wasn't on the selves where it should have been. Upon further inquiry we learned that it had been removed from the shelves. The young employee explained further that she would have to lead us to an administrative office to see the book/secure it for purchase. We asked "Why has it been removed from the shelves?"--she said, "Probably because somebody higher up in BYU's administration didn't like it and wanted it off of the shelves."

I have to give the Bookstore credit for carrying it in the first place, even if they did remove it from the shelves as a courtesy to BYU's nefarious, censoring admin. Screw those guys, whoever they are...

I bought the book. And I can't wait to continue reading it. It is a real page turner :)

And being on campus made me feel like being in enemy territory
:( Oh well...

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 03:46AM

Did you have to endure interrogation, or did they just sell it to you?

Date: December 19, 2012 09:32AM

No. My guess is no one involved from the Bookstore end really knew what the book is about... They were generally cool with it. Although we did have to ask twice for help finding it because it wasn't on the shelves where the first girl told us we could find it.

I am glad to have it and found the whole thing kind of funny. Ultimately, good for them for having one last copy and selling it to us, instead of just burning it :)

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:39AM

I bought my first copy of "Mormon Enigma" from the BYU Bookstore about 20 years ago. I didn't think of it as an anti-Mormon book, although one of my professors (Richard L. Anderson) said he didn't "like the tone of that book." I also bought Orson Pratt's "The Seer" there, which I believe Brigham Young himself had censored.

I've also found Mormon fundamentalist literature at the BYU Bookstore as well as a large assortment of D&D books. It's surprising what they've stocked there over the years.

Posted by: Twinker ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 09:37AM

In other words, if I were to send a copy to my TBM relatives, would they begin reading it not knowing its growing reputation as "anti"?

Date: December 19, 2012 09:45AM

His intro makes it clear that he is trying to be honest about LDS history by recognizing the recent/renewed efforts of both Church and non-Church historians. At the time he was still a member and he emphasizes that his ultimate wish is to help increase faith by supplementing current understanding with truth etc. It sounds all very TBM/positive in many respects. They might be fooled...

However, even by the third or fourth paragraph of the first chapter my blood was boiling at some of the stunts JS pulled. I'm not sure they could read it without thinking it is total anti and putting it down. Who knows... I guess it just depends. It might be worth a shot! I would recommend reading it first. Very well annotated and researched. I'm loving it.

Posted by: justrob ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 09:55AM

Wow, that is surprising.
Glad you found it though.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 10:05AM

"We don't hide our history". Not out rightly they don't. But the appearance of providing history while practicing dishonest and literally insidious ways to keep information difficult to obtain is the same as saying they are a charitable organization and yet the BBB will not register them as such. It's the "appearance of honesty". What lie can be more despicable? These kinds of lies are well thought out by individuals that hide in the shadows of the church hierarchy.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.