Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Crathes ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:06PM

This may have already been discussed, so sorry if I am late to the party.

The MP manual, on page 66, related to "Releasing Missionaries" and potentially extending a missionary's release date states: "Consult with the parents and stake president to determine whether an early release or extension would be inconvenient or cause difficulties."

Wow! Thanks. Nope, don't ask the missionary him or herself. Just because that person may be paying his or her own way, nope don't bother with the courtesy of an inquiry. Nope, even though that person is AN ADULT, you don't need to ask. Just ask the parents and stake president.

Yup, treat them like little kids. And now that they will start and end sooner, you can treat them even more like children.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 05:09PM

why would the SP need to weigh in? What the hell does he have to do with the personal life of the missionary?

Good observation

Posted by: lillium ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:19PM

Actually, why would the parents need to weigh in, for that matter? The mish is probably 20 or 21, even if being released early. He/she has been an adult for 2 or 3 years.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 01:33PM

True too. Missionaries are not treated like adults, or human beings with a respectable opinion of their own. They're treated more like inmates in a prison and/or children in kindergarten. No individuality whatsoever.

Posted by: citizen not logged in ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 08:23PM

Agreed, more inconsiderate, inappropriate micro-managing from TSCC.

Posted by: sundevil89 ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:16PM

Reminds me of my mission. I got sick in Mexico and my asthma would not improve so the church doctor told them to send me home early (4 months). The President actually called my parents and asked if it was ok if I come home early. I remember asking him why he is calling them when I am 21 and can make my own decision, plus I had the backing of the church doctor. He just said that they need to ask my parents first.

Posted by: mistydiamond ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 07:34PM

In my experience, Mormons will treat you like a child until you are married. I left the church a few years ago but a few months ago but a new house and moved into a new area. I didn't know anybody so thought, maybe I'll just go to church once or twice to at least get to know some people with the idea that "Mormon friends are better than no friends." I went to the singles' ward once. They asked me to fill out a new member form so they could get my records. I looked over the form but didn't fill it out. It asked for my parents' names, address, and phone number. I thought to myself, "I'm almost 30, I have a career, I own a house, and the church wants to keep tabs on me through my parents?!" I haven't been back since.

Posted by: Exmo Mom ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 08:17PM

Missionaries need to stand up for their rights and themselves. There is no way they shouldn't be allowed to hold onto their passports and other personal belongings. There is no way any decisions about their well being should be made solely by their parents. As you say, they are adults!

Posted by: AltaRica ( )
Date: December 19, 2012 11:52PM

Although it caused problems at the time, I'm very glad that I went on my mission at a slightly older age than most other boys. Prior to leaving, I had spent a solid year and a half living on my own and making decisions about where to live, work, when to take classes, etc. That's why it was such a shock for me to go from being a pretty independent adult to being treated like a kid again in the MTC. IMO, this is one of the biggest hypocrisies of the missionary program. Through one side of its mouth, TSCC will talk about how the mishies are set apart with a sacred, apostolic calling. But then they'll go ahead and treat mishies like they're children.

Posted by: sparkyguru ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 12:26AM

this is what bugs me the most about the age change to 18, these kids are never gonna get a chance to think for themselves. From one shelter to another until it is so engrained that they can't think otherwise.

I also suspect it is gonna backfire too. Because now they will have these sheltered almost adults go out, not knowing anything about the world or what they believe in. they will get sucked in but this generation was born with the internet, they have been raised to question what is real(and can tell the stupid urban myth emails and how they just don't ring true automatically) so even while they are getting them under the morg wing fast, they will eventually peek out and when they do they will feel even more disenfranchised than they might other wise. that will lead to deep anger and a desire to expose the truth.

mark my words in 20 years the exodus from this religion will make what is happening now look like peanuts

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 01:21PM

The manual also says to make sure to tell the missionary that wants to go home early that he has to remiburse the church for the travel expenses home.

Posted by: Pay Leo ( )
Date: December 20, 2012 01:38PM

The part that gets me most is having to turn passport over to "trusted" mission president so an adult who gets fed up with the nonsense can't use passport to cut and RUN!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.