Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 01:51AM

I'm no Steve Benson, so I will rely on others to supply most of the dirt evidence. To me, his assertion that masturbation would lead to "total homosexuality" in his book "Miracle of Forgiveness" seems the most obvious. The phrase total homosexuality only makes sense, if you believe there is a lesser homosexuality, where maybe you are plagued by gay thoughts, but don't abide, or that was all in your past.

Others have mentioned suspicious relationships. Feel free to add, not that there is anything wrong with being a Gay prophet. It's just too bad that he wasn't able to be open, honest, and accepting of his nature.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: rise ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 01:55AM

Ha yeah, I guess to SWK holding hands with the same sex is less gay then kissing the same sex.

Date: September 23, 2012 01:57AM

Or listening to gay Missionaries confessions about sexual crimes, and having a strange look of intense interest on his face. I understand from some board members who have actually experienced this. Then there was the attitude of the other GAs that SWK was their gay "expert" and the guy who they had handle all the gay confessions from missionaries and leadership.

Posted by: popolvuh ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 01:57AM

We don't want him, he stays on your team.

I'm wracking my brain trying to think up the name of the bigwig conservative theorist for Focus on the Family. He's written quite extensively how gay sex is just so frigging fantastic that straight men will switch teams if they aren't constantly prevented from temptation. This guy is taken seriously by the haters, as crazy as that whole thing sounds. I bet that's exactly how SWK saw it. First you get good at jerking it, then you do it with your buddies, soon enough you've left dull pathetic heterosex behind for good.

Date: September 23, 2012 02:00AM

I forgot to mention his mutual masturbation is being one of the steps before "total homosexuality." I'm sorry, if I have another guy rubbing my junk for sexual pleasure, then I am pretty certain I have crossed over to the other team.

Us straights don't want him either. I guess he'll just have to be content on being eternally the last kid picked.

Posted by: popolvuh ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:11AM

He's creepy enough that I think he should be on his own team, nobody really deserves being stuck with him.

You know, in many parts of the world, plenty of guys rub each other's junk all the time and there's no sense of a line being crossed. Its defined differently, our US categories of gay and straight (or bi) don't fit what happens at all. In latin america, virtually all guys grow up and fool around with each other, sometimes even after they are married. And they are allowed to have sex with transgenders too, as long as they top. All of this is talked about and joked about openly. And nobody is actually gay, except the guys who are effeminate or acting as bottom. My hubby is brazilian, and we've had friends of his and family ask us, 'which one of you is gay?' That question makes no sense here, but it does in lots of other places. Wacky, huh:)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2012 02:39AM by popolvuh.

Posted by: Mateo Pastor ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 09:29AM

Posted by: xyz ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 09:34AM

Rumor has it that Spencer kissed.

I still don't want him on my team, and it ain't because he looked like Yoda.

Posted by: Greyfort ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:06AM

popolvuh Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> We don't want him, he stays on your team.

LOL. Don't blame ya.

I'm thinking though about that preacher who was in the news a little while ago, who gave Bible-thumping sermons on the evils of being gay. Then it turned out he was gay.

Posted by: TheIrrationalShark ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:39AM

Ted Haggard?

Posted by: Jude ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:09AM

Couldn't he just be an alleged sadist, narcisist, messed up predator?

If he was the last one picked it sure makes his alleged prefrences make a lot more sense. lol.

Not the first thing I wanted to say.

This alleged stuff hurts to write. I'm old enough to know much more than I can put here.

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:11AM

I'm directly descended from Spencer W Kimball. So if that means I'm directly descended from the most fabulous gay mormon prophet that would be interesting. I got no juice to support that idea though.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:31AM

That would be interesting!

Posted by: Youngandfree ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 02:37AM

Besides the OP already had fabulous and gay on the same line. Lol.

None of my other family descended from him, aren't to my knowledge, gay. However I am mildly bisexual. I can like both genders romantically though I prefer relationships with females usually. I think it's because man and woman are still so deeply engrained into my head.

Posted by: Startariot ( )
Date: December 22, 2012 10:04AM

I know I'm alittle off topic but does anyone know any good sources for finding out about SWKs family tree. I'm really into my family history and I was told my family are related to him.

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 10:28AM

forbiddencokedrinker Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm no Steve Benson, so I will rely on others to
> supply most of the dirt evidence. To me, his
> assertion that masturbation would lead to "total
> homosexuality" in his book "Miracle of
> Forgiveness" seems the most obvious. The phrase
> total homosexuality only makes sense, if you
> believe there is a lesser homosexuality, where
> maybe you are plagued by gay thoughts, but don't
> abide, or that was all in your past.

forbiddencokedrinker, you are an intelligent, creative guy; I bet you could come up with a lot of different ways that the phrase "total homosexuality" could make sense.

We assume that since SWK railed against homosexuality so much that he must have been a latent gay. However he was given the assignment by the brethren to deal with homosexuals. He did it in the usual Mormon GA way--assuming that Mormonism was true and then laying down the law. His railing against homosexuality and masturbation may have been the result of his extensive dealings with gay Mormons in a GA-sinner setting. I'm sure that if he asked any of them if they've ever masturbated could have lead to his insane idea that masturbation is a "cause."

I'm sure he "counseled" many people who were bi. Therefore the phrase "total homosexuality" would make sense and the policy that he endorsed of getting gay guys married off to women as a "cure" would fit his cluelessness. So I don't think we can assume from his diatribes against homosexuality that he had gay feelings himself that he was fighting.

However . . .

I once met a gay Mormon who had been counseled by SWK. He said that he was told that it was simply a problem of self control and that he just needed to resist the urges more. I don't now about SWK, but I'm not gay and it has nothing to do with "self control." Maybe SWK was "not gay" because he was better at exercising self control.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: September 23, 2012 12:25PM

He interviewed me, in SLC, for my mission and was totally obsesed with sex.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 22, 2012 10:22AM

I have also seen suggestions that President George Albert Smith (Heber J. Grant's successor when Grant died in 1945) was gay. He was the only church president who was unmarried (a long-time widower), and I have seen reports from Mormon gays whom he interviewed and with whom he seemed very gentle and con-condemning.

Of course, the Mormon view of "same sex attraction" has changed greatly in the last 60 years or so. See Michael Quinn's studies on this.

Even Stephens, the director of the Tabernacle Choir and composer of many popular Mormon hymns (and a friend of my grandparents) was almost openly gay, and always had several of his "favorite boys" with him. Nobody made a big fuss about it.

Posted by: PapaKen ( )
Date: December 22, 2012 10:30AM

He interviewed me before my mission, too.

(I've posted what follows before, but here it is again for the newbies)

I confessed to the MP in Provo about having had unconfessed gay experiences, and he sent me to see Spencer Kimball in SLC.

Spencer had me sit down and the conversation went all the way from, "Is there something I can help you with?" to "Did you put your penis in his mouth?" and "Did he put his penis in your mouth?"

(In his defense, I can't imagine an apostle asking me "Did you suck him off?")

But still, why did he have to get so graphic? Looking back, I can't help but wonder if he was enjoying it in some way. Who knows?

Before I left, he and I knelt down and prayed for my sake, and at the time, I thought that was pretty nifty.

But I'll never forget those graphic questions.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2012 10:32AM by PapaKen.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.