Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:06AM

For the FLDS today? Warren Jeffs says the world will end today (12/23/2012) ...and if it doesn't, Jeffers? Then what are you going to tell them to do... drink the koolaid? I wish I could make light of this situation... but I am literally shivering because I am so scared of what will become of the FLDS. I cant stand the idea that there is nothing I can do for them; especially the children. They don't deserve any of it. Yet time and time again they are subjected to these manipulative, controlling men, such as Warren Jeffs, and there is no way out for them. They are planted in this dangerous man's hands the day they are born and Jeffs knows it... but he doesn't care... as long as he gets what he is looking for he is perfectly fine crushing something so pure in his hands. He is a monster.

What do you guys think? Are you nervous?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:16AM

Yes, it is disconcerting that a person like this could possibly have that much influence. Yeah, yeah, I know all about Jones and Heaven's Gate, but DAMN.

Here's what I hope happens. When Jeff's so-called "followers" are still here tomorrow, their eyes open and they realize that this dickhead isn't anymore a prophet than Monson is, and they get back to a real life.

Hey, I can dream, right?

Posted by: truthseeker ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:37AM

+1 to them realizing (finally) that he's been faking them out the whole time and to them starting a new life

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:25AM

I think that Jeffs has too much of an ego to sacrifice his followers in that manner. He'll figure something out to explain why everyone is still here.

Posted by: rander70 ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:35AM

Yes, he will blame the victims. He will tell them it is because they have no faith and punish them accordingly.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 08:28AM

These countless so-called 'end of the world' predictors have had a zero percent success rate so far. ZERO PERCENT. I just wish other people could appreciate that.

The LDS church doesn't seem to say much about the Second Coming these days?! You'd think that if it really was the one true church, it might have a bit more to say on the matter. In this case their increasing silence does condemn them.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 09:26AM

This was talked of heavily when I was a kid in primary. How we were so valiant, this was it, it would happen in our lifetimes. Of course I'm only in my 30's so there's plenty of time but now I understand they've been selling this for a while. Is 150 years too long to wait while still calling yourself that?

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 12:49PM

As a kid in Primary, this scared me to death. I was afraid I wasn't good enough. No kid should ever think that. I find it abusive and unnecessary.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 02:28PM

+100 me too.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 10:00AM

They spend their lives twisting facts and collecting brain stoppers to explain any argument or conclusion.

Think of the average mormon saying apostates just want to sin, they're lazy or offended. It's a stock answer that shuts down independent thought.

The more extreme mormons like Jeffs just have more extreme explainations to keep their flock from thinking about real implecations.

I grew up around these nuts and went to bet every night thinking I'd only live in a "normal" world for a few more weeks or months at most. Whenever there was a deadline, a plyg prophet would say some dumb thing about how the end was still coming but . . . . That was going on more than 50 years ago in Hildale/Colorado City/Short Creek and every one of the 100s of plyg cults in the West.

Posted by: RPackham ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:06AM

Didn't one of the LDS apostles recently say that the end was NOT going to be soon?

Posted by: Yaqoob ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:09AM

It's hard to view many of these followers as victims but they are. It's hard to view many TBMs as victims, but many of them are too. These FLDS don't have options, especially the women; they can't walk away. It's the only world they know. Goddamn cults.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:38AM

He's done this several times before, and when it doesn't happen, he will tell his members it was because they were not faithful enough.

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:44AM

Exactly. It's the fault of the people who believed him.

Remember the missionary who posted here that he felt overwhelming guilt on his mission because he was told specifically by the MP that his masturbating had delayed the Second Coming.

I know, you are laughing but that is some serious mind-f*cking.

Anagrammy

PS - To the OP. Don't worry, I have connections in Purgatory due to my long stint in Catholicism. I put a hit out on Jeffs.

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:44AM

Why does being LDS attract so many whackos?

Posted by: StillAnon ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 11:57AM

Because they control the Mormon Baby Maker machine, the Mormon brainwashing system & the Mormon guilt machine, thus ensuring an endless stream of future whackos.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 01:17PM

I know you are being serious and like you said we shouldn't make light of the situation. But I can't help it!

Think of it as Darwinism and religion in action! Think of it as thinning the herd if you will. We could give them the Darwin Award for the year.

Cults have always come and gone. Humans with herd tendencies will get sheared.

It's hard to balance the rights of people to isolate themselves and believe what they want with forcing critical thinking skills. When a group controls education within a group to make sure it agrees with what they think, their beliefs become the limited reality to people who don't know anything else.

It's sad in this day and age when information is so accessible that these things are still going on.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 01:35PM

It's like the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Their end times have been numerous but the die-hard believers always find a way to keep beLIEving.

Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: December 23, 2012 03:00PM

I did not know about this in specific, but I do have concern for the women and children of this cult. I did not encounter many polygamist families that I recognized in Northern and Central Utah, but did have multiple encounters with Suthern Utah polygamists. I believe these are people that need external help and that the passive Mormon law enforcement and bureaucracies enable the evil exploitation of these people in order to avoid the messy PR issues that will occur do to the enforcement of US marriage and tax law.

Those who have driven through Colorado City, AZ and Hilldale, UT know they do not finish their home to skirt property tax concerns. They apparently rely heavily and WIC, state and federal programs as single mothers with children and no income. Their private businesses and property ownership are matters ripe for tax scrutiny and yet the Mormon leaders of these states do not act.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2012 03:01PM by gentlestrength.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.