Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 02:27AM

There have been some whoppers in the past, on this subject, including stuff people have actually done, or at least claimed to on the internet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 02:42AM

How about a combination of a temple veil / glory hole?

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 02:42AM

This fat hippy guy named Karl was fed up with the pre-noon door knocking of JVs. So he got up early and sat on the couch wearing nothing but his tighty whities and clutching a rubber chicken.

When the god goons rattled at his screen, he put the neck of the rubber chicken in his mouth and answered the door, near naked and growling. The Jehovahs, witless, ran off.

Posted by: rachel1 ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 07:25AM

I would never do it, but last time the mishies knocked on my door I politely threatened them that if they did it again I would answer nude.

It's been two years and they haven't knocked on my door since.

Posted by: sherlock ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 04:18PM

Now where did I put that name tag?.........

Posted by: Brethren,adieu ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 09:02AM

Having been in missionary shoes myself, I would let them in, offer them something to drink, and give them a break from knocking on doors for as long as I had the time. Missionaries are victims of cultural upbringing and social pressure. No sane 18 or 19 year old would volunteer to go door to door for 2 years to sell something that nobody wants.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 09:47AM

I pity missionaries and don't want to give them a bad time. They're in the throes of cult indoctrination. They're victims. Abusing them will have no affect on the real villains.

Date: December 31, 2012 10:11AM

I think you're right. Let's change this to bishopric. They're older and should know better.

Posted by: jpt ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 11:56AM

I humor the missionaries, and I am usually nice to them if they don't get arrogant/pushy. I'm not supportive of what they do, but it's more of a "It's a big world out there, so hey, whatever floats your boat."

The Ward members and leaders.... that's a different story. Especially the drop-ins. They need to answer for what they're doing. Odd.... it's been a while since anybody came by.

Posted by: catnip ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 03:47AM

Invited them in, offered them hot cocoa if the weather was cold, or a cool soda or lemonade if the weather was hot. And then I would tell them that I was an apostate - no real talk about religion, just that the church didn't work for me, so I left.

Then I would segue right along into asking them where they were from, what they planned to do after their mission, you know - stuff related to REAL life.

Funny, not a one has rung my doorbell in at least three years, though I have seen them on my street. I guess the Big Guys can't handle the idea of impressionable mishies running into a NICE apostate, so they may have told them to leave our house alone.

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 09:24PM

100%
But it's different with bishop, home teachers.When they knock on the door I ask them if they had made an appointment. If not I tell them I will call them again later, but sorry not at the moment. I'm playing a computer game that I don’t wanna interrupt. Very important stuff.

And sorry, I realy got the nerve to do that.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/31/2012 09:25PM by buddyjoe.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 09:37AM

I think the best thing to do is serve up a nice bowl of cog dis. I've been toying with the idea of feeding the missionaries. Our ward is responsible for feeding two sets. We will tell them right off the bat that we don't want a spiritual message, that we don't believe in the church, but we want to give them a nice meal. We could think of some carefully crafted bombs to drop, while telling them our story, how we used to be Mormon last summer.

Posted by: Outcast ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 10:20AM

Same way I answered the JWs a while back in my front yard.

I asked the elderly JW man about his church's stance on gay people? Before he had a chance to compose a response, I forged ahead with, "I think the true test whether a church is Christian is how it treats gay people."

And I truly believe that. The Jesus I read about would preach love and acceptance, not judgment and stigmatization.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 11:18AM

There's quite a bit in the bible you have to actively ignore in order to come to your conclusion. The JW would win that debate hands down.

There are plenty of verses condemning homosexuality. There's not one single verse that says be nice to gay people and, oh yeah, let them get married if they want. All-knowing jesus was silent on the matter.

Posted by: southern should login ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 12:29PM

This would depend on if you believe that being a Christian means following Jesus' words or the Bible. If it means following Jesus' words then I'd say his silence on the issue is a green light for equality. He can't have though it was a big deal if he isn't recording preaching on it. So I think that's a great way to judge a church. Are they following what Christ had to say about things or what the Bible has to say.

Posted by: sd ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 06:40PM

upside down like Jamie Foxx in Django

Posted by: wantthetruth ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 06:58PM

Actually I was pretty good friends with all the sets of missionaries in our area. Mainly because at the time I was the ward mission leader and interacted with them often.
I'm kind of a jokester anyway, and they knew that also.
Iv'e answered the door in my garms, in a towel and even with a tight shirt stuffed with balloon boobs while wearing a chicken mask.
The mishes would just laugh their asses off. They are so emotionally oppressed and controlled I always felt they needed some comedy in their depressed situation.

Wantthetruth

Posted by: ducky333 ( )
Date: December 31, 2012 09:56PM

eta--took it down. My bf and I were sitting here laughing doing that. It was going to be even worse. I figured I'd rather not have that up here in perpetuity.

I can't even blame alcohol for it.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 02:52AM by ducky333.

Date: December 31, 2012 09:59PM

Just write the word adult at the top of your post, and it will be all okay.

Date: January 01, 2013 12:44AM

oops wrong place

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 02:49AM by ducky333.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 12:54AM

my ex answered the door to some home teachers once by screaming "WE'RE PAGAN!!!!!!!" He just screamed it like a crazy person and then slammed the door in their faces. They never came over again (at that house anyway, when i moved they of course showed up again)

Posted by: Lethbridge Reprobate ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 01:05AM

Offer them coffee and or a beer...and then act hurt when they turn you down...

Ron Burr

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 01:06AM by Lethbridge Reprobate.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 01:07AM

the LEAST they could do is share a beer, right? I would def need one to get through a "discussion"

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 12:14PM

Or special "tea" which doesn't come under the WoW. Describe it as "special" and so forth and they will probably drink it. Try ginseng tea or some other herbal tea first. Then some real tea with perhaps orange or mint flavoring - after all it is all "herbal". As for coffee, mix in a little bit of chocolate and make them think it is postum or something. The tea is easier. After a few visits let them know. In the meantime, just ask questions of them about the BoA and DNA. Don't hammer them. Just be quizzical, as if you don't quite understand yourself. Also ask about their families. Ask if all are TBM. If someone isn't ask why. Planting the herbal seeds is a start.

The above is more effective than any prank.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 12:15PM by rhgc.

Posted by: Brother Bacon Sandwich ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 10:16AM

I haven't had any missionaries come to the house since we resigned about 15 years ago. But someone on rfm suggested some time ago what I think/hope I'll do when it happens next.

Be courteous and kind to them, perhaps offer them something to drink or some food. Tell them that I'm a 6th gen BIC resigned mormon from a family that is all mormon and that I don't want to hear their message or pray or any of that. Look them in the eye and tell them that if they need a safe place or help leaving their mission that I'm happy to help them.

Posted by: Happy_Heretic ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 10:55AM

I would answer the door and say, "I am just headed out. But, if you will give me your home addresses I would be happy to come over to your house unannounced and tell you why my belief system is right and yours is wrong. "

I am, however, too lazy so I just tell them that I believe it's false and wish them well as I shut the door.

=)
HH

Posted by: Heresy ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 12:08PM

I'd be happy to send someone a fraction of their age over to explain....

Date: January 01, 2013 04:27PM

Wow, my mind (and my friend's) went to SUCH a different place with that question. I guess we're perverts. But it woulda been totally effective.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 04:29PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/01/2013 04:56PM by MJ.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 04:48PM

I would say the same thing I always say: "No, thank you." and then I shut the door without letting them talk.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 04:53PM

Because I was a missionary, I used to talk with them for the first ten years or so after I left. Then I would tell them, like Mak, "No, thank you," and close the door. When we started getting them every single week after moving to a small town, I put up a No Solicitation sign on the door with a sub-line: this includes religious organizations. Nobody has bugged us since.

Posted by: tiptoes ( )
Date: January 01, 2013 06:19PM

I have a volume of the history of the church and the green student manual of History in the Fullness of Times on my bookcase near the front door, earmarked with pages dealing with JS's lie about practicing polygamy. If a missionary and/or other pushes me, I will reference it and watch them squirm.

Posted by: peregrine ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 07:13AM

I like the idea somebody else posted about just being really cool with them. Invite them in, offer them a beverage, kick your feet up and relax. Or just continue doing whatever you were doing before they came by. Watching the game, doing dishes, doing laundry, working on the car, whatever. Just make them feel incredibly welcome in your world. Don’t change a thing about what you where doing but don’t be rude either. In short just give them a quick window into the life of a normal person. A life they are missing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/02/2013 07:13AM by peregrine.

Posted by: Exmosis ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 11:14AM

If I lived alone, I would tell them what I think of Mormonism.

Since I have kids, I tell them not to come over and no thank you because I don't want our kids to get mixed up with Mormonism, and the slight possibility of that happening through them interacting with my kids is going to be eliminated.

Otherwise, I do think it'd be really fun to ask them if they've ever been to an orgy and if they'd like to participate in one - just to see their eyes go wide etc.

Posted by: Major Bidamon ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 12:31PM

I had a nevermo friend answer the door with a sumarai sword and a beer.

Posted by: druid ( )
Date: January 02, 2013 01:58PM

" Let me get you something to drink. I got Dr. Pepper and Dr. Pepper.... just messin with you. I am a godless heathen apostate now, but I served a mission years ago right here in this area!!"

Quick, bear me your obligatory testimony YOu have 10 seconds go! Then we can sit and visit."

Keep it light and fun. let them know you have never been happier. Invite them back as a place to crash if they need a few minutes under the radar....

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.