Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: pandora ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 02:36PM

Hi All - I posted a few days ago and got some great suggestions for talking to my kids about why we are leaving the church. I decided to explain it from a scientific point of view. My 10 yr old loves archeology and visited the Tut exhibit with me when it was in San Francisco a few years ago. We just showed the kids how we know about ancient Egypt, Greece and America. My son already knew about the land bridge and where the American Indians had come from which surprised me. When I read them the introduction to the book of mormon he said "That just doesn't make any sense". We told them that there is no evidence that the book of mormon happened and there should be. Then we talked about the difference between history/fact books and fiction. My son said that he knows Harry Potter is fiction but he wishes it was true. I told him that I've come to know that the book of mormon is fiction. Everyone seemed to get it. I was surprised how good it went. I'm sure they will have more questions but I think we are off to a good start! Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: gentlestrength ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 02:38PM

Well done! You are officially an expert on sharing with younger minds why a family is no longer going to the Mormon church. Well done Mom, I am so proud you chose to cut the Mormon lie off with your children. Best wishes!

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 05, 2013 03:43PM

Awesome! Well done.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.