Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 01:13PM

My husband is a cub leader and he really enjoys it. He tries to participate in scouts at more than the church level and last week attended a Round Table meeting that was held in a nearby Non-LDS church in our community.

While speaking to a lady there, she happened to mention that they had compiled a handbook on how to deal with, and get along with the LDS scouts, because in her words, "they are so different from other scout troops!"

I found this to be extremely funny that the LDS troops are so "weird" that others need a handbook to know how to deal with them!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: MexMom ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 01:20PM

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 01:23PM

if/when BSA gets wind of this... You Can Bet it'll be Extinguished!

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 01:26PM

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 01:26PM

Awesome! I live in the Utah County bubble world where pretty much all scout troops are Mormon.

However my brother in AZ keeps getting called to be scoutmaster in his wards (he doesn't mind so much now that he actually has a son that age).

Anyhow, he told me that the non-LDS scout troops down there are very unimpressed with the Mormon ones - they are pretty much a big joke.

I think the biggest reason is apparent. In other scout programs the leaders are they because the want to be - in the LDS ones they are there because they are called to be. My wife & I were in cub scouts together a few years ago and we loved it. But ALL of the other leaders hated it. The parents had a bad attitude about it - it was really frustrating.

Then of course despite, or maybe because, we loved it and did a lot of work to make it great, we get released after doing it less than 3 years. Meanwhile all those leaders who hate it are still doing it 6 years later, still hate it and do a half-ass job.

Mormons. They can even ruin scouting.

Which is pretty sad considering scouting is already a bigoted, discriminatory organization to begin with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 01:27PM by bc.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 11:10PM

Lol! I noticed that in New York as well. Its not just the leaders who are more committed, its the boys as well, and often their families too! In non-LDS troops, you only join the Boy Scouts if you love scouting. In LDS troops you just do it because thats what Mormons do. Don't get me wrong, there are LDS boys who love scouting too (I know I did), but there are probably just as many who are only there because they felt like they were "supposed to" go.

Also, there's the matter of sponsors. Most other troops get generous businesses from the area who give them lots of great gear and sent them on cool trips. The parents also contribute a lot because its something their son really loves doing. Compare that with the LDS troops. Their parents usually contribute nothing in terms of money. And their only sponsor is the stingy Mormon church!

Of course Mormon troops are a laughing stock. They pull up in a couple minivans full of bored boys who'd rather be home playing x-box, led by a bunch of inexperienced, uninterested leaders, with whatever ragtag assortment of gear the church and a couple of the families have thrown together to keep them going for a few days. Its honestly rather pathetic.

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 02:23PM

I'd love to see a copy of that handbook if you can score one. Won't be shared unless you want it to be.

Posted by: PinkPoodle ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 02:27PM

I'd love to see it, too. I'll see what I can do to get a copy of it! LOL!

Posted by: cymorg ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 02:27PM

had a great time in scouts actually

Posted by: MormonThinker ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 05:39PM

cymorg Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> had a great time in scouts actually

I did too. Somehow it doesn't seem quite as fun as it use to be.

Posted by: Richard the Bad ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 03:18PM

Back in the day, when I was working for the USFS, and my TBM brother happened to be a troop leader in the moridor, I mentioned to him the scariest words a federal land manager can ever hear:

"Mormon Boy Scout Troop".

For some reason he really got his garmies in a wad.

Posted by: icedlatte ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 03:28PM

Years ago, they called DH to lead the 11yo scouts. He told the bishop that he worked every Saturday and had night classes for grad school on Tuesdays (when the scouts were meeting), not to mention was very busy every night with classes, studying and trying to squeeze in a few minutes to spend with his family. But nooo the Lord was calling him as scout leader, the Lord would work it all out, just have faith Brother! And of course, no good TBM can turn down a calling, so he accepted it. He rearranged his class schedule to make it to meetings, but couldn't change his work schedule. He got yelled at so many times by parents for not being able to go to the scouts Saturday activities. He had that calling until we moved and all the scouts ever got to do was play basketball in the gym and go camping when the parents took them.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 05:41PM

Maybe that book would have some good pointers for us exmo's.

I would like to read how nevermo's think is the best way to deal with mormons. There has to be some real gems in there.

Posted by: bezoar ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 05:45PM

My brother is a very active TBM, but he has his sons in a non-LDS scout troop. He'd agree with everything in this post. He's very active in scouting in his area, but none of it having to do with the mormons.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 05:48PM

I had to fight against the stigma against LDS scout troops in order to get my Eagle, and it was a very tough battle. It was quite common in my troop for boys to dedicate hundreds and hundreds of hours into perfecting their Eagle applications, only to get denied because the board managed to find some obscure technicality. It was apparent they only did this against the LDS troops. I was the second boy in my troop to get my Eagle in over ten years. Neither of my brothers got it.

I was quite proud. Looking back, I still feel like I embodied everything Boy Scouts was about, LDS or not. However, I also now have fierce disagreements against the BSA and am quite ashamed of my extremely-hard-earned Eagle.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/2013 05:50PM by kimball.

Posted by: Kyle ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 08:24PM

Reminds me of an area Boy Scout function here in Florida several years ago. On top of all the issues that the Mormon troops had.. this particular activity was on a sunday.. so the Mormon troops all got up.. dressed up in their sunday suits. (in the wilderness in 95 degree humid weather no less) and had a little church meeting. The other troops just stared in unbelief. They just have to go out of their way to be just plain weird.. I was so embarrassed.. and damned if I was going put on a damn suit in the hot outdoors.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 11:14PM

That is so typical and so inconsiderate of the boys. Good for you for resisting.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 08, 2013 11:27PM

My ex-mo brother just told me an interesting 'scouting' story:

On an overnighter, prolly about 55 years ago, the Mo scout leader took one of the boys into his tent for an all nighter. WTF?

My brother knew something was wrong with that picture, even back then when he was a young teen...

What a cult

Posted by: alx71ut ( )
Date: January 09, 2013 02:22PM

I had a family in my longest Ward on my mission that was really cool. The dad was an Army officer and pretty cool about the religion but definitely TBM. He and his wife were both RMs with him a convert and her BIC. They put their sons in non-LDS troops because they just thought it was better than the lame LDS ones in military wards. I even gave a talk for one of them at his Eagle Court but kept it non-missionarish (except for my obvious uniform of shirt/tie and that black mishie tag. Another time they did their own baptismal service for a son with permission of the Bishop and had me conduct it and it was on a weekday night (son's birthday). One time this guy oddly told me that when he retired from the Army that he and his wife were going to put in mission papers so he'd be a Mission President. I though "hmmmm ok". Well that's exactly what they did and its interesting to see their blog now that he's been a Mission President for over a year.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.