Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rt ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 04:50PM

Admittedly, I haven't read any of the Mormon tribe threads but they reminded me of the article linked to below. In it, LDS anthropologist Wouter van Beek describes 19th century Mormonism as the "tribe of deseret".

The guy is as TBM as they come but I consider this article to be one of his better ones.

http://www.dialoguejournal.com/wp-content/uploads/sbi_old/articles/Dialogue_V38N04_11.pdf

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 04:56PM

Unlike an american Indian, when I left my so called Mormon tribe, I was no longer a Mormon. Neither was any of my immediate family.

If you're an American Indian and leave your tribe, you're still an American Indian. Nothing will ever change that.

That particular fact is what prevents me from thinking of Mormons as a tribe.

I'm also not bound to Utah in any way shape or form.

I don't care if others want to think they are part of the mormon tribe.Myself, I will not claim it. It's a cult that held me hostage in many ways, and for many years. That's how I will always view it. That was my experience with it.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/2013 05:06PM by Mia.

Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 08:16PM

You couldn't have a more artificial culture than Mormonism. I felt alienated at a very young age. Having been raised in the fringes of Mormondom (never lived in Utah), I was frequently impressed with local cultures moreso than the artificial overlay of LDSism. Other families were clearly happier and more functional than my own. Housing was often too small for our herd, so we were at each other's throats.

That's my experience, and it can't be denied or taken from me.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 04:59PM

Well here's what's going on under the covers.

SusieQs point of view is that Mormonism is a way of life - a close knit tribe - it has it's issue, sure, but we should just live and let live - they can believe what they want.

Most, but not all, other's point is that Mormonism is a damaging cult and is destructive to it's members and to those who come in contact with. It is harmful to those involved with it.

The debate has been raging on RFM for years.

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: January 10, 2013 08:22PM

bc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well here's what's going on under the covers.
>
> SusieQs point of view is that Mormonism is a way
> of life - a close knit tribe - it has it's issue,
> sure, but we should just live and let live - they
> can believe what they want.
>
> Most, but not all, other's point is that Mormonism
> is a damaging cult and is destructive to it's
> members and to those who come in contact with. It
> is harmful to those involved with it.
>
> The debate has been raging on RFM for years.

Yes that sums it up on one level!

I am not the only one that takes the kinder, gentler approach of trust, unconditional love, respect and tolerance -- exactly what I want in return from others.

Everyone I know personally, takes the same general approach to some degree and finds the successful results of continued relationships regardless of religious beliefs. My approach is one that sustains longevity and respect for others.

But to each his own!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.