Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Dallin A. Chokes ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 12:22AM

I was watching a couple of documentaries about advertising and propaganda recently, and a few things jumped out at me. They discussed how many big-name companies had stopped doing comparative advertising (saying "our product is better than so and so") and moved over into a type where they wanted to induce in their customers "loyalty beyond reason". They wanted to instill in the consumer a devotion that bordered on fanaticism.

The ad campaigns began to focus on showing the products as lifestyles--some of them took on an almost spiritual quality to them (Nike ads as inspiring, etc.). They looked at how some companies had turned to psychology to find ways to get at the "lizard brain"--to turn our inherent impulses against us to make us spend more and more for reasons even we couldn't understand. They used focus groups and research to get to the heart of what their customers wanted, and tried to sell it via branding, not necessarily product. They showed a minor Delta airline called "song" (which I didn't remember, and which is now defunct) which targeted women specifically.

As I watched these, and, as with most things I take in these days, I drew parallels to my Mormon experience. I thought about how I've read that TSCC uses image consultants and market research--basically running a business. And their ad campaigns (the Homefront series--"Isn't it about time?" and the recent "I'm a Mormon" campaign). And their Heartsell. And I began to wonder--how much of Mormonism is just a product? How has it gotten to the point where people exhibit "loyalty beyond reason"? And, if it IS a product, what do the consumers get from it? What are they selling? A lifestyle? A promise for the afterlife? (Even if they make this life a hell?) The latest campaign seems to make it pretty amorphous--there is no product other than being able to call yourself a Mormon. You can be a single dad. A skateboarder. A working mom. An artist. But you can also be a MORMON! They are selling a subscription service for warm fuzzies about yourself--the ability to think of yourself (regardless of your station in life) as chosen, special, righteous, the elite of God.

Does anyone take themselves as seriously as the Mormons do? I know no one takes the Mormons as seriously as the Mormons do.

What do you think? Product?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:04AM

Mormonism, with new Xanax, can bleach your soul as white as temple gowns. It contains 100% purity. Choosey mothers who know choose Mormax for white washing delightsome whites. Make whites glow like Chernobyl under a full moon. Mormax will remove the stains of masturbation and guilt.

Relax, you'll clean the chapel loo
Mormax will make it easy to

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:12AM

LOL! Thanks I needed that laugh. It's funny because it's true.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:24AM

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:19AM

I have taken some marketing/advertising classes and I always see things through that kind of filter. If someone has a good product they do not need to push it or try to sneak it in. They put it on the table, tell you about it and let you make a choice. If someone is trying to "hard sell" you - don't walk RUN away. And if someone is trying to sell you a diamond ring for a buck it is not worth ten cents.

Recently I got roped into an in home knife demo as a favor to a friend. It was text book Sales101. The whole time I kept thinking of the parallel sales pitch in LDSInc. Build rapport, ask about current haves and needs, show your product, show how your product is better, solicit agreement, show how you can easily have the - by your own admission - better product. Two hours later I didn't buy any knives but I did buy a nice shears that I really needed since Hubby broke mine. It would have saved both of us a lot of time if she would have just handed me the booklet and an order form.

Mormonism IS a product. They use kids and older people as door knockers for the same reason the knife people do. In general people are more open to them. But in the final analysis, the knife people are selling a MUCH better product than LDSInc.

Posted by: adoylelb ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 03:34PM

That's true about Mormonism being a bad product that people have to hard sell. I've noticed that some of the missionaries I did get to know are now working in sales, as they basically did an unpaid internship for 2 years.

Posted by: Topper Von Topperson ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 03:29PM

Topping for more exposure.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.