Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Nermal ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:05PM

I can't believe how many exmos still believe in crackpot conspiracy theories such as global warming being a hoax.
Even more incredible is how many exmos are ridiculously paranoid about the scientific medical establishment.
Where did this obsession with crackpot "alternative" and "natural" treatment come from?
I read somewhere that Utah has more chiropractors, naturopaths, osteopaths, and other quacks per capita than any other state.
Is hereditary insanity rampant in Mormon families?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:08PM

I'm not quite sure where your "many exmos" statistics come from.

Of the 40-50 exmos I've met I can only think of one that is into conspiracy theories. I've met none that are paranoid of the scientific medical establishment.

So now I'm suspicious you are guilty of exactly what you are blaming on others - believing stuff without actually having any backing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:58PM by bc.

Posted by: The exmo formerly known as Br. Vreeland ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:16PM

But I never really equated the two. He believes in some funny, wacky and sometimes dangerous stuff. Maybe it's more the mindset that would allow someone to believe in the conspiracy also allows them to fall for Mormonism.

Posted by: Nermal ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:17PM

You must not read many of the conspiracy theory and alternative medicine posts here.
If I remember correctly, you're one of the most devoted adherents of these ideas here.
hello has you beat, though.

Date: January 11, 2013 01:23PM

Find one that I adhere to please. Link to thread?

I'm not saying that there isn't a subset of exmos that subscribe to that kind of thinking. My point is that your assertion that it is widespreadh is hypocritical - you are using faulty data to attack people for believing things based on faulty data.

For example your assertion that I am into that kind of stuff. Show a link of where I support it and at least partially vindicate yourself. Otherwise your false assertion that I believe those kind of things makes my point for me...

In fact you may note that one of the links I occasionally post on here is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=752V173e31o

and one I frequently post is this:
http://www.michaelshermer.com/weird-things/excerpt/

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:30PM by bc.

Date: January 11, 2013 01:41PM

Or more concisely:

You are stereotyping which is just as irrational as what you are accusing others of doing.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:44PM by bc.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:30PM

No, you must be thinking of someone else. BC isn't a conspiracy buff, but they certainly do seem to be coming out of the woodwork lately.

Date: January 11, 2013 01:34PM

Whatever - you are in a conspiracy with Nermal to discredit me. Quit playing good cop / bad cop against me!

I do agree there have been a rash of the whack job posts on here lately. However to take that and make the assertion that it means there is "hereditary insanity rampant in Mormon families" is just another example of said irrational thinking.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:34PM by bc.

Date: January 11, 2013 01:46PM

lol.. Well, maybe you need to meet my family. ;-)

Date: January 11, 2013 02:02PM

Heh. Present company excepted...

Date: January 11, 2013 02:07PM

I wouldn't go that far. ;-)

Date: January 11, 2013 02:25PM

Actually I'm a proponent of global warming - I think the world is too damn cold. ;)

Date: January 11, 2013 01:14PM

We seem to be getting a rash of it on RfM lately. I wonder if it's because the 12/21/2012 thing didn't work out, and now they're floundering around trying to revise their mythology.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:20PM

I haven't noticed any trend of exmos being crackpot conspiracy theorists more than average.

Chiropractors, naturopaths, osteopaths, etc., hold state licenses. They CAN be quacks but not necessarily. They're quacks if they make bogus claims. An MD can do that.

And certainly I've seen no hint whatsoever that your claim that "...many exmos are ridiculously paranoid of the scientific medical establishment" is true.

"Is hereditary insanity rampant in Mormon families?"

Just sayin', you might have a little quackery issue yerself.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:58PM by amos2.

Posted by: Carol Y. ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:44PM

When allopathic medicine gained prominence, those using homeopathy were shoved aside for the more lucrative methods. Some practitioners, nowadays, who aren't such black and white thinkers, are combining the best of both worlds, to their credit.

Posted by: FormerLatterClimber ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 01:52PM

There are two kinds of people in this world: the humble kind, who want to know the unknown, who listen to others' points of view, without judgement. Then there's the arrogant kind, who think they are above others in their thinking, and that they have everything figured out. The latter type end up being so closed minded that they rival in ignorance and the know-it-all attitude that is so rampant among Mormons. There have been a rash of that kind here lately. Funny that you see that the opposite is the case. For the life of me I can't understand why it's so important for posters like you to discredit others. I agree with Amos. I don't see the crack pot conspiracy theorists but I sure do see the know-it-all's lately. And by the way, calling chiropractors crackpots, really? And there's something wrong with homeopathy? I don't get it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 01:53PM by FormerLatterClimber.

Date: January 11, 2013 01:54PM

Well said.

Also worth noting is the arrogant kind often tend to make a lot more noise and be more visible.

Posted by: AmIDarkNow? ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:13PM

It comes from the admonition of Paul—"We believe all things, we hope all things, ..." Whether is makes sense or not.

I don't seem to fit into the "crackpot conspiracy theories" group. I go where the factual evidence sends me.

Question everything but don't go insane doing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 02:13PM by AmIDarkNow?.

Posted by: kimball ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:28PM

Most TBM's who are willing to talk to me about religious topics are into crackpot conspiracy theories and are not shy in expressing their doubt and contempt for the scientific community.

Most TBM's who don't want to talk about religion are pretty normal, or at least they don't say anything to make me believe otherwise.

Most exmos tend to lean towards paranoia of mormons and religion if anything. Not science.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/2013 02:31PM by kimball.

Posted by: Riverman ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:40PM

But I am not convinced that global warming is completely what the media and others portray it as.

I think the world has been constantly warming since the ice age. I think the earth has cycles.

Do I think that humans have done things to increase the warming? Probably so.

But I also think there are some groups that have alterior motives for promoting global warning, first being money.

And I am first to admit... I have not looked into it that much and with some studying, I might find myself completely wrong. Certainly not saying I know anything for a fact.

So hopefully that doesn't put me into your 'crackpot conspiracy theorist group'. But if it does, oh well, you can label me however you want. It doesnt really matter to me.

Posted by: nickerickson ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:56PM

Ya'll are screwed for being here, TSCC is tracking us through this site with their FBI and CIA contacts and will come to your homes if you keep talking nonsense about TSCC and their great and spacious mall. The world is warming up because it is getting colder and the government wants to take our guns away to kill us all off. Damn people - get right!

And, if you believe that drivel, I have a bridge to sell you....

Date: January 11, 2013 03:00PM

Shhh... we all know that, but we don't want them to know that we know that.

Actually they know that we know, but we don't want them to know that we know that they know that we know.

[shifty eyes]

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 02:58PM

Morg is deadheaded sameness, dull, droning, colorless, bland.

Exmoism is energy, color, spice, excitement, hustle, bustle, and kick up your heels in every direction.

Posted by: ladell ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 04:09PM

A very TBM friend recently wondered aloud to me why so many church members believe in hokey alternative medical shams. I just smiled & shrugged.

Posted by: Susan I/S ( )
Date: January 11, 2013 04:55PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.