Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Every Member a Janitor ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 10:43PM

https://www.lds.org/callings/meetinghouse-care/reverence?lang=eng

Church hires as agency to put together faith promoting video shared in fifth Sunday meetings to encourage members to clean the chapel. The title I gave for the video comes directly from a quote two minutes in.

Just so happens last week was my turn to clean. They put you'd name and that of a few other families on the sacrament bulletin. You are assigned.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: DebbiePA ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 10:49PM

I'm so glad I quit before this was in place. Our branch used to be cleaned by a family who needed the money and they were glad to have the work and did a good job. Guess they were sh*t out of luck when every member became a janitor.

Posted by: SealofChristmas ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:20PM

DebbiePA Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm so glad I quit before this was in place. Our
> branch used to be cleaned by a family who needed
> the money and they were glad to have the work and
> did a good job. Guess they were sh*t out of luck
> when every member became a janitor.

I feel so sad when good people who need work lose their employment for no sensible reason, and having nothing to do with how good a job they did.

Posted by: Gboy ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:20PM

I've heard mormonbots "testify" that this is inspired by God and it is His way to teach us to be humble and treat every church assignment as a sacred duty.

I rolled my eyes to that.

Posted by: Dave the Atheist ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 12:37PM

Don't they also need to be humbled ?

Date: January 12, 2013 11:27PM

Perhaps make them pay for the privilege.

Posted by: nealster ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:36PM

Another blubbling adult baby! Why do they cry all the bloody time?!

Posted by: moira ( )
Date: January 12, 2013 11:46PM

Once I saw the quivering lip, I couldn't watch anymore.

Posted by: al-iced ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:24AM

"it's almost like getting a hug just walking in the building."

Direct quote from video.

Did any of you ever actually feel that way? Is this a real person saying this or is it an actor with a script?

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:34AM

I would gladly clean a toilet if I believed the church was a worth-while organization. I spent some time at a spiritual retreat and we all volunteered to do some work. Splitting wood, cleaning bathrooms, preparing meals, and whatever else needed to be done. There was no leader or guru and amazingly due to the high quality people there everything got done and worked fine. I didn't mind putting in some work because the whole experience was wonderful and it's refreshing to hear the teachers there say they don't want to be your guru.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:36AM

I knew in my gut that this came out because they are having problems getting people to clean the buildings. Geez, get a maid service already.

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:41AM

So do they have a sign up for young women to substitute? Would members contribute to their missionary funds?

Clean urinals and you can go on a mission too!!!!

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 06:31AM

why is it that I think this calls for video to be made?
a demonstration video where it shows just how effectively david bednar's hair really is as a toilet brush !

Posted by: dk ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 10:14AM

When it comes to "blessings", I'm not greedy. I'll let someone else have the tithing and toilet bowl blessings.

Posted by: toto ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 10:49AM

Before the video begins they present a nice guilt trip to start it off:

"Service and sacrifice help us gain a testimony of holy things."

"Learn why others have chosen to participate in cleaning and caring for meetinghouses and how their testimonies have grown because of it."

Ugh.

Posted by: Leah ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:13PM

Christ never said that.

If you're going the relgious route you'd think it would be more important to see what Christ said, rather than Joseph Smith.

Stupid cult, mixing Magick with Christianity.

Posted by: GBoy ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 11:03AM

Honestly, this "every member is a janitor" approach is an epic fail.

The meetinghouses I've been to lately -- not by choice, mind you -- are simply not nice and clean. The bathrooms smell.

For the bishopric or whoever they've assigned to be in charge of cleaning duties, asking members to clean the meetinghouses on Sat. is like pulling teeth.

Now, young men and young women, who usually have the extra special honor of cleaning meetinghouses, are leaving the wards/branches to go on missions.

Really, this idea is a revelation?

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 12:26PM

If I do ever have to attend an LDS ward again, would it be okay to sign up fictitious families to do the cleaning?

Posted by: cymorg ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 12:33PM

Holy janitor
Probably paid that group millions of dollars to produce crappy propaganda

Posted by: Cymorg ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 12:46PM

"everyone members needs to feel included" lol

"its hard to say you care about somebody but you don't care about their things." - lol, they care about your money so they must care about you...

i can see the day when ym and yw activities would be exclusively to clean...

"if i have the opportunity to do it, somebody doesn't" - yah keep lying to yourself

"he didn't to ask us to do this, he could have hired someone, but they would have recieved the rewards." - lol, lies

"it's a fun thing to do when we all pitch in." - eagle scout project every week!

Posted by: Brazilian Luke ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:17PM

It this were a small, poor little struggling church, living off a few donations from a basket, this would be a noble pursuit.

But we are talking about a multibillion-dollar corporation who can afford to build fancy in order to "revitalize" downtown areas of American cities, for Christ's sake ! So they have money to burn.

They manipulate sheeple into paying 10 percent of their GROSS income, fast offerings, missionary offerings, etc etc. Then they build fancy temples in every street corner (which sit empty most of the time, and when they are busy at all, they baptize and marry dead people therein - how useful).

They do have money to burn. They could easily hire janitors. But they prefer to exploit gullible members who consider a blessed privilege to be abused by greedy gurus, and have a ball cleaning toilets on a Saturday morning.

Volunteering is very noble, as long as you volunteer for someone who REALLY needs it. Otherwise, it is slavery. And there SURE is such a thing as voluntary servitude. LDS members are living proof of that.

While we are at it, why not volunteering to clean Bill Gates' toilets for free?

Posted by: Brazilian Luke ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:19PM

oops, there is a word missing:

"afford to build fancy MALLS"

Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 01:23PM

At First I couldn't believe this was 'real' I thought the OP was putting up a SPOOF.

like they say, Truth is stranger than Fiction.

Date: January 13, 2013 01:43PM

Ridiculous.
You can't expect members to give up their one day off to do janitorial work for the church when their on houses need cleaning.

People are nuts to pay 10% of their income before taxes in order to get humbled.
There are places in all major cities who provide humbling at a much lower cost - and you also get to have orgasms.

Posted by: Utah County Mom ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:06PM

Oh yeah, after working full time all week, and trying to keep my house in order, I so want to go clean the chapel. When I see one of the Twelve . . ..yeah right.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:12PM

As a reward for cleaning the toilets, you'll be further convinced that all the bullshit we feed you is true?

Posted by: anagrammy ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:19PM

Isn't humiliation part of breaking down a person in brainwashing?

Do you think for one second that the Royal Mormons are participating in this Second Anointing for Peasant Mormons? Is the bishop taking a turn cleaning the toilets? Is the Stake President? Are the wealthy in your ward taking their turn so they don't miss out on the spiritual blubbery blessings?

Hello--when you are ASSIGNED, you are not a volunteer.

I really want to know if your local royalty is taking part because last I heard, they are hiring the now-unemployed former janitors to take their family's turn.

Anagrammy

Posted by: acerbicone ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:26PM

Yep can't ya see Ann and Mitt cleaning the local chapel? They wouldn't know where to start.

Posted by: scooter ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:38PM

Miosotis, andale.

Posted by: Kaitlyn ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 02:47PM

nice extortion scheme- take 10 percent of your money and get you to work for free

Date: January 13, 2013 05:07PM

From a photo took today..confidential info altered:

Name of Unit

Building Cleaning and Set Up Schedule

Families Assigned By the Saturday Listed
Family A, B, C, D. January 12, 2013
Family E, F, G, H. January 19, 2013
Family I, J, K, L. January 26, 2013
Family M, N, O, P. February 2, 2013

They seem to assign two active and two inactive families to each week. Additional instructions to call a specific unit member if you are not able to complete your assignment or to make arrangements to pick up the keys. In my unit, we end up being assigned about once a month.

I can imagine this can be quite difficult for those who live in more rural areas outside of Utah. Don't like cleaning the church two blocks from your home in Orem or Provo? Would you be more excited if you had to drive yo Dalt Lake or Bountiful once a month to clean the church without being asked...being assigned.

Date: January 13, 2013 05:09PM

Which church narrative do you want to choose? You can only select from the following options.

A. Obedience is the first law of heaven. Go clean the church to show obedience.
B. The Lord wants to bless you and has given you an opportunity to claim those blessings by cleaning his house. Go claim your blessings!
C. If you don't show up to help, someone will have to do your part and you won't be contributing. Feel the guilt!
D. It is a sacred privilege to clean the Lord's bathrooms and windows. You should be grateful for the chance to drive an hour to scrub those toilets!

Date: January 13, 2013 06:31PM

Posted by: Sparty ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 05:40PM

I'm sorry, I really don't mean to get self-righteous, but this video really pissed me off. It was mildly entertaining (especially the muppet at the beginning with his lips quivering when he was talking about cleaning the church) until I got to the part where the woman started talking about how she feels like she did something that really mattered and made a difference. The church has some nerve trying to play it off like people who do janitorial work for a multi-billion dollar church are on the same playing field as people who do real charity work. Right before I left the church, I helped clean our ward building (and keep in mind this was 8 years ago, before cleaning God's toilets was something that you could gain a testimony of) and I didn't feel any sense of pride (other than the satisfaction of having done something properly) - in fact, I'm fairly certain that I went home feeling disgusted at how gross people in my ward seemed to be. Nothing can ever top the feeling of accomplishment and satisfaction and just overall self-worth that I have gotten from doing REAL charity work. I've volunteered at soup kitchens and boarded up abandoned houses in inner city Detroit with Mitch Albom. I'm not religious anymore by any means, but I can honestly say that doing that kind of charity work is the closest I've ever felt to God.

Date: January 13, 2013 05:44PM

Why don't you refuse?

A simple NO will do.
No further explanations need be given.

The morg will exploit members for as long they let them.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: January 13, 2013 05:51PM

That's disobedience. It puts you on some sort of non-physical list in the leader's minds. You'll never be thought of as a proper and stalwart ward member again!

Date: January 13, 2013 05:59PM

Did it once a while ago and have not since. Incredibly awkward though because the other more stalwart families text us about going and try to gilt us. Doesn't work. My TBM spouse wants me to ask them to stop putting us on the lists, but I'm afraid that might lead to a confrontation with the local leadership that would make things even more uncomfortable.

Date: January 13, 2013 06:54PM

Every Member a Janitor
Scrub Those Toilets
Get Blessing Galore
Give Ten Percent
Or Even More
Every Member a Janitor

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.