Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:27PM

He doesn't mind cleaning the church building because he was raised in a religion that built their own building.

He wants a religion and a church that asks him to do things.

He likes to help members but...

It pisses him off to be used by members (i.e. moving people who probably have other people or cash to move all the time with no help from other members.)

It pisses him off that his leaders ignore people and prefer to deal in processes.

So, I can infer that if he ever left the morg it would probably not be because he was asked to clean toilets.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 04:33PM

Maybe some day he will realize that nearly all the volunteerism in the church is only to serve the church and other Mormons, not the outside world.

Date: January 14, 2013 05:31PM

He was raised in another religion. He is a really nice guy and keeps his intolerance to himself but I think he likes being a part of a "team" and having a social group to identify with as an extended social system and he is willing to pay 10% + labor for it ta boot!

Makes me wonder if many TBMs are like him. The ones I've met before were intolerant and so I avoided them. People who take their tribe to the point of rubbing anyone the wrong way with their beliefs tend to be the backbone of orgs like the morg's.

So this guy is odd to me. But I like him.

Posted by: sistersalamander ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 06:29PM

+100

If you ask them to do anything for somebody outside the ward boundaries, they hastily say no. If it's a no-mo, jack-mo, or inactive, there has to be an agenda. They're incapable of activities like volunteering at the local homeless shelter or food bank.

Posted by: Exmogal ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 09:37PM

All the years I grew up as a TBM, our "service" activities were for members only.

But some of my TBM family have been doing things for the homeless lately, at Xmas. I've noticed they began doing it only recently. Maybe LDS Inc. encouraged them to try it ???

The rest of the year, it's members only stuff.They seem to think this token act of helping homeless makes them Saints.

Date: January 15, 2013 08:01AM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.