Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Don Bagley ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:29PM

Dateline, Citrus Heights CA, 1965:

At seven members, my family was by far largest on the block. Other families were weird; they had barbecue grills and camp trailers and boats. They had pizzas delivered and ate at Chinese and Mexican restaurants. They didn't go to church meetings three days a week. And none of the other kids on the street wore suits on Sundays.

My family had boiled meats for dinner with sugar on rice that was also boiled. We shared clothing and bedrooms. Our pets always died, frequenty from neglect or accidents. My five year old brother had his shoes stolen by a bully and was publicly beaten by our mother for allowing the theft to happen. Our father would often set up a chair in a bedroom and call me and my brothers in for our beatings, one at a time.

Church meetings were horrible, long and boring. We sat in the back pews with our scratchy cheap suits soaked in summer sweat.
For fun we walked along the local creek and played in the cemetery. Our TV was black and white, and I knew it was bad, because Dad had to strike it once in a while like he did us. "You're lucky to be born in a white Mormon family," he said. Even then, I didn't believe him.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 10:37PM

That's strange, I don't recall having a brother named Don. Where did they hide you?

Oh wait, I just realized you were in California. I was in Oregon. Amazing how two families can be so much alike.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 10:57PM by Mia.

Posted by: upsidedown ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 11:08PM

Hey Don I think you just described my family too. Nothing like being the neighborhood spaz and trying like mad not to stick out. Luckily my dad was a cool dude...it was just the ward members that sucked my mom into it that were weirdos. I always wished I could curse, drink, and surf on Sundays like my buddies. I do whatever I want now. ah, freedom.

I actually started to believe people who would tell me the same thing, " Your'e lucky to be born in a white mormon family." WTF? Why?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/14/2013 11:09PM by upsidedown.

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: January 14, 2013 11:16PM

I knew your childhood was bad, and has contributed to problems as an adult. Thank you for sharing a bit of your soul. I'm sorry you were born into a white Mormon family.

(((Hugs)))

;o)

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 12:52AM

You said a lot in three short paragraphs.

From all your posts I've read, you strike me as a very impressive person. I admire your tone and your comments. You seem to be a kind person. I almost always want to say something complimentary when I read your comments. I have on occasion.

I hope you're enjoying life! And thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 07:55AM

Don Bagley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>"You're lucky to be born in a white Mormon family," he said.

What I don't understand is in my own experiences why my family, my neighbors and everyone Mormon seemed to espouse this idea.

I know the doctrine of intelligences, per-existence and level of glory.

I get the theology just not the reality.

Lots of Mormons would mentally have better lives if they didn't think that they were specially prepared for this life and were going to be like gods in the next.

I guess their vanity trumps reality.

Posted by: fossilman ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:33AM

Wow, Citrus Heights back in the sixties was a pretty rural place. I grew up in the Arden-Arcade/Carmichael area about 5 miles south west of you. I had a similar experience growing up. We lived right around the corner from a catholic church and everyone on the street was catholic except us, and we did stick out like a sore thumb on Sundays. My parents were pretty calm though, and I grew up in a pretty quiet home, if any home with five kids can be quiet. Aside from Sundays though, we were pretty much in sinc with everyone else around us.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 10:47AM

That's what mine did as well. Then they'd pretend none of it happened, until the next time.

Posted by: munchybotaz ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:23AM

It never hurts to be reminded that my weird, white Mormon family wasn't nearly as weird as it could have been.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 11:48AM

After wallowing in the mud for all those years,

you exited the swampland called White Mormonhood and

are now one of my heroes...

Thanks for sharing,

Breedum

Posted by: iflewover ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 02:04PM

Love your wit and perspective Don. Re: your father, as they say, it takes religion to get good men to commit evil.

Posted by: deconverted2010 ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 03:52PM

That's funny, Don, because the missionaries painted a different picture of the perfect families in Utah, to us 'investigators'. The perfect mormon family they told me about had a wonderful father, righteous priesthood holder, who loved his family and his church. He led the children with the loving leadership of an honest priesthood holder. The mother was equally righteous and loving. And the children were the most blessed, not lucky, blessed for they had been chosen before the beginning of time. Oh, how many times I wished I had been born to a white and delightsome mormon family in Utah. But no, I was not lucky, I must have been less valiant in the pre-existence as I had to find the gospel and join the church, all by myself. I have no one to blame, really, well just the missionaries a bit and all those who have lied to me over the years.

Thank for you story. It shouldn't surprise me that the advertised family is so different through the eyes of the kids who have grown in it. I'm so glad you are out.

Posted by: flecher ( )
Date: January 15, 2013 05:07PM

This tale rings true.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.