Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: shakinthedust ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:08AM

Like Book of Mormon being changed from WHITE and delightsome to pure and delightsome?

I'm thinking the more time passes, the more the church seems to deny the extent of polygamy. Is this a trend?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:17AM

I kinda think that someday it will be said that it is not about polygamy, and that would mean altering it some way. Oddly enough, no one will remember that it ever read differently.

Posted by: Stray Mutt ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:23AM

They say it's about celestial marriage, and since most Mormons are too lazy to wade through the tortured syntax of that section, they just take the church's word for it. That, plus several pronouncement by the Big Cheese that the LDS church has nothing to do with polygamy.

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:22AM

It will probably be altered eventually.

The thing is the BoM is the flagship marketing piece. The D&C is the red-headed step-child. They mostly just try to ignore 132 and it seems to work for the most part. D&C 132 also has the advantage of being so convoluted that it takes a lot of effort to understand what it really means. I would almost see apologists arguing that people are just reading it "out of context" instead of changing it.

I also anticipate that far enough down the road - maybe 150 years the Mormon church will have morphed yet again into something almost completely different than it is today - the scriptures will be considered to be allegorical. I thing over time that is the directly it will have to go to remain relevant.

Posted by: lulu ( )
Date: January 17, 2013 10:34AM

An easy move would be to delete "and also the plurality of wives" from the intro to 132.

It's not part of the revelation.

And yes, I feel guilty suggesting how TSCC could better cover up its history.

https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/132?lang=eng

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2013 10:34AM by lulu.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.