Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: jackc ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 08:55PM

Scenario: my daughter left her TBM husband after several years of marriage. (Divorce is pending.) Several months after doing so she "befriended" a guy, and her scorned husband found out. He has no details other than that she has a male friend. He apparently spoke to the SP and Bishop. We have no idea what he told them.

She received a text message from the SP inviting her to meet with him and the bishop informally because of "their concern for her well-being." (This was not a summons to a DC meeting.) The closing comment in the text was that any discipline taken would be with love.

She has no intention of meeting with them, but hasn't quite reached the point in her RFM that she is ready to face possible Church discipline if things head in that direction. In particular, it would devastate her grown TBM children, whom she loves.

The question: Can someone be disciplined by the Church based solely on someone's suspicions or accusations in the absence of evidence, witness or confession?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 08:58PM

Do ferrets dangle?

Is it warmer in San Diego than in New York City as I write this?

Posted by: nope ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 08:59PM

nope, and they don't hold councils with a text. Doesn't pass the smell test

Date: January 23, 2013 09:10PM

another point is the SP doesn't hold councils on women, only MP men. Bogus claim is what I smell

Posted by: Cynthia ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:21PM

Our previous stake did hold court for a woman who was part of a group doing their own thing, prayer circles in their home wearing temple garb, teaching doctrine that was more strange than JS or BY taught themselves. My husband was stake clerk at the time and sat in on all the courts, she was the only woman involved.

Date: January 23, 2013 09:26PM

they must have needed her testimony against the men involved.. SP don't waste their time with this.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:00PM

Yes. I was.

My mother was the instigator. She didn't like my boyfriend.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 09:01PM by Mia.

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:02PM

A stake "court of love" need not present any evidence and often do not. People are excommunicated frequently on hearsay. It depends largely on what they want the outcome to be. Use Simon Southerton's excommunication as a guide.

(And Hallllooo, Scooter! How's ferrets? There's a big building right off the freeway there that houses hundreds of ferret-producing humans.)

(Ach, where's my grammar today?)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2013 09:30PM by cludgie.

Posted by: Scooter in San Diego ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:05PM

I'm in Golden Hills. Funky nabe blending into South Park. My daughter loves it here because it reminds her of Washington Heights.

Posted by: nickname ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:10PM

Short answer: Yes.

They're probably not technically supposed to, but bishops and stake presidents are given a ton of leeway. There is effectively have no oversight on stake presidents. If it comes down to a TBM's word against an inactive's, guess who they're going to believe.

Posted by: buddyjoe ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:12PM

Depend on who hears and who is saying it.
Mormon Rank systems are very obeyed.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:15PM

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: January 23, 2013 09:30PM

There is no "due process of law" in Mormonism.

It is entirely up to the particular bishop. He represents Jesus and his word is law.

It is probably unlikely that a bishop would discipline based on this but there is no guaranteed.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.