Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: southbound ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 05:02PM

Why? Beacuse nothing will make them stay away from the mormons more than the mormons zeroing in on them. Most of them know the drill. If they wanted to go to church they would. The more the mormons bother them, the more they will stay away. Perhaps if the church had any fun left in it they might come out once in awhile. The threads about the 60's and 70's being fun are right on. You can not have religion crammed down your throat every waking minute and expect people to be embrace it. Access to knowledge, thinking for your self are being employed big time nowadays. As far as people leaving, in our small rural ward in the past 5 years I can coutn at least 8 people that have left the church. Not just become inactive, but left it behind. Good people all of them. Non of them resigned, just left. Love bombing and reactivation just made their minds up more. As one of them said to me "I don't need to be assigned friends. I am quite capable of choosing my friends." I know of probaly 15-20 more in the stake that have just walked away from the church. They are plain and simply fed-up with the whole thing.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 06:27PM

I agree it's all so silly. And all spurred on by conference talks and ensign articles about that one guy that finally came back to church after 20 years of inactivity bc his home teacher kept bugging him. I'm sure it is true too. I have no doubt that one guy has been reactivated. That's probably it though.

Posted by: amos2 ( )
Date: January 26, 2013 06:49PM

"Reactivation" and "missionary work" were perrenial duds the whole time I was TBM.
Reactivations and conversions seemed to occur at a natural baseline rate, no matter what we did.
If we did nothing...there were a few reactivations and conversions.
If we did alot...there were a few reactivations and conversions.
And...same with people "falling away".
If we did nothing...a few people fell away.
If we did alot...a few people fell away.
There are natural forces affecting the dynamics of the church.
The same goes for exmos...our "efforts" aren't really affecting the church. Natural forces are. We are the RESULT of how the church is affected, not the cause.

There's religious global climate change going on.

Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 11:05AM

+1

Posted by: anon for this - ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:50AM

The ONE thing - and in fact the ONLY thing - I miss about the church is the sense of community. In my first ward, we were like an extended family. Everybody knew everybody else's business (just like in a family), everybody knew everybody else's kids (and nobody had any hang-ups about asking you "Hey, there's been an emergency, can you please come over and stay with the kids until my sister gets in from wherever?" Nobody worried about perverts.

We laughed together, we cried together, we were there for each other . . .the religion was almost like an afterthought.

If it could be like that again, I might be able to tolerate going back. Just maybe. I loved those people.

Date: January 27, 2013 11:18AM

That's the only thing that kept me sucked into it for years after I emotionally and spiritually clocked out of Mormonism.

The social side of it. I admit, I miss Mormonism but not for its doctrines.

Posted by: nancy rigdon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:30AM

I posted on another thread about how our stake is contacting less actives (we're not supposed to say inactives) in an effort to reactivate them OR get them to resign.

Either way, the the percentage of members of record who attend sacrament goes up - one of our stake goals.

I hope resignations increase from these efforts. Even though the percentage of members of record attending sacrament increases, the overall church membership will decline. Question is, will TSCC admit their membership is declining?

Posted by: Ragnar ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 09:37AM

"will TSCC admit their membership is declining?"

Never. It would contradict the "exponential growth" image they've tried to cultivate ever since Joe Smith started the whole mess. They've used this "growth" factor to be one of the 'proofs' that their 'church' is 'true.' Since there is no way to audit their numbers, LDS Corp can claim anything in regards to current membership or growth factors. And - as we've all seen - they LIE.

Date: January 27, 2013 11:22AM

Admitting they're losing numbers of any significant amount will make them appear weak. They gotta' maintain their idealogical power.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.