Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: liminal state ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:45PM

I was told that all humans biologically start off as females during the first few weeks of development. It isn't until the Y (?) chromo kicks in that nature changes its mind and makes you male. So we were all females at one time.

This got me wondering about the Book of Genesis and Adam and Eve. If you took the Bible literally, and Adam and Eve as the "first" human beings, and Adam was created first and Eve was a byproduct of him, how does it explain the first few weeks of development? Biologically, Eve was created first.

Just looking for other people's opinions.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 01/27/2013 03:03PM by liminal state.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: nancy rigdon ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 02:55PM

I learned this in an embryology class in college. When I shared it with my bishop, he said it didn't fit in to heavenly father's plan so it couldn't be true.

Whatever.

Posted by: dagny ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 03:07PM

True, the embryonic development starts out on the path to female.

Another thing to think about…

Often the people who say life begins at conception mean a zygote without the sex determined is a person. So, is a sperm cell a person? Notice often the same people who want to protect "baby no-gender-yet zygote" are the ones who are insistent on gender roles being a choice.

The Bible is clearly describing an early creation myth just so the culture had a story to explain what they didn't know.

I cannot believe in this day and age people still consult the Bible for the Bronze Age views of the world as if we have not learned anything since.

Eve came from a rib? All righty then.
The funny thing is that if maybe some day we can get cells from marrow and generate a person, the Bible folks will say, "See? The Bible was right!"

Embryology is fascinating to study- not just in humans.

Posted by: breedumyung ( )
Date: January 27, 2013 03:51PM

i don't remember shit until i had a weenie ...

sometime around age 2- 2 1/2 ...

gawd figured it was much easier to grow a weenie than to cut one off...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.