Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:05AM

Anyone else have TBM in laws constantly posting pics of the temple and saying how grateful they are for family and that families are so important blah blah...and yet, you haven't seen them in months and they live less than a mile away?

I guess family is only important after your dead (or unless they can brag about you climbing the Mormon hierarchy).

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: GNPE ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:10AM

10-4.

Bragging Rights... A HUGE part of Mormonism.

"I'm (close friends of) ( a Close relative of) X.Y who's already a Bp/SP/MP.

Grand Prize: has the ear of (x), a GA... or

IS A G.A.!

Posted by: laurel ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:26AM

Friends come and go, but families are flipping forever!

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 01:38AM

Inlaws? How about immediate family?

Families are the most important possession they've ever had. Yet, they haven't seen or talked to 5 out of 7 of their children for at least 20 or more years.

Their children have tried and tried to talk to them, make peace, and come to a common ground. They won't have it. It's their way or the Highway. They don't even talk to TBM children, so it's not all about religion. It's more about boundaries.

They are in their 80's. They will die, and nobody will be at their funeral. They've spent their lives alienating everyone that they could have been building relationships with. They love their religion more than any person that has ever come into their life, including their children and grandchildren.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 01:40AM by Mia.

Posted by: Anon for this, with tears ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:10AM

This made me pause with tears in my eyes.

We're overseas with the military, again. And inlaws get to talk to the kids, say, every 3 months or so. The kids get SO excited they actually write lists of all the things they want to tell Grandma and Grandpa.

So last time I called them, the kids started talking and talking. When all of a sudden, like 10 minutes into the phone call, my inlaws had to GET OFF THE PHONE NOW. Huh? Oh, they had to go "work at the temple".

What. The. Hell. My KIDS are not as important as the dead people!!!! Try telling that to multiple kids crying because they didn't have time to tell Grandma and Grandpa all about their latest trip, book report, Scouting advancement, and the dogs next door we babysat.

Broke my heart.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:14AM

That was a good description of my parents.

Posted by: Makurosu ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:25AM

That's exactly how it is. My parents have "family" shit all over their house, but they couldn't be bothered with any of their grandkids unless they are Mormon grandkids. I think "family" is just a code word for "bigotry."

Posted by: skippyrabbit ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 04:26PM

My olds go on about my 1 nephew who is about to become a deacon everytime I call them yet I never hear about any of my other nieces or nephews.

Posted by: skippyrabbit ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 04:24PM

ugh, my parents are exactly the same, go on about family things, have pictures all over the house of all the kids and jesus and shit yet they never ring, never visit. I didn't even get a Happy birthday from my parents when I rang on my birthday!

My dad was in my town area for a week and I never knew until I was on the phone to my mum and she told me AFTER he had gotten home. Nice visit dad.

Posted by: ldx ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 04:37PM

Thats not a mormon thing... Its a cultural thing.

Its the American standard behavior, Mormons and Chrsitians and people around the world that lives in smaller countries behave very differently, and stay in contact as much as possible.

I have been very far from my religion these last 10 years, however cant get rid of my parents, they called me so often that I finally moved my office at their basement.

Now im gaining weight thaks to my Mom's cooking skills....

thanks Parents....!

Posted by: nomo_angelchaps ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 04:37PM

You are only important when they need something from you. Gotta love em.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.