Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: dogeatdog ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:21AM

Is this a Mormon thing to say? I don't know what/where/who it comes from, but my TBM parents in law now say it all the time when they get off the phone, and when they sign cards, etc. I don't really get it and I kind of don't like it. I think it implies that love is a competition...
Do any of you say this?
Can anyone shed some light on this saying for me?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:23AM

One of my co-workers used to get into "I love you more, no, I love YOU more" phone convos with her husband. They did this every damn day, at the top of their lungs, but no one in the office was impressed. Turned out they were both having affairs.

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:37AM

"I love you MORE... but he's bigger."

Date: January 29, 2013 11:38AM

Hah! Now, that's a good one!

Date: January 29, 2013 12:03PM

Naughty!

The other guy in this case was richer (and he dumped her after the divorce was final). I have no idea which guy was bigger.

Posted by: MJ ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:41AM

So it would be something the LDS members are just now finding trendy.

Posted by: salbenson ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:46AM

I would guess this comes from the movie "Tangled".

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:49AM

mormons quoting Disney/Pixar movies....that totally makes sense.

Posted by: twojedis ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 11:49AM

It's from something before that. Sithlord and I did it when we were teenagers. We grew out of it, I guess some people don't.

Date: January 29, 2013 11:52AM

well now that you said that it makes it kind of cute dammit!

Date: January 29, 2013 11:58AM

That's what evil overlords do!

Date: January 29, 2013 12:00PM

I'm saying it to my cat now :)

Date: January 29, 2013 12:16PM

I'll go say it to my dog. Bet he wags his tail and looks excited. Of course he'd do that if I said he was a Mormon, in a really nice voice.

Posted by: jan ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 06:17PM

twojedis Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'll go say it to my dog. Bet he wags his tail and
> looks excited. Of course he'd do that if I said he
> was a Mormon, in a really nice voice.

And if you had a cookie in your hand while saying it, he'd probably do the doggie version of back flips

Posted by: WinksWinks ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:02PM

My husband does this, and he's a child of the 70s, so that makes sense.
I am barely a child of the 70s, but never heard this before him. I called him out on "competing" a few times, but he says no, it's just the truth.
Whatever.
Now I take it in the sense that he means "too", and just let it slide.

Posted by: summer kites ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:03PM

The first time I started hearing it was a few years ago when Michael Jackson died. Some TV channels had been showing a documentary about him from the early 2000's and he kept saying that to his kids. After that is when I started to hear other people say it.

Posted by: Naomi ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:14PM

My ex did that, and it seemed like it was a competitive thing. Along with deliberately doing things to test the relationship, as if to say, "Would you still love me if I did THIS? Or how about THIS? You love me anyway so I can be as annoying and selfish as I want to, right?"

Date: January 29, 2013 03:35PM

Yea, I've been wondering along these lines...

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:29PM

Love is best expressed by actions. And the actions must be unconditional, unlike moism.

Date: January 29, 2013 03:35PM

+

Date: January 29, 2013 03:38PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 03:39PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 05:50PM

For you. Everyone has a different way of "hearing" they are loved. All the actions in the world aren't going to convince someone they are loved if that person is the sort who needs hugs and kisses and sex and hand holding i.e. to be touched. And all the cuddling in the world doesn't say "I love you" to the person who actually needs to hear the words and hear them often. One of the biggest problems couples make is not finding out what expression of love makes their partner feel loved and then doing that. So the message "I love you" gets through because you are speaking the "language" the partner understands.

I'm with you - I think actions speak louder than words but DH needs lots and lots of cuddles and hugs and pats on the back as I walk past him. I could insist he look at how much I do for him and feel loved but it gets the message through better if I just hug him repeatedly throughout the day. The important thing is that he FEELS my love, not that he agrees with me on how he SHOULD feel loved. Oh, and he's learned that spending 10 minutes clearing out the dishes in the sink gets him more appreciation than telling me he thinks I'm beautiful or that he loves me more.

OP: I don't think there is anything wrong with saying "I love you more" or "I love you best" as a statement. It doesn't necessarily mean the person is competitive or immature or silly. But if that is the sort of person you are dealing with, then the words take on a loaded meaning. I think it's cute when people say that but we all know people who manipulate cute for their own ends so it really depends on the issues of the person saying it and the issues of the person hearing it.

Posted by: Raptor Jesus ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 05:58PM

Posted by: koriwhoremonger ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:40PM

Tucking them in bed at night it was a way they could prolong the process and get a few extra minutes with Dad. We took it a step further as they got a bit older. Instead of just a back and forth "Iloveyouthemost" "no,Iloveyouthemost" etc. it became "I love you so much that ______" or "you're so lovable that_____". We'd fill in the blanks with the most outrageous things our imaginations could come up with.

I actually shed a tear when I saw the same line used in Tangled. Having those words come out of the mouth of an evil mother has kind of tainted my memories.

Ah well,... what can you do.

Posted by: Rebeckah ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 04:47PM

They usually rushed right to "I love you infinity plus one!" at which point I had to pout (it's in the rules). :)

I can't imagine playing this game with another adult, though.

Posted by: Mormoney ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 12:50PM

I was intending to text my wife at the end of which I said "luv u". But instead I accidentally texted a co-worker. Immediately told her I sent it to her in error, was intended for my wife. She responded "LOL, I love you more!". She's not mormon nor does she know any mormons.

But I think it's probably just a silly phrase, which might be why she used it jokingly.

If couples actually say that to each other, I'd probably barf if I heard it

Date: January 29, 2013 01:36PM

Koriwhoremonger, sorry that a sweet memory got icked up for you. Not fun...

Mormoney, that's awesome! A few years ago I left a lengthy voicemail for a nevermo friend wherein I was extending my condolences on the death of her mother and I accidentally ended the message with, "In the name of Jesus Christ, amen." I felt terrible, but she thought it was hilarious.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:00PM

when they were small, but not since then. I did see it on another movie or TV show recently--not Tangled--but I know I heard it. For some reason Parenthood comes to mind.

Posted by: notmonotloggedin ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 02:05PM

It became ubiquitous on TBM SIL's fb page...between her and her daughters.

TBM's do a good job of "overacting" on fb. I suppose it's for everyone else's benefit

Date: January 29, 2013 03:40PM

Oh my gosh with the 'overacting'! Have I EVER noticed this on my TBM in laws pages! It's so ridiculous!
This whole "I love you more" thing has gotten awkward for me because when they skype with us, they say it and we're just like "I love you" once, and then they keep saying it, and we just kind of like sit there, and say "we love you too", and don't get into that whole thing with them.
I really do feel like it's a bit of a manipulation thing - especially when thinking about it with reference to the evil 'mother' in Tangled.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/29/2013 03:42PM by dogeatdog.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: January 29, 2013 05:31PM

The reply I like is, "I love you back." I makes me feel warm and squishy inside.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.