Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:26PM

After being on this board for just a couple of months I am starting to really understand where people are coming from with some of the angry and hurt feelings towards the church. Being on this forum really opens your eyes and I think it's nice to be involved in a community of people who are there for each other. Even if they don't have the exact same views, they all understand and do their best to help.

And even though personally I haven't been hurt to as much of an extent as some others, it is still a huge influence in my life from simply living in a town with one of the highest percentages of Mormons in Arizona (to the best of my knowledge) and it is amazing to have this support because for the longest time I almost thought me and my family were the only one's who disagreed with the church and I had no idea why I couldn't find anyone else who disagreed (I didn't understand much about forums about a year ago so I didn't think to look for one). I just think it's great to be here and be able to learn so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:52PM

Some of us escaped really intact, but others here on the board really suffered at the hands of Mormon leaders and angry Mormon relatives. We run the whole gamut. It has been an education for all of us to see how bad it can be.

The thing that I appreciate the most about RfM, incidentally, is the attitude of speaking freely and openly and even angrily, when need be. (I say that with some reservation, because there are a few troublesome members of RfM who sometimes rudely bash a poster.)

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 12:56PM

One of the reasons you have avoided the "hurt" you mention is in
your post:

"I almost thought ME AND MY FAMILY were the only ones who
disagreed with the church . . ."

For many of us WE were the only ones who disagreed with the
Church and our family members turned against us for that
reason. The so-called "bitterness" that many ex-Mormons exhibit
does not come from finding out that the Church is fake, but
happens later because of how we are treated by those closest to
us for finding the truth.

Posted by: Carrots Tomatoes and Radishes ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 01:35PM

Yes that is very true. I am glad my whole family was able to leave at the same time.

After being on here I have learned to dislike how Mormons often refer to it as the so-called "bitterness". I see it as a way of letting out emotions of anger at the lack of control of a damaging situation and people feeling hurt from being lied to. As it has been explained on here before, and I definitely agree, bitterness is not the same as anger and letting out emotions. I actually think bitterness would result from suppressing emotions.

Posted by: momjeans ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 03:57PM

I've noticed that. If anyone says anything anti-church, somebody is bound to say they're "just bitter".

Posted by: imaworkinonit ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 05:08PM

therefore, anything you have to say is just a bad attitude, and will be discounted.

Posted by: androidandy ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 01:38PM

For some of us on RfM the years add up from the shock of discovering the truth about the church.

I was shocked and stunned. I was raised in a cult by a devout TBM who was buried in her temple costume including green apron.

I'm still dealing with family and friends who are still duped and chronically unhappy.
Living 1000 miles away from family keeps me sane.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.