Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: rainwriter ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 06:35PM

DH says that the elder's quorum president wanted to meet with both of us tomorrow. What would he be doing that would involve me as well?

And why don't they ever just say what they're wanting to meet with you about? If it's not a clearly specified PPI, visiting teaching review, or something, why don't they ever say before hand so one can be mentally prepared? (Stupid question; I know that's exactly what they want to avoid.)

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: myopinion ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 07:00PM

He wants to extend a calling to your husband.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 02, 2013 07:02PM

Probably needs a new EQP counselor.

Either that, or he wants you to move a family with a lot of stuff. Do you have strong backs and a pickup truck?

Date: February 02, 2013 07:05PM

All of the things I can think of the EQP wanting to meet with someone for would have nothing to do with the wife, right?

Date: February 02, 2013 07:19PM

When they called my husband to be EQP they interviewed me also.

They wanted to know if I would support him in his calling.

I have a chronic illness, I was recovering from cancer treatments at the time. I told them I didn't mind, but if I needed him at home, I expected him to be home helping me. I told them if our lawn needed mowed, he would NOT be helping other people do yard work, or moving them. I also told them he wouldn't be doing anything that required any physical risk. Like roofing.

I couldn't take care of him if something were to happen to him. I also couldn't pick up the slack if he wasn't home. He has a very intense job, and works at least 12 hours most days. I don't think they believed me. They called him anyway.

Week 1, some guy wanted him to come and help roof a barn. No way in hell. Week 2, there were 2 families that wanted help moving. NO. They had plenty of money, and could afford to hire movers. On and on it went.

It was good for my husband. He needed to learn how to say no. It wasn't long before they called his more codependent counselor to be pres. The poor guy is so burnt out. I'm thinking he will leave the church soon.

Date: February 04, 2013 09:40AM

And the answer turned out to be...

As related to us by the EQP, they all (whomever that includes) had a meeting last week with the stake president who asked them to prayerfully choose a few families in their ward to whom they could issue the very specific challenge of reading the BoM together for 10 minutes a day for 30 days. Said SP promised the very specific blessings that if they/we do, they/we'll experience an abundance in our familial happiness and lives. We're supposed to report at the end of the 30 days what, if anything, we experienced to our home teacher who then will report it back to EQP and back to SP.

Um... yeah... Awesome of the SP to promise the same blessings that have always been promised in conjunction with scripture study. DH said we'd do it, and I told him I'd do it as long as he also can put an extra 10 minutes each day towards sitting down with our son and reading books with him, too. We'll see which one brings more happiness and abundance to our lives.

Posted by: ishmael ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:50AM

The lengths they will go to for 300 minutes of your time is shocking.

The commitment pattern strikes again.

Look at the tiny degree of control over your daily life that they have no compunction about exercising--and they expect your capitulation.

Are the SP and EQP so encrusted in their own chains that they cannot see that their request is an attempt to exert a smattering of control over another person's time? And presumably their minds as well?

How many hours of their time have they spent laying plans to hijack five hours of other people's time? Do they not see that their micromanaging reflects how much they are micromanaged and they are perpetuating a cycle of control?

Pathetic.

Posted by: karin ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 06:23PM

I think that was a great answer you gave- that dh also spend the same amount of time reading to / with your son! Perfect. Why don't you read with dh and point out all the dumb stuff...

gee, i wonder how laban didn't bleed all over nephi: must have been a miracle, eh,dh....etc.

Could be fun.

Heh, heh.. I got my non-reader husband to start reading 'the Lady's Tutor' by Robin Schone. It's about a lady who wants some sexual tutoring and boy does she get it :) may be the first book dh has wanted to read in years. Heh, heh, could also useful for some fun later on!

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:06PM

Good God. Pluck your eyes from their sockets now, before it's too late!

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:47AM

In the workplace I considered it a sign of respect when I'd get a note, "Please meet at your convenience about ______."

Instead of, "See me ASAP!"

Showing courtesy tends to inspire mutual respect, but this EQP wants to manipulate and keep his underlings guessing and unprepared.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/2013 10:48AM by Cheryl.

Posted by: stbleaving ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:49AM

That EQP needs more to do. Maybe there are one or twelve families in the ward who need help moving.

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 12:26PM

It would be interesting to report back that you'd done the assignment and now know the Church isn't true. Thank them for the blessing of honesty that you have received, sit back and watch the reaction....

Posted by: The Oncoming Storm - bc ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 12:27PM

Too bad you have to stay under the radar of not believing with BYU or you could have some fun saying - I read the BoM and now I have some questions...

Posted by: SusieQ#1 ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 12:54PM

This is rather humorous. The needs to extend special callings to get people to read the BOM!! LOL Well, sounds about right.
Most members in my view, have no clue what it says anyhow except for a few passages.

Want to find out really quick if someone read the BOM or knows anything about it?
Ask them how they liked the part about Brigham Young crossing the plains.

Or another one: Ask them about the story of the white buffalo!

hehe!!

Posted by: shannon ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 01:13PM

I can't wrap my head around the stupidity of this whole thing.

So some SP gets "inspiration" to increase the spirituality of his flock. Then some poor EQP spends umpteen hours praying, contacting "special" families, then conducting one-on-one interviews with people. All to get those poor saps to read a book that Mark Twain called "chloroform in print":

β€œAll men have heard of the Mormon Bible, but few except the "elect" have seen it, or, at least, taken the trouble to read it. I brought away a copy from Salt Lake. The book is a curiosity to me, it is such a pretentious affair, and yet so "slow," so sleepy; such an insipid mess of inspiration. It is chloroform in print. If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle β€” keeping awake while he did it was, at any rate.”
― Mark Twain

. . . "so slow, so sleepy."

Enjoy your daily naps rainwriter!

;o)

Date: February 04, 2013 01:16PM

You cut off my favorite part of the quote:

"... If Joseph Smith composed this book, the act was a miracle--keeping awake while he did it was, at any rate. If he, according to tradition, merely translated it from certain ancient and mysteriously-engraved plates of copper, which he declares he
found under a stone, in an out-of-the-way locality, the work of
translating was equally a miracle, for the same reason. "

The whole thing - well worth the read for those who haven't seen it:
http://www.mtwain.com/Roughing_It/17.html

Posted by: Joycee ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:45PM

Mark Twain is one of my most favorite people to have ever walked on this earth. I find more inspiration from him and his writings than I ever did from anything Mormon. I loved him even when I was TBM, in spite of the fact he said Mormon women were ugly, lol.

Posted by: jong1064 ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 02:46AM

Me, too! I love him!

Date: February 04, 2013 06:04PM

It'll be interesting to see how it plays out and if my hubby really does want to follow through with it or not. When he accepted, he didn't have his "I feel spiritually moved" face on but something that I don't think I've seen before, closer to his "These are the words that should be coming out of my mouth," face, so we'll see!

Date: February 04, 2013 10:28PM

If your hubby follows through you may find this "study guide" I've been working on interesting:
http://www.mormonprobe.com/bomcommentary.docx

Date: February 04, 2013 06:12PM

It would be more interesting to read the original uncut version. Bad grammar hillbilly talk and all.

You will feel more enlightened, knowing what they've cut out of the most perfect book on earth.

Posted by: donbagley ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:51PM

I have a copy of the first edition BoM (cheap photocopy so I can annotize). It is wildly hilarious.

Phrases: neither durst they lay their hands upon me

He sent firy (sic) flying serpents among them

Which was hard to be understood

And it came to pass in the which rebellion

Posted by: cludgie ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 09:07PM

Isn't the tendency of such actions to drive people away rather than spark "a testimony?"

Posted by: Rubicon ( )
Date: February 04, 2013 10:58PM

He probably wants you guys to join the swingers club he belongs to.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:54AM

The stake president should be tried for torture. I would rather have a simple headache for a month than be forced to read the BoM. I would simply have told them that I did read it and had no reason to read it again other than to flagellate myself.

Posted by: popeyes ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 08:58AM

Ask him if you can read the New Testament instead.

Date: February 05, 2013 10:00AM

But, the _blessings_ come from the BoM because it's the _inspired_ one. ;)

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.