Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:24AM

I'll start:

1. Be on time. Say when you'll arrive for dinner and do what you say.

2. Respect the word no. If someone tells you no, take it seriously.

What else to mishies need to know about common good manners?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: ballzac ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 07:27AM

No, none of my neighbors want you harassing them, so quit asking every time my wife is nice enough to cook you dinner. Seriously, even when I was TBM I always cringed when they asked if we could introduce them to any of our neighbors that "might be interested" as they always said.

Posted by: Ovaltine Jenkins ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:48AM

This!! When I was in high school my dad was the ward mishion leader so we had the mishinaries over for dinner about once a week. They always asked if I had any friends who wanted to hear the discussions. Every. Single. Time. 90% of my friends are hardcore Christians, the others were already Mormon. I told them no everytime & they always seemed confused & dissapointed in me. You mean you don't have ANY friends who want to hear the gospel?! Uhh no guys my friends all think being a Mormon is the worst & if I think it sucks why would I put them through it?

Posted by: Ovaltine Jenkins ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 10:51AM

Ughh *mission and *missionaries. I swear I can spell.

Date: February 05, 2013 01:14PM

Posted by: CA girl ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 12:51PM

Be respectful - this means remember you are a teenager, talking to an adult who has beliefs and values that are every bit as important to them as yours are to you. You may believe you represent God but you need to remember you are NOT actually God and adjust your attitude and tone of voice accordingly.

Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:05PM

3. Call before going to visit members

Last night I first heard a knock and then the doorbell. I thought it might have been the neighbors - nope misshies.

I had turned on the porch light and told my wife her friends were here.

She was mad. She was nice to them but explained that we were winding down for the evening and the kids were getting ready for bed. They persisted in pumping her for name and eventually left.

This morning my wife told me it would be nice if I drove our eldest to early morning seminary. I said, "I've allowed my children to be completely endoctrinated into Mormonism, and you want me to support it when I don't want them endoctrinated into it?"

Ended the conversation. But she left for work happy with me. Sometimes I feel like a motherless child but at least not a wifeless husband...

Date: February 05, 2013 01:16PM

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:20PM

R E S P C T, means you won't have anything to do while on your mission. Seriously respect means not sending out 20 year old kids to tell everyone they can that their life is horrible and they need to be saved.

Posted by: kori ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:40PM

I would add:

Lesson on acne control
Lesson on when it is NOT appropriate to adjust your balls, in public
Lesson on not wearing ironic ties and suits (70's plaid) and then expect people to take you seriously
Lesson on not telling grown men what to do with their money
Lesson on not wrestling around with 13 year old girls because you have al little sister back home
Lesson on not being condescending and judgmental
Lesson on house cleaning
Lesson on not pontificating about your extensive life experience that has brought you to your deep rooted positions in life
Lesson on not being naked or in your lingerie (mesh garments) in front of your companion for hours.
Lesson for the sisters on how to deal with getting huge breast while you gain 50 lbs and getting the appropriate bra for those bad girls (avoiding quadraboob)
Lesson: How to not overstay after dinner

Posted by: jacob ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:45PM

You mean I should pick my nose and scratch my crotch in public. Why didn't my mom teach me?

Funny, you said quadraboob.

Posted by: QWE ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 01:55PM

I totally agree with this thread. One of the biggest problems with a lot of mormons is that they don't seem to know what "no" means, especially missionaries.

Another thing is that they need to be better trained to know when to stop a conversation. A lot of people probably don't have a problem with strangers knocking on their door, but when it's missionaries, and they stand there for ages, repeating the same thing over and over and refusing to leave, it gets very annoying.

Posted by: mysid ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 02:42PM

"when it's missionaries, and they stand there for ages...refusing to leave, it gets very annoying"

I doubt they would stand there for ages if you closed the door in their faces. I find that a simple, "No thanks," and a closed door sends them away quite effectively.

Posted by: Mia ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 02:51PM

When I ask you to NOT go to my non member next door neighbors house, DON'T do it.

They are our friends. I would like to keep it that way. I don't want them thinking I sent you over to talk to them.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 05, 2013 03:04PM

Never pound on someone's door. Never! If a people don't want to respond to a regular knock or ring of the bell, that means that they don't want to talk to you. Leave them be.

Likewise, do not go around the house to peer in windows or to knock on the back door. Allow people their privacy.

You do not have a good enough reason to call people or to text them every.single.day. I don't care what your MP says. Do not harass or pester your investigators.

Date: February 05, 2013 05:19PM

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.