Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: morgana ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 05:06PM

Someday I'll write the story of my life starting with my infant Presbyterian baptism, and then I'll make it interesting from there. I'll leave out the places where Mormonism came in and stunted my intellectual growth. I'll write that my parents encouraged us from a young age to attain a college degree regardless of gender, and not let anything get in the way. Desserts would never have been a reward for showing up to an event, and I would have learned to drink tea rather than soda. I would have been comfortable with my body rather than self conscious. Instead of the weekly round of phone calls to find a ride to mutual, I'll put down that I took music lessons on Wednesdays. And I put a considerable time into practicing my instrument. Yet I still found time to get leadership experience from Student Council, and spent my Sundays doing community service with Key Club. I'll write about the fun I had in college, the parties, the sorority sisters--rather than admit that I spent time in the Institute Director's office after religion class, seeking help in feeling the spirit, but feeling compelled to answer his very specific questions about my love life with my boyfriend, allowing him to suggest to me that masturbating would be the lesser sin. I'll write about my travels abroad that I never actually took because it wasn't safe for a lovely young adult woman to travel without a chaperone. And then I'll write about a beautiful civil ceremony with the love of my dreams in a vinyard surrounded by all my friends, all of them nomos because the mormon church simply never existed in the first place.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Paint ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 05:11PM

Loved how you wrote this. I enjoyed reading it.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:03PM

Thanks. The world is so much more beautiful and interesting when you're actually in it. I hope my daughters will tell such a story--unedited.

After the vinyard wedding I will just skip to the best part: Here and Now. The Happily Ever after I used to think I was going to have to wait until eternity for.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:07PM

You and your lover could be the owners of Nomo Winery and my best friend who never played mind games or or ncmo'd my boyfriend, and you certainly never left raw cookie dough on my doorstep. (for want2bx)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 06:09PM by morgana.

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 10:16PM

Love this.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to live vicariously through my daughter if/when she gets married. I'm so glad she won't be raised in TSCC.

Husband and I are planning on renewing our vows in the next few years, somewhere tropical, on a beach, with champagne toasts. I'm hoping it will erase the wacky images of the baker's hat, etc, and the horrible vows from the first go.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2013 10:17PM by daydream.

Posted by: daydream ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 10:17PM

Posted by: want2bx ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 05:46PM

Could you please include me in your edited life story? Maybe I could be your cool sorority sister, your fun travelling companion, or your nomo bridesmaid.

Date: February 06, 2013 06:08PM

oops--the message above this one was written for you, want2bx.

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 07:47PM

Much as my life started out as an infant in the Presbyterian Church. Even in my LDS life, I did not change or confirm to TSCC.

Posted by: thedesertrat1 ( )
Date: February 06, 2013 07:51PM

A M E N !!!!!

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.