Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 08:33PM

I mean what if a dead person was waiting and waiting and waiting and then some Mormon helped him out of spirit prison only for this person to be an a-hole 18 year old MTC missy and as he is walking back from the Provo Temple tells his comp not only the name of the dude he "worked" for but this dude's "New Name"?

This poor dead dude might not make it out of spirit prison? Like,
"Dude, where's my salvation"???

It isn't like he was well endowed. I think you have to actually be living for that...

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: February 13, 2013 08:34PM

Abraham is my "New Name" Lucifer if you are reading RfM.

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 09:15PM

What fun would silly fake rituals be without lots of special secrets?? Remember those clubs kids used to form at ages 8-12?

Date: February 14, 2013 12:32PM

I spearheaded the creation of a "Grease" the movie fan club at age 8 yet I had yet to see it. My classmates wanted to talk about it. We didn't have new names just the ones from the movie.

I saw it eventually as a teen on VHS and loved it.

Posted by: schmendrick ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 07:43AM

Just memorize a few of the names. When you get there, married or not, call a few. Learning 3 names gets you ~10% of all the [temple worthy LDS] women in the world! Pick a few of the hot ones and move on.

Posted by: absentminded ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:51PM

I think it was planned that way to Joseph and Brigham could call them up and they died by guessing a list of names. With eternity at hand, you could never have enough women or you might get bored! It could be an orgy like that anti-mormon cartoon...

Posted by: JoD3:360 ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 10:12PM

The need for a new name is for the same reason as the garments, and that is to insure against non-polygamists in Nauvoo.
Revealing your new name could give an enemy of the church(A.K.A. righteous person) access to the top-secret and illegal activities and blow the cover.

Posted by: albertasaurus ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 10:15PM

I don't know but how about a shout-out from all you Timothy's out there!

Posted by: snowball ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 01:17PM

I'm a Timothy.

We must have gone on Timothy day. And to think I used to believe that this "new name" was something inspired.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 10:55PM

it would be too mind-bending. Okay, I'm Lucy, my ex is Abinidi--and how many men are going to be calling out for Lucy?

It is as twisted as being Gods and being together as a family. Which family? His, mine?

Lucy was a real downer for me--I knew immediately God didn't KNOW ME very well if he named me Lucy. It was the ONE really important thing I was looking forward to in the temple. It was enough it was a disappointment--then to find out thousands have that same name.

Date: February 14, 2013 12:34PM

Said like Ricky Ricardo.

Posted by: vulcanrider ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:22PM

Now that you've told us, you know what you're going to hear at the veil, right?

LUUCCCYY! CHU GOT SOME SPLAININ TO DO!

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:42PM

I was never a huge Lucy fan--she's okay.

My ex--at the veil--said, 'WHAT?!?!?' He couldn't believe what he was hearing. Abinidi--okay. Lucy????

Posted by: baura ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 11:32PM

It's a form of control.

We gave you some information. You can't tell ANYONE about this
information. Not your wife, not your kids, not your parents--
NOBODY.

Now if you don't tell anyone this information that means you
tacitly agree that these people have real power over your
brain. That means that they are FIRST in your life. Before
your wife, before your parents, before your children, before your
job--FIRST.

They own you.

How many times as a TBM did you hear some woman stand up in
church F&T meeting (open-mike day at the ward improv) and say
how THANKFUL they were that their husband put the gospel first
and THEN the family second? It works.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/13/2013 11:33PM by baura.

Posted by: kolobian ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:00PM

Posted by: Observer ( )
Date: February 13, 2013 11:50PM

TIP: When you get your endowment, all receive the samen name in a given day. So there are two new names each day depending also on wich temple you receive it. So all of my buddies goi g to the temple the same day with me are called the same as me.
When someone forgets his or her name, just have to call the temple and provide real name and they will find the date for the endowment so they find your name.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 12:38AM

Weren't the new names, so Joseph Smith would have code names he could use when giving "revelations" about polygamist issues to all his fellow polygamist.

Posted by: lucky ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:20AM

OK,
you really do get it, MORmONISM is the ultimate mockery of christianity, and christianity is a very bad joke! Thank you Joseph Smith!

Posted by: submissionary ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 08:10AM

All that I know is this: My temple name has given my life a whole new meaning. Now, whenever I watch the Star Wars trilogy (4-6, not the crappy 1-3) and Darth Vader says "No, I am your father" and whimpy Luke says "Noooooooo!" - this Luke right here says "Damn straight!"

Posted by: Anonymous User ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 08:18AM

From lds.org

SECRET COMBINATIONS
See also Cain; Gadianton Robbers.
An organization of people bound together by oaths to carry out the evil purposes of the group.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 08:40AM

In Mormonism, even your church name is chosen for you. Why can't they let members pick from an approved list? A name that you have chosen for yourself and suits you is far more meaningful.

Posted by: davidlkent ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 12:54PM

Might be interesting to collect several of these names to see what the scope is. Seems to be both biblical and BOM
names and family of JS and bigwigs in the Morg. And that leads to some interesting speculation.... Has Boyd made the cut yet? And how about a few esoteric German or Indonesian or Samoan nicknames as well? Can you imagine a convert from Judaism receiving a new name of Heber or Judas? Pontius or Caligula? Barbarella or Jenna? No, no, no, better stick with Agatha and Penelope (no offense to any Aggies or Pennys out there).

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:09PM

You can see a list of names at the Temple Name Oracle site.

http://www.fullerconsideration.com/templenameoracle.php

There are also frequent "temple name shoutouts" on this message board.

Posted by: drilldoc ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 12:55PM

This is exactly why mormons aren't considered christian - it places your salvation and your dead relatives' and family's salvation on YOU! You are pre-exalted beings and god is reduced to a glorified man. This is considered anti-christian.

Posted by: Tupperwhere ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:01PM

the "endowment" just took on a whole new meaning for me. How did I not see that before? lol

Posted by: Luis C. Ferr ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:29PM

Maybe it has to do with the idea of a "true name" as used in kabbalism that would have power over the named person?

Posted by: flyboy21 ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 01:35PM

My name has the word "moron" in it so I can tell you, it's not too flattering to reveal. On the other hand, it is also the capital city of a beautiful but impoverished island nation in the Indian Ocean.

Posted by: pollythinks ( )
Date: February 14, 2013 02:13PM

As it would appear, J.S. read about the "new name" in the Old Testiment. At that Biblical time, God's chosen people were referred to as Isralites, and the writer was informing this group that they would be known by a new name after the promised Savior came.

The N.T. provides the new name by which the people of God would be known, which is "Christians".

As it seems--and as often happened--J.S. plagiarized a Biblical theme and converted it, “made it his own”, for his own purposes.

(Remember when the people asked John the Baptist if he was the promised prophet to come, and John answered, “He that cometh after me is mightier than I, Whose shoes I am not worthy to bear: he shall baptize you with the Holy Ghost, and with fire”, Matt.3:11.)

The above is the short version of a technical version I posted some time ago (May 25, 2011?) (See below).

---

The ‘new name’ by which Zion would be known was to come from the seed of Hephazibah (mother of Manasseh (Isa.62:2,4), wife of Hezekiah). (Levi--the priestly line--came from Manasseh, as did Jesus.)

The scriptures predicted the name/titles by which the future people of God would be called, i.e., “they shall call them ‘The holy people, The redeemed of the LORD’” (Isa.62:12). (see also Isa 62:2,4,12; Ex. 2kings.21:1). “Afterward you will be called the City of Righteousness, the Faithful City” (Jerusalem: City of righteousness, Isa.1:26; “Salem” means “perfect peace”.)

Who are the N.T. “holy” people, the “redeemed of the LORD”? The answer, according to the N.T., is Christians. Therefore, as it appears, the new name by which the people of the LORD were to be called is “Christian”. (See NIVB, Isa.62.2 note, “new name. To reflect a new status (vv.4,12; see also 1:26,60:14; Gen. 32:28 and notes)”.)

The new name “Christian”, representing the LORD’s “redeemed” (Christian’s having been redeemed), certainly “reflects a new status” of the Lord’s people of Zion (in O.T. days, Isa.1:26). Who are the “holy” people, the “redeemed of the LORD”? Christians. Hence, as it appears, the new name by which the people of the LORD were to be called, is “Christian”. (See New International Bible, IVB, Isa.62.2 note, “new name. To reflect a new status (vv.4,12; see also 1:26,60:14; and Gen. 32:28 and notes)”.) The new name, “Christian”, as the LORD’s redeemed, certainly “reflects a new status” of the Lord’s people since the O.T. days of “The House of Israel”.

.Zion (Sion):
Figuratively of:
. Israel as a people of God, (2Kin.19:21).
. God’s spiritual kingdom, (Ps.125:1).
. Eternal city, (Heb.12:22,28).
. Heaven, (Rev.14:1), “a [the]* Lamb stood on the mount Sion, and with Him an hundred forty and four thousand, having [His name and]* His Father’s name written in [upon]* their foreheads”. *(The texts read “His name and His Father’s name” (CB note, Rev.14:1.)

.Salem: “perfect peace”, Jerusalem’s original name. Gen. 14:18. Used poetically, Ps.76:2.

.Jerusalem: City of righteousness (Is.1:26).
City of truth (Zech.8:3).
City of the great King (Ps.48:2).
City of God (Ps.46:4).
City of David (2Sam.5:6,7).
City of Judah (2Chr.25:28).
Zion (Ps. 48:12).
Holy City (Matt.4:5).
Faithful city (Is. 1:21,26).
Jebusi (Josh.18:28).

Posted by: Eastbourne ( )
Date: February 15, 2013 12:09AM

Jesus' atonement does not apply to those who entered the "higher/superior" order of true Christianity - Temple-Mormonism, at least that's what Smith wanted his followers to believe.

Temple attendees could demonstrate (to themselves and their Mormon peers) that they no longer needed Christ's atonement - they would suffer for their own sins. (Super, superior Mormons later wanted their own, differentiating ceremony, and so they came up with the "Calling and Election Made Sure" endowment.

Revealing the new name would therefore be a non-repentable sin.

Smith knew there would be Mormon traitors, and the new name warning was a way to keep believers in line. Who would want to pay for their own sins?

It was this type of doctrine creation that lead Mormonism into obsessive-compulsive obedience, which put it (obedience) above reason. This was how polygamy, Mountain Meadows, Coffee restriction became legitimate among Mormons.

This was also how many Mormons - including me - become ExMormons.

Date: February 15, 2013 12:43PM

I'm totally wanting to read some of that history. I've read all the accounts I could find but no one puts it together like this...

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.