Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 12:49AM

The British press is reporting today that the most senior Catholic Cardinal in the UK, Keith O'Brien, is being accused of inappropriate conduct towards four young priests. This is the same cardinal that opposes gay marriage and has recently called gay people unatural and deviants. He is about to leave for Rome where he will have a vote on the new Pope, where another scandal is about to break regarding the blackmail of gay clergy within the vatican. The Cardinal was named Bigot of the Year by Stonewall.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: charles, buddhist punk ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 01:35AM

The adage it soooo true: the louder the protest, the more guilty the person is of that which is protested.

Posted by: flyinghigh ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 04:56PM

The UK's most senior Cardinal, Keith O'Brien fails to show for Mass at Edinburgh Cathedral today, while the Pope is considering the allegations of sexual impropriety made by the four priests. Cardinal O'Brien has been very aggressive and indeed hostile in both his language and actions against Same Sex Marriage, which all political parties in the Scottish Parliament are currently proposing and wish to make law.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/feb/23/cardinal-keith-o-brien-accused-inappropriate

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 05:31PM

I read that the Pope Ratzinger is stepping down. Speculation is based on the deterioration of Catholicism in Europe, possibly due to pedophile problems which he can't seem to curb.
I hope Ratzinger burns in hades with Smith.
As a Cardinal, Ratzinger managed to bypass legal matters when it came to priest pedophile trials and defrocking. He opted to isolate them in small communities as their punishment.
Ugly stuff. I can't imagine what contribution of worth this has had on society.

Posted by: Flyinghigh ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 06:35AM

News is breaking in the British media that the UK Cardinal involved in alleged sexual contact with four young priests has just resigned from his post. The Pope is expected to accept his resignation.
More revelations to come?
I bet he regrets the late night drinking sessions and the time spent on his knees - in prayer!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21572724

Posted by: rationalguy ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:23AM

It seems that any cleric or preacher of any religion who seems particularly outspoken against gays turns out to be hiding some latent gayness or sexual kinkiness of his own! Not just religious leaders, either. Politicians too. Larry Craig comes to mind.. Idaho senator who used to speak out against gay rights, then was caught in an airport bathroom trying to solicit gay sex himself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 11:26AM by rationalguy.

Posted by: MyTempleNameIsJoan ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:42PM

rationalguy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It seems that any cleric or preacher of any
> religion who seems particularly outspoken against
> gays turns out to be hiding some latent gayness or
> sexual kinkiness of his own! Not just religious
> leaders, either. Politicians too. Larry Craig
> comes to mind.. Idaho senator who used to speak
> out against gay rights, then was caught in an
> airport bathroom trying to solicit gay sex
> himself.

I'm late in response, but this is my observation as well.
Granted my observation is rather limited.

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 11:28AM

From what I saw on the BBC America news this morning, the cardinal won't be going to the enclave in March so the UK won't be represented when a new pope is chosen.

Posted by: Gaz ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 03:44PM

...let the gays marry, and the seminaries dry up. No more play for his eminence.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.