Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:34PM

New article dated 2/4/12 found here: http://mormon-chronicles.blogspot.com/2012/02/pilot-program-for-rescue.html

Your thoughts?

Excerpt:
What will The Rescue entail?
One person via a private Mormon Facebook group claimed that he learned per his stake being part of the pilot for this program that The Rescue would involve the following steps:

1. The Ward Council nominates 15 names of less-active/inactive members. These names come from the various quorums and auxiliaries
2. Those 15 names go onto a Rescue list
3. Each of those 15 people are assigned an active member, usually from the Ward Council, but not necessarily
4. The assigned member contacts the inactive member and asks if they are open to a visit
5. The assigned member visits the inactive member.
6. Depending on how the mood is, the assigned member will either a) just have a pleasant visit and ask to return or b) invite the inactive member to meet with the missionaries to re-take the discussions.
7. The assigned member returns and reports to the Ward Council. If everything went swimmingly (that is, the inactive member has agreed to take the discussions or has invited the active member for another visit) then that inactive member will stay on the Rescue list
8. If things did not go swimmingly, that is, the inactive member said get lost or said they would not take the missionary discussions, they are dropped from the Rescue list and replaced with a fresh inactive member.
If the inactive member progresses to the missionary discussions, the missionaries visit and challenge the member to do all the stuff they'd normally challenge investigators to do, minus baptism.
In some cases, the bishop may visit the inactive member instead of the missionaries and challenge the inactive member to live their covenants and return to the temple.
If the inactive says no, they are taken off the Rescue list, but they are not free and clear. Eventually, they will end up back on the Rescue list, and the cycle will continue.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: elcid ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:45PM

Take the missionary discussions? What good is that going to do for someone who has been active for decades?

Good God almighty!

Here's a suggestion...

Provide REAL answers to the questions!

Posted by: John_Lyle ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:31PM

Then they would know they would never get anyone to come back...

Posted by: imalive ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:46PM

Absolute sheer stupidity and a total waste of time and effort.

Posted by: myselfagain ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:05PM

imalive Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Absolute sheer stupidity and a total waste of time
> and effort.

But isn't that true of SO MUCH in tscc? Busywork...it's all busywork.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:51PM

I've been out of TSCC for over 35 years and now all of a sudden they are love bombing me. They still use my "old" last name that I haven't used in 30 years. Letters from the RS. A couple of ladies came by with cookies. I ran them off saying if the cookies didn't contain marijuana I didn't want them. They gave me a horrified look and beat a hasty retreat. Wonder what they'll report. Next time the hose comes out, thanks Cheryl. I threatened them before.

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:42PM

Maybe that will qualify as "didn't go well" and you'll be take off the list. Have you thought about resignation?

Posted by: Quoth the Raven "Nevermo" ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 11:10PM

LCMc Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
Next time the hose comes out, thanks
> Cheryl.

Sorry, but I had a S&M vision of a leather outfit and a rubber hose. I realize you meant a garden hose and water, but the S&M response might be more fun.

Posted by: Cheryl ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:35AM

This makes mormons look so stupid!

Here's my message to mormons:

"You look desparate and crazy when you "lovebomb" private people in their homes who obviously want to be left alone. These people have a right to run trespassers like you off their property with foul words, raised fingers, a family pack of dogs, or a bucket of ice water."

They better stay away from my door or they'll end up soaking wet and they will be booked on harassment and trespassing charges.

Anyone who wants to interact with random mormons for whatever reasons doean't have to wait and hope they'll show up unannounced. We all know how to find wardhouses and mishie referrals if we want morgbots in our lives.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:51PM

It sounds like that if you have not had your name removed, now might be a good time to do so.

Posted by: LCMc ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 12:54PM

I removed my name many years ago along with my sons. They are after him too. This was way before computers. I kept a copy of what I sent so maybe I'll put that next to the door for the next time. I've been thinking about contacting the Bishop and telling him I'll call the police if he doesn't stop. I feel like I'm being stalked.

Posted by: forbiddencokedrinker ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:32PM

You might need to send them an updated letter. Remember, the church is composed of a bunch of unpaid, untrained amateurs doing as much as the work as possible, so that the Morg can enjoy the benefits of free slave labor.

Posted by: 2thdoc ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:02PM

I just feel absolute pity for those poor TBM's thinking that they're involved in something great and important as they carry out another useless, wasteful 'program'.

Posted by: Finally Free! ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:04PM

I don't know if it was part of a formal "rescue" program, but this very thing happened to my wife and me while we were inactive a several years ago.

Someone visited us or we just had the missionaries over, I can't remember which, I do think there was a "concerned member friend" involved... They offered to give us the discussions again and we said sure (I don't remember our state of mind at the time, but we weren't nearly as "out" as we were several years later).

I remember it being very awkward, even then. None of the commitments that they were trained to make were applicable. We were already members, had already read the BOM and had some tenuous feelings about it (brainwashing wasn't worn off at that point, obviously, otherwise we wouldn't have agreed to the discussions) and they couldn't commit us to Baptism.

I don't think we ended up finishing the discussions. I vaguely remember that I knew the discussions better than they did and could answer more questions than they could. I had to be able to, I went on a mission to Korea. There I had to "defend" the church against people who weren't christian and usually weren't familiar with a good portion of western religion.

In all it didn't do us any good, we might have attended once or twice while they were giving us the "inactive" version of the discussions, but that was it. I do remember dreading them coming over with their lesson, I would have much rather just had a pleasant dinner and conversation.

I will say that in the time leading up to our resignation last year, things were starting to get a bit desperate on the part of the church. The missionaries stopped by a couple of times and we received a few cookie plates. This after years of barely even noticing that we were in a ward's boundaries.

Posted by: Suckafoo ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:07PM

Yeah, I don't know if there is a formal rescue plan either; this is off someone's blog and heresay, so it has to be taken for what it's worth. Still somewhat interesting if this is actually something official being carried out...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 01:07PM by suckafoo.

Posted by: searching27 ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:11PM

I am a paragraph or so into the article.... since when does the Mormon church refer to their Bishops as Pastors?????????????

And... why can't they just leave these people alone? If they wanted to be at church they would..... why are they so blind to normal human behavior and cues???? WHY OH WHY?

I hope this doesn't give my family the "permission" they feel they need from the lard to come and try to talk us into joining the church again....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 01:14PM by searching27.

Posted by: Not logged in ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:23PM

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:53AM

Of course, the fact that every pastor of a REAL Christian church has had years of serious Bible study and other training first, while a Mormon bishop has had zilch, does not stop Mormon leaders from deliberately mis-using the term "pastor" in order to appear more mainstream.

Posted by: WiserWomanNow ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 11:00AM

Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...Rescue the inactives!. ..(nothing changes)...

Posted by: sonoma ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:18PM

The great news is there are probably three times as many inactive Mormons as there are active Mormons, so this latest futile and inane "inspired program" will keep Morg Whacko's busy for a good long while before they realize that it's just another obnoxious WASTE OF TIME. And like ALL the other methods the Cult uses to increase their revenue streams, it will simply further alienate all sensible and sane people.

In the Information Age the only way to grow this absurd cult is through their extensive breeding program, which, by the way, is also in decline.

Posted by: sam ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:18PM

Project Rescue is not new. When I was a Bishop and EQP, we did this a couple of times (it was either Stake or Area motivated). It is called different things and the approach is sometimes different, but people are identified by the Ward Council, someone is assigned to visit and then they are to return and report. This will never end

Posted by: rutabaga ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 01:24PM

Its happening in our stake. Called "Focus on Fifteen"

Posted by: caedmon ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:45PM

Project Rescue, Focus on Fifteen, OR

AIR - Annoy the Inactives into Resigning.

Posted by: grubbygert ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:11PM

this is so going to blow-up in their faces

my TBM family all know to not talk church around me - because i can talk circles around them

the local ward, however, has no clue...

if they send a pair of missionaries to 'rescue' me i'm going to be very, very tempted to (politely, of course!) give 'em both barrels!

RMs talk about how hard it is to talk to people that really know their bible - well, what about talking to people that really know their BoM, D&C, PoGP, and church history...

Posted by: thingsithink ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 08:09AM

I like. This could drag more people out of the church. Members go talk to people like you, learn a few things, start asking their own questions... Sounds like a loser.

Posted by: CL2 ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 02:15PM

I'm resigned. My TBM daughter has a very good older lady friend in this ward--who my ex and I knew very well when we were active. My daughter and her bike ride, go to exercise classes, movies, etc., and so out of the blue Sunday, my daughter says, "Would you let ______ be your VT? Not to bring you back into the church or anything, but just to come by and visit because I think she'd be a good friend."

I said, "No thanks."

So--that is why that happened . . .

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2012 02:15PM by cl2.

Posted by: rocky ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:29PM

Pilot program? Yeah, we'll see how that one works out. Probably as productive as the 3 fold mission crap we used to do in elders quorum. Do they even still do that?

Posted by: JoD3;360 ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:39PM

Recapture is the correct word.

Posted by: Glo ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 03:41PM

Most inactives won't even let the "rescuers" come over for that first visit.
This program will go nowhere fast.

We had a message on our machine from some new bishop at the end of January, wanting to come over.
LOL. What an idiot, seems he assigned himself to be our new home teacher.

The fact that we haven't been to church in years did not give him an idea we aren't interested?

We never acknowledged his call.

Posted by: Stunted ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 04:05PM

I'd love to have the missionaries come and sit in my home and give me the discussions. I'd insist that my family sit in as well. I'll keep a smile on my face and keep my voice freindly and non threatening but I'll ask all the questions they don't want to answer. I'll also ask the question they can't answer. If I play it right I might get three or four visits out of it and my kids will get to see first hand how to deal with a bucket load of horse S4it.

Posted by: Provo Girl ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 05:31PM

Guys, doesn't this sound like a method of filtering sales leads? Sure fits the corporate/MLM profile of the Morg, doesn't it?!

Posted by: specialkay ( )
Date: February 09, 2012 05:57PM

This happened to me and my husband last year... The bishop knew that we wouldn't respond well with the missionaries showing up at our door. So, they convince our BIL to ask us to have a "meeting" with him. He says "I need to come over to your house and have an interview with you." WTH?! He just invites himself over to our house? He said he wanted to talk about our lives... Then he mentioned he had been assigned to have this interview. We ignored him at first but he just kept asking. The good thing is my husband does not care for this BIL so of course he says no with a few choice words... Needless to say we haven't been asked to have an "interview" again.

Posted by: happyhollyhomemaker ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 02:39AM

Guess i'll be moving the pit bull to the front yard then...

Posted by: ANONSKI21 ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:00AM

They do this stuff every year, and every year it fizzles out and dies.

Posted by: goldenrule ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 03:39AM

Isn't this already done? I mean I pretty much know when I've been discussed in ward council because random people from church start showing up for awhile. Then stop. Then a few months later same thing...

Reactivation efforts are always an epic fail because they make all these dumb ass assumptions about why people leave and never address the REAL reasons/problems.

Posted by: mrtranquility ( )
Date: February 10, 2012 10:58AM

In short it's just busy work. Cults keep their members busy to keep them from straying. Reactivation programs come and go perpetually and none of them work. They get up a head of steam and many participate one or twice under pressure and then collective amnesia takes over until the next iteration.

As a TBM my main impression of visiting "inactives" was that they didn't want to be bothered. I was more than happy to oblige.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/10/2012 11:03AM by mrtranquility.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed. Please start another thread and continue the conversation.