Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: judyblue ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 02:11PM

So a nevermo friend of mine who lives in Ireland and has absolutely NO ties to or understanding of TSCC posted this link today:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865574236/Dumbing-down-Dad-How-media-present-husbands-fathers-as-useless.html

If you don't want to read the whole thing, here's a summary: the media is misrepresenting men and fathers as not being caring, nurturing parents. Men are stereotypically shown not knowing how to change diapers or fix lunches or care for their own children. This is wrong, because fathers are just as capable as mothers of being devoted, loving caregivers to their children.

This article makes a great point. It's very true.

It's also in the Deseret News.

I laughed about it for a while, then told my nevermo friend (who posted it because he is a very devoted dad who works in children's media and is actively trying to change that stereotype) exactly why it was so funny. I told him about the Proclamation, and the whole "fathers preside over their families" while "mothers are primarily responsible for the nurture of their children". He had no idea that DesNews was tied to TSCC (the article just showed up in his reader because of the "dads in media" content), and agreed that it was a strange choice for them to publish it.

Options: ReplyQuote
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.