Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: moira ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 11:47AM

I have had headaches all of my life. You name them, I get them. I saw my doctor yesterday to touch base. I was lamenting the fact that I don't trust Excedrine anymore because of the recall. She knows my ex-mo status. I quipped that I was lucky I wasn't Mormon anymore and could drink my usual latte with a double shot of espresso to head off the headache. She said, "I'd just tell you to drink two Mountain Dews with a Tylenol...like I already tell my Mormon patients."

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Human ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:14PM

Ha.

Me too. Hate them. Sometimes they're so debilitating.

I use caffeine pills and generic ibuprofen, sometimes lots of ibuprofen.

Posted by: Rosyjenn ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:25PM

I have suffered from hedaches and migraines for 26 years now. I take daily aspirin/tylenol/caffeine pills and cannot skip my daily cup of coffee. I also take Topamax to help prevent them. When a terrible migraine hits I have maxalt and sumatriptan to take. After leaving the church my migraines got 50% better. :)

Posted by: rhgc ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 12:42PM

Drop the sugar and add aspirin to the coffee drinking. It works better! BTW, my DW has the headaches, not me. I give them.

Posted by: msmom ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 01:24PM

Mine radiate across my sinus area. A decongestant, taken early, also stops them.

Maxalt now has a generic I recently discovered.

Posted by: allen ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 03:32PM

I had recurring migraines growing up, and eventually it just didn't go away. Tylenol stopped working, Excedrin was becoming less effective. They tried giving me caffeine pills at one point, I was up for 3 days straight and the pain didn't fade at all. The doctors tried figuring out what was causing it, tried to find ways to treat it and nothing worked. Eventually being told "you're just making it up to get drugs".

After 8 years of a migraine that ranged daily from a 6 to a 10 on the "pain scale" I was "done". I spent some time getting things settled, then went to see my parents. It turned out to be a good thing that I went to see them first because my mom asked me to try a chiropractor that her friend went to. I went, because why not?

They did the whole workup for history and such, I got some wide-eyed looks when I told them the migraine was going on 8 years. The doctor told me outright that seeing a chiroprator doesn't always provide results that people want because the problem doesn't always "magically" disappear. They x-rayed me from head to tailbone and discovered that the top two vertebrae in my neck were offset and "catty-whumpas" as the doc said. It was causing problems all up and down my back, pulling muscles and just generally mucking me up. He used a tool known as an "Activator" to help make minor adjustments to the alignment of my spine.

They slowly brought me back to a standing position and as I settled to the ground I could actually feel the pain melting away. I scared the doctor when I reached out and hugged him, I was so happy to be pain free. It took about two years of treatment to slowly realign my spine and have everything remain in those positions by default, but I'm happy to say that after all that I've managed to have only 3 major headaches and 6 minor ones in the last 3 years.

Going to a chiropractor is not always the solution, but in this case it was the only solution. After so many years of the doctors in the hospitals not even bothering to check something so simple as my spine it was nice to have someone who was willing to take an overall look.

If your problem is big enough and other doctors can't find a way to help consider chiropractic help. Make sure to find one that x-rays you though, the ones who just throw you down and start messing with things cause more problems than they're worth. There's no sense in getting adjusted if there's nothing out of alignment.

Do not give up when the pain becomes too much to bear, there are options that people overlook too often. Frankly, I owe that chiropractor my life and will never forget the fact that he saved it.

Posted by: Levi ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 04:40PM

When I was TBM I would get headaches every single GD Sunday. Each and every week. I would take Tylenol before church before the headaches. Church gave me the mother fellas.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.