Recovery Board  : RfM
Recovery from Mormonism (RfM) discussion forum. 
Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Posted by: Elder Berry ( )
Date: February 24, 2013 02:58PM

http://www.mormonnewsroom.org/article/mormonism-news-getting-it-right-february-21
And "The World" is still getting it wrong in labeling Mormon fundamentalist - Mormon. Isn't that copyrighted by the morg?

What a load of crap. Reading this one would think other Christian religions think Mormons are Christian too! They don't. I know a lot of them Mormons and Christians.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: kentish ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 01:10PM

Mormons claim to be Christians because they believe in and follow Christ and they object when conventional Christians argue they are not....yet, they argue that fundamentalist Mormons are not Mormons even though they believe in the BoM from which the term originates. Goose and gander comer to mind.

Date: February 25, 2013 01:58PM

How many years have to elapse before you can all others claiming your founder are "not" your form of Christianity?

Posted by: NormaRae ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:18AM

That's why I never use the term "polygamists" when I am talking about that group of people to non-mormons, hell, even to mormons for that matter. I always use the term "Fundamentalist Mormons."

When I am asked a question that I know is in reference to the FLDS, I will say something like, "well, the fundamentalist mormons do that because it was the way the church was originally set up. The mainstream church has moved away from many of the original teachings that were supposedly a restoration of the true church of God, so they don't usually do that."

If Mormons believe they have a right to define Christianity their own way--completely differently than mainstream Christians do and then call themselves Christians, then fundamentalist mormons have a right to define mormonism their own way and call themselves mormons. You can't have it both ways.

Posted by: canadianfriend ( )
Date: February 25, 2013 02:46PM

LDS Mormons naturally want to distance themselves from FLDS, but Smith made their bed and now they must lie in it.

If anything, the FLDS church is more honest and authentic to Smith's original church. The LDS keep trying to re-invent the religion to satisfy their critics and keep the $$$ rolling in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/25/2013 05:53PM by canadianfriend.

Date: February 26, 2013 02:38PM

If Joe was a prophet, then the fundies got it right and the morg is wrong to change.
If Joe was a prophet succeeded by prophets who got it more right then Mormons Inc. got it right.

I guess it depends upon where you think false prophethood started in the Morg and so to bicker of what is a Mormon is absurd.

Either way, if Joseph Smith was a prophet for you you are Mormon. Period.

Funny, how how Mormon you are depends upon how much you accept Joe as a prophet. LDS Inc. Mormons only hold him as a prophet of successive prophethood. In 100 years "The Prophet" could be more or less like Joe's cult and it doesn't matter only as long as you recognize Joe's Rock Rolling.

Posted by: theGleep ( )
Date: February 26, 2013 04:07PM

I have a simple formula that sums this up:

((Mormon == Christian) < (FLDS == Mormon))

Date: February 26, 2013 07:42PM

It does beg the question, who is judging "right." This article is absurd from a Joseph Smith and Brigham Young perspective - Mormons were the ones who judged who was and wasn't "getting it right."

Posted by: nonmo_1 ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 10:20AM

From that link:

"Members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints respect the diverse beliefs and unique contributions of all the world’s faiths and are grateful when leaders of other faiths reciprocate that respect. In a report from al.com, an online news resource in Alabama, recently retired Catholic Bishop David Foley says Catholics and Mormons “are united through Jesus Christ our Lord.”"

I think some of the old-timers can remember when mormon leaders/prophet...DESPISED catholics....now they're all buddies I guess.

Date: February 27, 2013 12:17PM

nonmo_1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From that link:
“are united through Jesus Christ our
> Lord.”"

> I think some of the old-timers can remember when
> mormon leaders/prophet...DESPISED catholics....

And in some ancient member's memories saying that they were "one" meant that Mormons had been assimilated by the Whore-g of Babylon.

Posted by: summer ( )
Date: February 27, 2013 07:55PM

If the Mormon church really respected the "diverse beliefs and unique contributions of all the world’s faiths," then Mormons would quit trying to convert all these people.

Go to Topic: PreviousNext
Go to: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In

Screen Name: 
Your Email (optional): 
Subject: 
Spam prevention:
Please, enter the code that you see below in the input field. This is for blocking bots that try to post this form automatically.